I'd love to rate the Palms a 5 because there were so many good things about it, but it wasn't perfect IMHO. We were there the week before Christmas, and the hotel was very busy hosting Christmas parties for island businesses, so the lobby and formal function room was nicely decorated. One evening, there was a huge party so the general manager provided free taxi service into Christiansted to get dinner because they were not providing table service to the hotel guests that night (just takeout I believe), so that was nice. The owners themselves were not there so we missed out on the reef snorkeling tour- a big disappointment. In summary, here is the good, the bad, and the ugly. The good: great food, friendly people, lovely beach if you want to snorkel, great bar area to gather at during happy hour with inexpensive happy hour drinks ($3 for anything), very good service for dining, good front desk service for taxis. The bad: we could not get decent sheets on our bed despite complaining twice, once to the front desk, then once to the general manager. The bottom sheet and some of the pillow cases were always worn and pilly, day after day, for the 4 days we were there. The room, number 12, a deluxe beach front room on the second floor, had a beautiful view of the beach and ocean, but only if you were standing up because the balcony had a solid wall on all sides! You couldn't sit on the balcony or the bed to read or relax and look at the ocean because you couldn't see the ocean. What a disappointment, since the beach was only about 75 feet away. The lounge chairs provided on the balcony are rigid plastic with no cushions, so generally sitting on the balcony was out of the question. The room had lovely sliding glass doors on the entire wall facing the ocean, but no sliding screen door, so you couldn't leave the doors open to allow the wonderful Christmas winds in or you'd get mosquitoes, so in the evening, we were required to close the doors and run the air conditioner, another disappointment. I would have loved to listen to the ocean at night. The ugly: moldy, used coffee filters left in our in room coffee maker - couldn't bring myself to use the coffee maker.
So, I think the Palms could improve a bit. Definitely the bright spots are the dining/service, bar and the beach. The room, not so much. If you want a beach view you can see while sitting on your balcony, get the first floor room, which has a little patio instead.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Palms at Pelican Cove sits on 7 acres of coconut palms and white sand beach, and is just 3 miles west of Christiansted. There is swimming in front of the property, and with Long Reef just a few yards off shore, excellent snorkeling (day and night) is also available. We provide complimentary snorkel gear and tours of the reef. Our freshwater pool is one of the largest on the island and is regularly used by SCUBA for introductory dive lessons. We have a tennis court and complimentary gear. There are many hiking trails on the island and we regularly make excursions with guests. There are 40 spacious rooms at the hotel, and all offer panoramic oceanfront views from expansive terraces. All rooms are air conditioned, and are equipped with a small refrigerator and coffee maker. The Palms Restaurant is located on property and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Mahogany Bar is located beachside, serves up wonderful beverages, and has a late night bar menu. The front desk is open 24/7 and security is provided around the clock. Wireless internet access is complimentary. The Palms won the 2010 Best Beach Resort and Best Hotel on St. Croix as voted by readers of the Virgin Islands Daily News. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Palms at Pelican Cove reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Palms At Pelican Cove Hotel Christiansted
- Palms At Pelican Cove Christiansted
- Palms Pelican Cove
- Palms At Pelican Cove Hotel
- The Palms At Pelican Cove St. Croix/Christiansted