“Best Trip I Have Been On”

The Palms at Pelican Cove
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
“Best Trip I Have Been On”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The flight seemed to take forever, but when we got to the airport we had one of their favorite taxi driver pick us up. Once we got there it was dark so we went to bed. Woke up to see the beach from my bed, without even sitting up. We went to get breakfast, which was incredible. The staff treat you like family. The kids were never bored ( teens and 10 year old), Chuck is great, he took the kids to do whatever ever seemed like fun to them, snorkeling and for the older ones scuba diving. Short taxi ride away there are great activities, snorkeling, hunting for sand glass, boating, horse back rides. The older kids favorite part seemed to be the ATV rides from Kendel, and the bar drinks. At the suppers it is always a fun time. Every other night there is a fun thing to do, fire dancers, trivia, dances, it's never a dull moment. I have never found the kids wanting to get off the couch this much. The Owners were amazing, always making sure everything is going well. It was one of the best trips I've ever went on. Everyone was happy and there was always something to do.

Room Tip: All rooms are an ocean view, ask for the closest building, less of a walk to the pool and restaurant...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was my second trip to the Palms, and I was coming back because of the great experience I had the first time around. I originally booked for early May, but the specific room I wanted wasn't available, so I adjusted my plans for early June. Worked out, as I was told it rained when I originally was supposed to be there. I had great weather for my return visit.

When I checked in, the room I specifically wanted (in the first villa) had been given to someone else, and I was set to be in another (in the second villa). Really, that was a minor quibble. In the room I was in, I had a view of the garden and the beach was a few extra steps away. The section of the beach by the second villa is a bit more rocky than by the first villa, but a few steps gets me from one to the other, so not a big deal.

The room I was in was similar to the previous, but the bathroom fixtures were much nicer. Loved the stone of the walk-in shower. The wall safe's key would stick a few times, and occasionally hard to open, but easy to deal with. The front desk did offer to have me jump back to the original room when that freed up, but since that was about half-way through my stay, it didn't make much sense for me to do so. I was satisfied with the room I had.

It was more off-season when I was there, so there weren't a lot of people around. For the most part I had the peace and quiet I'd come for. I spent the mornings walking the beach, then swimming or snorkeling, and the late afternoons and evenings at the bar. When the bar happened to get too noisy (due to event music which made things loud), I had a quite place on the beach to go and enjoy the pulse of the ocean.

The Caribbean BBQ was worth the price, and is recommended. All the food I ordered at other times (from my scrambled eggs for breakfast, to chicken breast for dinner) was very good. The stuff from the bar (cheese sticks, pizza, etc) were also good. Of course, I really enjoyed the rum punches which were made for me by my bar tenders (Matt, Rico, and Ocean).

The staff I interacted with were very friendly, from the people at the front desk to the security guards who sat near the villas in the evening to ensure guest safety. The saddest part about the entire experience was knowing I had to leave.

This is a place I'd return to as frequently as my $$$ allows me to do so.

Room Tip: The rooms in villa two have more light from the nearby condos, so that might be slightly disruptive...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 June 2014

When we had to leave!

The Palms was simply PERFECT for us and we would go back in a heartbeat if $$$$ allowed!

We arrived the last weekend of April (seems impossible it was so long ago . . . memories seem so recent) and stayed for a week. Since we were there to get married we paid extra for the special "Two of Us" package and were thus afforded a cab (van) ride all to ourselves which meant no intervening stops. Arrival and checking were absolutely painless and were soon in our room (#5). It was a ground floor two queen unit which opened right onto the beach . . . I mean we could get feet wet in 50 feet!!!

The room had rose petals spread over the beds and chilled champagne waiting along with beautiful cut flowers . . . Patti was in heaven instantly. We just chilled that Saturday and Sunday until we could get a rental car on Monday. By chilled I mean we layed out on the beach, swam, snorkeled, had a few drinks at the open air bar and simply let big city life ooooooze from our bodies into the sand. ALL the staff, I emphasize ALL the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly and we instantly felt comfortable will them.

This place is the polar opposite of the big, highly organized and impersonal resorts like you see on Cancun which was precisely what we wanted! If you need constant pampering, drink service on the beach, pretty cabanas and immediate access to droning jet skis this is NOT your place. The Palms epitomizes the concept of "island time" to their very great credit!

A bit about the beach . . . some have said this is not a place for a beach vacation and we couldn't disagree more! Yes, there are reefs very close to shore but in front of the main complex the bottom was fine and the swimming great! With the reef so close the snorkeling is great, and after having the famous (infamous :) Mitch showing us around the reef (during which he takes pics with his underwater camera) it was even better! After Mitch took just the two of us out for a night snorkel it was perfect!!!! When Patti came up out of the water her grin was so heartfelt and honest it was simply heartwarming . . . and she still grins to this day every time I mention it. Mitch enabled her to actually (most gently) hold an octopus as well as several other small creatures and being able to see them in the natural world was just icing on the cake! It was great to relax on the patio while watching Patti snorkel directly in front of the room, not sure where else that would even be possible.

I would be totally remiss to not mention a bit more about Mitch . . . man of many skills and as personable and fun as anyone you would ever want to meet! Besides the pics he takes while snorkeling (which he then puts on a DVD for you to keep), he also is a masterful tour guide on dry land; and he also makes a heck of a wedding witness when we dragged him away from his lawn trimming duties to be a witness at our very small, intimate wedding ceremony held on the beach. We absolutely wanted him to be part of the ceremony and the fact that he was covered with weed eater clippings simply added "charm" as far as we were concerned! Mitch, we miss you and hope to see you again!!!!

A few words about the wedding . . . since it was just Patti and I we wanted a very low level of formality which the Asst. General Manager, Marc went through great pains to provide! The level of effort and worry that Marc put into making sure everything met our desires was humbling to the point that we worried that he was going to wear himself out! Marc, it couldn't have been more perfect!!! From my first email to Marc weeks before we arrive to the moment we left Marc spared NO effort to make sure we were well taken care of. OBTW, Marc was also shanghaied into being a witness in the wedding even though he worried he didn't look "good enough". From the cake to the photographer to the Celebrant he arranged for our wedding was EXACTLY what we wanted thanks to Marc. Louise, the Celebrant, is the last part of the wedding story . . . our initial meeting, scheduled for a few minutes turned into a 2 hour session by the pool with someone we felt became an instant part of our family. WE had a wonderful conversation about who we were, and what we thought we wanted. She seemed to instantly understand our desire for an intimate but spiritual ceremony and intently listened while offering suggestions and ideas. The result was the perfect ceremony that we will never forget! The wedding picture of the 5 of us together; Louise looking wonderful in her flowing skirt, Mitch covered with clippings, Marc , and the two of us is one our favorites and will soon be hanging on our wall!

Many others have written about Monday Caribbean night so we well just echo what they have said and say it is a "don't miss" . . . especially with Mitch out there dancing :) Mitch also guided many of our fellow beach bums to the "Jump Up" festival on the water in Christianstead. It was a hoot and was a lot of fun! Oh, the Tuesday evening movie on the beach, also put on by Mitch was great fun!

Our travels around the island while driving on the left are also a pleasant memory . . . sure we got lost a few times, drove down some goat track dirt roads, and constantly repeated the mantra "stay left, stay left" but all in all it was just part of the adventure. Since we had completely embraced "island time" we simply never felt any pressure to be anywhere at any given time.

I'm sure I've left some items out but we can without reservation recommend the Palms facility and more importantly the staff! Go there with the intention of embracing island time and you will have a great time!! We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Room 5 was great. It was ground floor with immediate access to the beach. Top floor rooms probably...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steve W
Farmington, NH
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The Palms was just our style. Not ostentatious yet very enjoyable. The food was delicious and the portions were perfect. We visited during the first week in April at the end of the popular season which was perfect.
One tip: Don't sit under the palm trees at poolside unless you don't mind having a "friend" literally drop in on you! (See pictures). Mr Iguana landed 6 inches behind my lounge chair and I'm sure the shrieks were heard in Christiansted! One more tip: take your GPS with you if you are renting a car at the airport. It's a tricky place to find without one.
Rooms were clean, large and the bed was very comfortable. (Same pillow top as home).
Soooooo, good food, clean room, comfortable bed, quiet surroundings and friendly staff. What more could you ask for?
Try them out. We'll go back for sure.

Room Tip: top floor offers more privacy
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DarmieL
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We learned that the #1 rated hotel does not mean the nicest. The service was great, the food was very good and inexpensive, the rooms all have beautiful views, and Mitch is super nice and very helpful. But, be warned, the beach is tiny and rocky, and swimming is dangerous among the shallow coral. Snorkeling should only be done with Mitch, as the route in/out of the beach to avoid scraping on coral can be downright dangerous if there is any current (which there usually is). The rooms are fairly clean but sparse. It may not mean much to others, but we were also disappointed that the view is narrowly north, so you will not see any sunset or sunrise. We moved to the Buccaneer which is big and more expensive but very comfortable with 3 usable beaches (but still no sunset/sunrise views).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
18 Thank S_and_LK
IslandGroove, Manager at The Palms at Pelican Cove, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
We appreciate you staying with us at The Palms and for taking the time to comment on your recent visit.

Every Guest of course has different expectations as to what they want to experience on their vacation and their stay here with us. And almost everyone coming to the island has looked at the Guest reviews on Trip Advisor regarding The Palms and the many other resorts. TA is an excellent source of information for most anything you want to know about a resort, and it certainly helps to reduce surprises when you reach your vacation spot.

Our beach has been commented on many times, and while it is not huge, there is still lots of sand, sun, and coconut palms stretched over eight acres and a quarter mile of beachfront. Most of our Guests find that to be plenty, particularly considering that we are a smaller, more intimate, resort and the beach is almost never very busy. And our beach has been recognized internationally as the only Blue Flag beach on St. Croix. It has a lot going for it, including some of the best snorkeling on the island. While there are currents offshore, you’ll find that all reefs have currents. They are what make the reef so wonderful by bringing in food for all the marine critters. We know the water movement well and we share the knowledge with our guests – we even have it depicted on our beach sign. We offer complimentary snorkel tours, with all the gear, for our guests to introduce them to the reef and its critters, and to help them enjoy snorkeling even more when on their own. And many, including ourselves, comfortably snorkel the reef every day. Some less experienced snorkelers may choose to not go out by themselves. No problem, we are happy to accompany them at their request. That is what we do.

With regard to the room views, most of our Guests find them to be among the best on island - right on the water, with an occasional coconut palm and brown pelican accentuating the view. And since our beach faces northeast, our guests are most mornings treated to a stunning sunrise to greet the day.
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We recently returned from a wonderful week in St. Croix, USVI. We traveled with The Hurricane Hunters, who were working to get set for hurricane season, which starts next month. We are retired military, which qualifies us for that. We booked our rooms at The Palms based on the high rating of TripAdvisor, and we were not disappointed. Everybody from the GM, Juli, on down did everything they could have done to make our stay special. Every question or request received an instant response. Mitch made sure we had an enjoyable experience with the amazing shows and snorkeling experience. Our rooms was on the beach, and I mean ON the beach. When we stepped off of our patio we were in the sand and only a few feet from the water and beautiful palm trees. We plan to go back in December and will try to stay there. Thanks TripAdvisor for the reference!

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room, but there are no bad rooms. The second floor would just perhaps give a b...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank William M
Wickford, Rhode Island
Reviewed 25 April 2014

The Palms is wonderful. An active family, we appreciated the many options. Snorkeled after being taught in the pool. Our evening snorkel by flashlight was unreal. Chuck, the owner, geared us up with reef suits, wet suits and even gloves. Mitch, a wonder, led the snorkeling expeditions and Thursday walk. Saw octopus, rays, sea cucumber and a green turtle! We used our masks and fins throughout our week at other snorkeling sites. Loved the the history and flora walk through the neighborhood (learned many local flowers and trees) and sugar plantation. Visited Miss Rita, who shared sugar cane, a sweet ripe banana and a mango. Delightful Crucian woman. The Nature Conservancy, who owns the sugar plantation, is working to reinvigorate the coral reef. The snorkeling and hike were documented by photos provided on CD soon after the events! Pool is pristine. We swam nearly every day and lounged in the shade often. Nice ping pong table next to the pool. Loved the poolside visits of three iguanas- there are always lots of geckos. We enjoyed Caribbean Night- the moko jumbies were fascinating. Kiki and the Flaming Gypsies felt like something out of ancient Rome!

Buffet at Caribbean Night was good. Crucian rice and beans, yummy mahi-mahi, good ribs and desserts were excellent. Best Johnny cakes on the island. $25 for guests/ $30 for others a bargain. Food was good at the Palms. Reasonably priced. Pizza good. Burgers and fries- we often could not finish a portion. The bar serves good drinks. Beer felt inexpensive. We chose to eat often at the Palms.

We liked our room a lot. After our long trip my wife and I enjoyed our drink "on the house" and appreciated the small bottle of Cruzan rum which accompanied the Coke in the fridge. We chilled in the room often. Two comfortable queen beds. Refrigerator enabled us to enjoy juice, beer, snacks at our leisure. Waking up to sunrise- Northeast facing- and lounging in our chaises on the shady porch in the evening was a treat. Bathroom was nice. Stone tiled shower.

We loved the Palms. Everyone was friendly and helpful. It is evident that the staff like working at the Palms. If this sounds like your kind of place- go! You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room #17. Lovely stone tiled shower. Comfortable queen beds. Sunrise facing porch- two...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank johncandie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Buccaneer St Croix
The Buccaneer St Croix
#1 of 14 in Christiansted
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to The Palms at Pelican Cove? Share your experiences!