“Run down.... worse than any motel 6 I've ever been”

Colony Cove Beach Resort
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Beautiful location, beach is not for swimming or snorkling, the resort itself is run down and is in need of repairs. Our unit had had no updates in over 40 years, 1 little window airconditioner. Nice people but the try to chage you for everything and I do mean everything.....would never stay again to outdated.

Room Tip: stay away to outdated its a 1 star resort with no swimming
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank pigtail1963

Reviewed 26 April 2013

For 10 weeks in the spring of 2013 unit A303 was my other home. The purpose of my stay was a combination of business and pleasure, escaping the Danish winter while working for my Danish clients. For this type of stay there are obviously other requirements than for a usual vacation. To me it was of great importance that I could have a normal household, i.e. do my cooking, laundry, cleaning etc. This condo has all kitchen utensils required for cooking! It also has a washing machine and dryer, which was absolutely essential to me. I did the cleaning myself, and the necessary equipment for this, too, was available.

One thing I had some concerns about prior to my stay was the internet connection. Would I be able to connect? How would connectivity be? I did have some problems, but the local IT guy was very helpful in helping me get connected. However, the current WiFi signal is not very strong and capacity is limited. This means that the best spot to work from was actually on the patio where I would be facing the transmitter directly. There was no signal beyond the living room, i.e. I could not connect from the bedrooms. I heard that fibre optics cabling has been installed right at Colony Cove, it is just a matter of wiring the units. I sincerely hope this will be done prior to my next stay as connectivity is crucial to business people like me.

There are TV sets and DVD players in the living room and master bedroom, and a combined radio/CD player in the living room.

When it comes to shopping there are two grocery stores in walking distance. Food Town is my favourite and is reached in 10-15 minutes, 5 min by car. They have a large selection of quality food items, and the staff is helpful and friendly. The other one is Pueblo.

Shortly after Food Town you will find the Salud Bistro which is a great place to have dinner. The food is delicious and the staff very friendly. Closer to Colony Cove you will find the Breezez Restaurant.

Colony Cove has a very nice and relaxing pool area. Right outside is a small private beach area, and if you take a stroll on the beach you will pass the other resorts and have a view of part of Christiansted. For beaches with soft sand I would recommend e.g. Carambola Beach Resort, the Buccaneer, Rainbow Beach, Sandy Point etc. If you don't have a car you can go by taxi, they have fixed rates.

I never had much contact with the front desk as I had rented my condo directly from the owner, but the few times I did approach them they were very friendly. The security guys were always very kind and instantly made me feel at home.

I am already looking forward to my next stay, thanks to the owners for making me feel comfortable prior to and during my stay by readily answering my numerous questions.

Room Tip: Unit A303 is ideal for working on the patio with your laptop as the patio is facing N/NW which also...
Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank 279
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Our accommodations at Colony Cove were very satisfactory. We rented directly from an owner. It was clean, comfortable and the people were"just right" attentive.

The problem lies with the "tire reef" out front which, to experienced and devoted snorkelers, was very disappointing. This was true of the water quality in this area which does experience waste spills. Some on the island minimize this, others do not.

The diving in the area is good, not world class. But that is what has happened in the Caribbean in general.

The traffic on the island is significant. Bicycling is not a real option except in some areas of the far Northwest end.

Catharine

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Patrick575
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Love the Colony Cove - a true resort at the right price. Stayed there with my family including older teens and had best time. The condo is more than adequate and the location is so perfect to the town and all the fun places.

The pool and facilities were the highlight of the trip and where we spent a good part of our time. The people at the facility were extremely helpful in helping arrainge boating, jet skiing, snorkling, kayaking and all the fun stuff we love to do.

Yes we are coming back!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Gary S
Reviewed 22 October 2012

My now husband and I just stayed 2 glorious weeks in unit A-102. We were married in the beautiful gardens and had an amazing time. The condo itself was clean, comfortable and had everything we needed or wanted. Whitney Youngen who managed the condo was amazing to deal with, very responsive and so helpful. The unit was a great find and we can't wait to go back :) Thank you Whitney for letting us be married there and providing an amazing place to stay!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Desiree P
Reviewed 12 October 2012

I give colony cove a 5 star rating newly renovated, beautiful turquoise ocean view and a fantastic pool area. Clean rooms and very friendly staff. I would recommend this to my friends and family, this is my second stay and we enjoy colony cove. Very close to market and town
Rhonda Curtiss

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Rcairjam-Rhonda
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We spent a week this summer at this resort, right on the beach. The complex has been renovated and painted and seems to be in top shape. There is a nice pool, a lovely tropical garden and of course a beach. The staff was very helpful, especially Liz in the office. We loved walking on the beach and snorkeling around a manmade reef in the bay. The bay is protected by a coral reef so the waves are small and it is very easy to snorkel. We saw rays in the sand and lots of colorful fish. The location of the complex is very good... just 5 minutes to Christiasted. There were 2 grocery stores on the main street so we could easily cook in the condo. We had a wonderful dinner at Breezes which is just up the beach. We stayed in 102D which is right on the beach. It is a clean, well equiped condo and the view of the beach and water is spectacular. The condo looks like it has been completely renovated with new bathrooms, kitchen, furniture and applicances We loved having breakfast outside on the lanai, just a few feet from the waters edge. Although it is right on the beach it seems very quiet and private. Many days we had the beach to ourselves. A word to the wise, the only building that is oceanfront is the D building. The other buildings have a view of the garden and the pool but do not look directly out on the beach and water. We were very happy with the unit and Colony Cove for a value priced beach vacation on St. Croix. We will be doing it again and staying in the same unit.

Room Tip: The D building is right on the beach.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Julie F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Sugar Beach Condo Resort
Sand Castle on the Beach
Sand Castle on the Beach
#2 of 4 in Frederiksted
Club St. Croix Beach and Tennis Resort
Club St. Croix Beach and Tennis ...
#10 of 14 in Christiansted

Been to Colony Cove Beach Resort? Share your experiences!