“Enjoy the Palms”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Arnold, Missouri
“Enjoy the Palms”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Great place to learn how to snorkel; Mitch was very patient with us. Staff was fabulous. My daughter had severe sunburn. One person ran home and got gauze and aloe and another one offered to stop by the store and bring us Neosporin. We ate almost every meal at the resort. The food is good and the atmosphere is very relaxing. Tuesday night is Caribbean night; loved it! We had the beach to ourselves. I can’t think of anything better than lounging on the beach and sipping a Lime in a Coconut drink. It can be difficult to find tourist attractions because most streets are not marked. It was easy however, to find Point Udall and downtown Christiansted. Be sure to go to Buck Island.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tedro03

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Bethany Beach, Delaware
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Extremely friendly front desk and restaurant staff. Ate all of our meals on site. Appreciated the varied menu with what I call "normal" choices. Prices were appropriate. One funny surprise was for breakfast I decided to order a fresh baked muffin. It might have just been the timing - but I thought I would never get that muffin - I'm pretty sure it was baked after I placed my order - definitely delicious and definitely fresh baked. But, I didn't make that mistake again as my husband was more than a little annoyed waiting over 20 minutes to get our breakfast :)

If you enjoy sitting out on your balcony be sure to check out your room before unpacking. We had to ask to be moved as our 1 bedroom deluxe beachfront room - although a perfect room - had a large balcony that had no roof so no shade or shelter from the hot sun. We spend a good deal of time on a balcony but since I've had my share of skin cancer - had to give up the great room for a smaller room on the first floor. That was disappointing but there was no way I could spend time out there in the blazing sun.

Our room had no clock - luckily I always pack a small alarm clock. I was glad the room had a safe but to call it a safe is a stretch. The safe is in the closet wall - a small door that opens with a key. Not easy to open as with several coats of paint over the years I had to pry it open with the key most of the time. Then, once open it is only as deep as a wall stud. Could stuff in our wallets, passports, keys, but not much more. No one will steal the towels as they were the roughest towels I have every used - I dreaded using them. Luckily I wasn't sunburned!

Really appreciated the self service laundry room right across from our room - only $1.50 each for the washer and dryer - everything dried in one cycle too.

We didn't use the pool but it was inviting, large, and people seemed to really using it.

Now for the snorkeling. I booked this hotel solely because we were looking for a place to stay with good snorkeling directly from the shore. After reading review after review about the amazing snorkeling I knew that this was the place for us. I was really looking forward to having Mitch (or someone) give us our introductory snorkeling tour of the house reef. We are experienced snorkelers but knew from reading that the reef might be a little tricky to access. Well, I was sooo disappointed to find out that when we checked in that Mitch was sick. Obviously, a person gets sick or should take a day off here and there, but even though I had read in other reviews about people getting an introductory snorkel from other people, no one stepped up to give us one. I made a point of telling everyone that I met - front desk - 2 different people who took us to our rooms - that we were there solely to snorkel. I was directed to walk 5 minutes down the beach to snorkel or to go off property. So, that first afternoon, I did swim out in front of the pool area quite a way, but I was by myself and I was a little leery of the rip current postings, so I never did get to see all the good stuff people write about. The next day we walked down the beach about 5-8 minutes to the old dock. Two things to note - we had the bad luck of having low tides during the middle of the day and the water is extremely shallow. Nothing to see close to shore except tons of sea grass. We happened to meet a woman who lives there who was floating around. We asked her about where to enter to snorkel. First, she showed us that we would have to swim quite a ways out (where some spear fishing people were) and then we would could drift down around the corner for a ways. It might have been an amazing snorkel, but we decided that we weren't interested in drifting down that far and then having to walk back plus back to the hotel. So, we never did get to snorkel on site. That was extremely disappointing because the weather was great but the snorkeling didn't pan out.

It is interesting that when we went into Christiansted twice, we would stop and ask people in their boats or the shops about where to go to snorkel. When we told these people that we were staying at the Palms, not one person recommended the Palms for snorkeling. Oh well. It was just bad luck on the timing of our stay as most of the reviews rave about snorkeling.

As for the resort - definitely recommend. Easy, inexpensive and fast taxi ride into Christiansted. Good reasonably priced food for all three meals. Friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BethanyBeach
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Beautiful beach, awesome bartenders and staff, great pool area, clean rooms. The staff went out of their way to make sure we had a great time. They also offer great free snorkeling trips! We saw whales our first day there while eating breakfast at their beachfront dining spot. They also had fun night time entertainment at the resort.

Room Tip: Higher up rooms are better for views of the Ocean.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Steve M
Maynard, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We were supposed to stay at the Hibiscus Hotel, which closed and no one told us. The taxi driver took us there only to find the place boarded up. The took our down payment and never informed us that they were closing. The taxi driver took us to the Palms. We initially checked in for two nights and were planning to find another place, but the Palms staff was so hospitable. They kept on telling us to relax, which was hard because we were so frantic with two toddlers and no place to stay. They ordered us lunch, drinks, took care of our luggage. We stayed at their bar/restaurant for two hours before checking into our room. They really spoil their guests. The snorkeling with Erin was a great experience. She took us around the island, made sure we sampled the local exotic fruits, helped us plan our itinerary, took us downtown, to Buck island. Even brought toys and snorkel gear for the kids, made sure we all had lunch packed. It allowed us, as parents, to just sit back and enjoy vacation. Our stay at The Palms may have been accidental, but our loyalty is very intentional.

6 Thank Steve F
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This was the most amazing vacation that our family ever took! We have been to 22 countries and did not realize that we have this gem right in our backyard. Our kids asked if we can come back here next year. The experience has just been amazing. The staff is superb! The food is great. The drinks are reasonably priced. The rooms are large enough to accommodate a family of 4 in one room, with a deck with lounge chairs. The complimentary drinks and fresh flowers were very welcoming. The Caribbean luau with barbeque, fire dancers, people dancing on sticks, music, staff that attends to your every need was just phenomenal! Also met other families to hang out with. We have found our spot for family vacation and reunion! We highly recommend the Palms. Can't say enough great things about it.

2 Thank BostonMama411
Huntington, West Virginia
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Pro: 1) Good location in St Croix, 2) 20 steps from the room to the beach, 3) Good ocean view, 4) Room large and comfortable without issue. Lighting improved from our last stay, and they now have hair dryer in the room. 5) Staff was friendly and helpful. 6) Beach nicely shaded with palm trees and we had good privacy, 7) Pool was comfortable.

Con: 1) Beach was mix of sand, stones and sea grass so was difficult to enjoy, 2) Guests in neighboring rooms with wedding reception partied all night, slept during day so we had hard time resting. Calls to front desk were unanswered.

Overall, good relaxing time in a semi-private setting. Would give better rating if other guests would have been more respectful.

6 Thank Metals_Engineer
St. Croix,VI
Reviewed 7 July 2014

What can I say? I love the Palms! I love the staff! I love the rooms! I love snorkeling with Chuck! I love Caribbean night and Elvis' ribs! I love floating in the pool with a pina colada! It is everything I wanted for my vacation. I would have stayed forever!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank foodgirl89
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Buccaneer St Croix
The Buccaneer St Croix
#1 of 14 in Christiansted
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to The Palms at Pelican Cove? Share your experiences!