“Sharp Hotel With Lots of Character”
Review of Club Comanche

Club Comanche
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Hotel is in a charming old wooden building with lots of its old period details intact. My room had been renovated with upscale furniture and fixtures, a nice quiet AC unit, and a modest size flat panel TV. Plank floors and walls conveyed its history. Nice firm mattress. It also had lots of big windows with real working shutters.

Location is great in the heart of the tourist and shopping areas and just steps from the Fort Christiansted (sp?). There is a neat catwalk over a little street that takes you from the hotel proper to the open-air covered bar and then to the pool.

I thought the room was worth what I paid, and I would pay it again, but I would not consider it a bargain.

Practical Things:
- Wireless was free and worked fine.
- You can easily walk there from the seaplane dock; just stroll down the waterfront boardwalk until you get to the stone structure pictured below.
- Christiansted is very sleepy in the summer; there were small crowds at the restaurants but the streets and national park site were mostly empty. Most stores were closed on the weekend.

Room Tip: If heat is a problem for you, ask them to turn your AC on for you an hour before you return in the s...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank jtlongo

Reviewed 14 August 2012

I had a one night stay at the Comanche & it was a very pleasant!!!..the staff was wonderful, Nicole was very inviting friendly & helpful as well as Maria.  My room was quaint, comfortable, & very clean.  The view was lovely, I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends & I'm looking forward to staying again.  Note: There is a bar/restaurant attached to the hotel so it might be a little noisy at night for guest that are looking for a really quiet hotel.  In addition, the hotel does not have an elevator so you will have to walk up stairs.  This hotel is great for students or couples looking for a quick get-away.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I saw that it have new stuff their the last time I stay july 2011 it was horrible including the pool but thanks to the employees their was nice think the names was cristen and dena they did everthing to keep me their Iwas also their in May everything was looking good but didn't see cristen I had bought back gifts for her and dana I think her sister works their but didn't see her either but on that my room was always clean thanks to the staffs ........wait a minute need a supervisor thats professional

Room Tip: historic rooms are good # 6 and #3
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank billy t
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stayed here overnight in one of the historical rooms. I recognize that they are trying to keep the hotel historic, but we were concerned about security. No double lock on the door. When you leave, you just turn the little lock screw on the door. I assume that the floor boards are the original wood. However, some were far apart enough to look down below. It seems that no-one stays at the front desk. When I just arrived, a guest went to tell the front desk person that I was there to check in. The rooms are clean, but furnishings are sparse. There was a closet, but no drawers except for stationary. For an overnight visit, that's fine, but for a week, it would be a problem and you'd have to live out of your suitcase. I also didn't like the fact that parking had to be on the street. We spent quite a bit of time circling around to find parking.

Room Tip: Recommend for overnight stay and if you don't have transportation. Be alert and aware when walk...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LindasDoral
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Thank you very much for the comments and the management has already been informed and will do the utmost in order to rectify the mentioned challanges.
Looking forward to welcoming you again at the Club Comanche.

Reviewed 6 June 2012

Took my boyfriend out to St. Croix for his birthday. This place looked nice sort of old world historic and charming. The whole property was very clean, it had an elevator but it doesn't appear to have been working in a long time so, we had to use the stairs. The room was so charming and cute, the staff was very friendly and helpful and the hotel did have an old world feel.
The pool was drained at the time of our visit, but the beach was only a 5 minute ferry ride away and the dock to catch the ferry was about a 3 minute walk from the hotel. The back of the hotel is on the marina and it was an easy walk to many of the other restaurants around which is good, cause there isn't one in the hotel. The bar was open air and comfortable.
We had a really nice time, laid back relaxation and quiet. I know there were mentions of the hotel being noisy prior to our booking but we didn't find it noisy at all, except on Saturday when there was a Salsa party in the bar which was right by our room.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank TravelinTiffNYC
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Thank you very much for your response and we are looking forwadr to welcoming you again to the Club Comanche Hotel.

Reviewed 3 June 2012

My travel agency booked myself and a friend came with me on this trip that I was turning into a vacation after my business on the island had finished. I worked all day Wednesday and Thursday and left her to do whatever she wanted during the day.

When we checked in, the room was normal from what I had remembered on my last stay in October of 2011 however; there was no refrigerator. We were given the typical outside key to gain access into the building plus our room key and I and my travel companion had our own sets of keys. On Wednesday, the staff brought a refrigerator into the room. I was happy they had done so. We found Wednesday night and the rest of our trip when we returned to the hotel, the hotel was not locked up as it had been when I stayed during my October, 2011 trip.
Thursday was the problem and the days after that just added to the frustration. I was at work all day. My travel companion placed her purse into the wardrobe and left for the beach about 10:00AM and came back at 2:00PM to find that an iron and ironing board had been placed into the wardrobe and her purse had been moved and the purse was missing $80. Upon returning from work and hearing of this, I immediately went down to talk to the hotel front desk staff. She took my information down, apologized and said she would contact the hotel manager and property owner when they got back as they were off the property. I gave her my cell phone number and insisted it was important they contact me as soon as possible to attempt to resolve this issue. I never heard anything back the entire day.

Since Thursday concluded the business I had on the island, we got up late on Friday and were getting ready to walk out the door when a hotel cleaning staff knocked on the door indicating who she was. We confronted her about the missing money and she sincerely apologized and swore to us that it was not her and that she had heard about the theft. This tells me that the hotel staff was aware of the problem and made me seriously question why I had not heard from the hotel manager concerning the theft issue. She also indicated that we were the only guests staying in this part of the hotel this weekend so the hotel manager could not have been too busy to address a dissatisfied guest, in my opinion. She also told us exactly the areas she would not go near because our possessions were there.

Upon coming back from doing a bit of shopping in the area, I went down, again, to contact the hotel front desk staff and request to speak with the hotel manager. I was greeted by the same individual who checked us in on Tuesday and explained the situation to him. He immediately denied doing it yet admitted that he was the individual who gave us the iron and ironing board. He would have been in the wardrobe during the time the theft took place or someone else was in there during that time in addition to him. The hallways of the hotel have cameras and the security camera monitors seem to be in good working order from what I could tell looking at the monitor behind the front desk. He offered to look at the tapes and I, again, told him what the time period was when my travel companion had left the purse in the room, when the theft took place. I also requested that the hotel manager contact me and again, heard nothing from the hotel manager that day.

On Saturday, after our snorkel trip, I, again, went down to the front desk and explained to the woman what had happened and she went upstairs and looked for the hotel manager after trying to call the manager from her cell phone. I, again, left my name and number and again, I had not heard anything from a hotel manager.

It is now Sunday and we will be filing a police report and we will be attempting to contact the hotel manager one last time.

I realize that the hotel manager probably was not the person who took the money however; being a manager, you are responsible for the actions of your employees and the safety and security of your guests and their possessions. What is inexcusable is the complete and utter failure to contact the guest to simply apologize for what happened, let alone make any attempt to make it right. As someone who has owned businesses in the past, failing to at least contact the dissatisfied customer to make at least an attempt is either cowardness or Incompetence.

We also had a problem with someone in the street laying on the horn at 6:00 in the morning for a good 10-15 minutes. The rooster crowing is also a problem. There is no insulation in the walls. If you are a light sleeper, you are going to hear the noises out in the street.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here, make sure you use the safe for anything of value and bring your own surv...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Khilzinger
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

In reference to your comments we would like to point out that no hotel in the world takes responsibility for items,valuable or money left in the room or any other area at the hotel.
The hotel offers saftey boxes free of charge for this purpose.
Most guests spent more time outse the room and hotel hotel premises therefore the possibility
that itmes are misplaced during that time without the guest noticing it are very high.
Furthermore only and officially perforemd investigation and the proper follow up indicates
that a specific person was involved and guilty, noone should be accused at any time by anyone.
The guest was compensated due to goodwill and without admittance of any shortcoming by the hotel and proof of anything.

Reviewed 1 June 2012

Once I had decided against the idea of staying a a big resort far from town, I began looking at the hotels in the historical center. The Club Comanche appealed to me based on it's location and the history of the building itself. The main part of the hotel has stood there fore 250 years though the entire colonial history of the island. It's hosted presidents and scholars and weathered the storms through good times and bad. It boasts the island's first elevator (not working at the time of my visit but interesting) and the island's first swimming pool. The whole place has been painstakingly restored with great deference to it's historic character and furnished with antiques and reproductions for a very authentic feel. Like most historic wooden hotels, the walls are thin and you may hear some noise from other rooms or from outside but though other reviews have called it noisy, I really did not have a problem with this from my third floor room. The whole property is very clean and the open air hotel bar brings in a very friendly mix of visitors and locals. The bar has live must on some nights and I was told that there is salsa dancing one night per week. This is a great place for an independent traveler who wants to feel the culture of the area firsthand but visitors should know that there is no 24 hour front desk staff so if you are arriving very early or very late it s a good idea to call ahead to be sure that someone will be there to greet you with your keys. The building has key access after hours and the area feels very safe. There is also no restaurant at the hotel itself but the bar serves small bites from the grill and there is a deli down below the bar and plenty of restaurants in easy walking distance. The staff is very friendly and were happy to offer suggestions or assistance when needed but mostly you will come and go on your own. There is no onsite parking but the lot down Strand St always had plenty of space. The location is right on the harbor so it is a good departure point for fishing or diving trips. If you're looking for an all-inclusive, tour-managed experience, this is not for you but for a more self-sufficient traveler, the Club Comanche provides a very clean, safe and comfortable home base from which to explore.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank DaizyB
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Thank you very much for your comments and we would e happy to welcoming you again at
the Club Comanche Hotel.