“Nice view, helpful staff”

King Christian Hotel
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Nice view, helpful staff”
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We booked a smoking room at this hotel at hotels.com, we were going to stay for New Years weekend Jan. 2012. They advertise smoking and non-smoking rooms, they also advertise they are the only hotel with an elevator in Christiansted. I am disabled and can not do stairs or walk very far and must use a wheelchair to "walk" more than a couple feet. We booked this hotel even though there were some really bad reviews from 2006-2008, the only reason we booked in spite of the bad reviews was because of the elevator, we figured that the reviews were old and during renovation time so we decided to try it out. We got there and they had us on the third floor, and they advised us that it is a SMOKE FREE hotel (as well as the other hotels on the island) AND the elevator has not been working for quite some time now! This was a huge problem as there was no way for me to get up to the room! After several hours of trying to contact hotels.com via telephone, the front desk clerk, Joyce, finally got in contact with them. While I was busy trying to contact them, Joyce was busy arranging for us to stay at the Comfort Hotel just up the road, she guaranteed me a room on the bottom floor and called the hotel to reserve it so that we would not waste anymore of our valuable time searching for a hotel. We had to wait another 45 minutes for Hotels.com to transfer our reservation to the Comfort Hotel. Joyce was a blessing in doing all this while I waited on the phone, we are very thankful to her! I will write a review for the Comfort hotel, but wanted to mention this one as well and let everyone know that they upgraded the hotel (from what I saw) and the renovations (from what I saw) were complete. Be advised, if you are expecting to walk in the lobby and be awed, you probably shouldn't stay here, there is nothing fancy about it, but it is in my book just your average hotel in St. Croix. It is reasonably priced, beautiful view and steps away from the ferry to take you to the island beach, which by the way, be careful what they charge you, the one ferry had listed $2 per person, but when he saw us as tourists he said it was now $5 per person, we would have paid the $5 per person if the sign on his boat had said $5, but we walked away and saved it for another time, not wanting to feel like we were being taken advantage of, especially after a group of people got on and only paid the $2 per person rate!
Not too much more I can say about this hotel, they were booked, and no one was complaining, and they were very helpful in getting us another room just down the road a bit. I am not sure if I would stay here on my next visit to St. Croix for the mere fact that I really liked the Comfort Hotel.

Room Tip: If you are disabled, call ahead to make sure the elevator is working!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tristalia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Very rude and unprofessional staff. Should require all employees to take a course in hospitality. Walls are very thin, you can literally hear every move in the room next door.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank Nghood

Travellers are raving about these Christiansted hotels

PR
Reviewed 27 November 2008

Although the personnel are very friendly, the hotel facilities are in bad shape. This hotel needs a renovation urgently. Continental breakfast was included and was ok. The location is perfect but no parking, trying to find a parking spot in Christiansted between 8 to 5 is impossible. When I got to the room the TV was not working. I informed the problem and was told that help was on its way. After a long time waiting, they moved me to another room where the TV was working but the AC leaked and froze at night. The noise woke me up at 2:30 am and I had to turn it off for a while. All the water poured on the rug. The fan in the ceiling made a lot of noise if put in more that the slowest speed. Thank God I stayed only 2 nights. Unless they renovate the facility (as other old Hotels in the area doing) stay away of the hotel.

Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank chepedra
Denmark
Reviewed 23 June 2008

I can see that many have had bad experiences with this hotel. I must say that I think it was quite good.

We stayed in a superior room, which I can recommend. The room was nice, clean and big. The location was perfect, close to the town and to the beach near Hotel on the Cay. The pool was alo nice and they have restored it recently. There was also a big sundeck with seaview. The only thing I disliked was the service at the reception desk and in the breakfast restaurant. It was very long-winded.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service at the reception desk and in the breakfast restaurant
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank Pedersen_Denmark
ontario
Reviewed 19 June 2008

We stayed at this hotel during the Ironman and the location was great. We reserved a balcony room for 4 nights but were told our reservations were only good for 3 nights? Didn't make sense! They did move us to another room but we were not happy. Our first impression upon arrival wasn't great, we had a big bike box and luggage that had to be slugged up the stairs because the elevator doesn't work! Our air conditioner never worked and we couldn't use the balcony because the door didn't work. We had so many problems with our room and it was frustrating that they didn't get addressed even after we complained repeatedly. We also had ants in our bed in our second room and it was just horrible to say the least. I would never stay here again!

Stayed May 2008
Weston, FL
Reviewed 21 May 2008

I usually try to find the best in places and avoid the negatives when I write about them. Unfortunately, even the best at King Christian is terrible. To start, my check-in was delayed for two hours because the reservation company (International Vacation) didn’t forward my paperwork prior to my arrival. This was just the beginning of the problems with International Vacation – but more about that in a minute. After the desk agent literally screamed into the phone at the reservation agent, the paperwork was sent through.

The elevator was broken so I had to carry my 50 lb. suitcase up four flights of stairs. The tiny air conditioner wasn’t keeping the room at all cool so I turned it as low as it would go. It helped a little but the bathroom was still warm and sticky (more on the bathroom later). Their claim of high-speed internet is misrepresented since it’s only available on a computer in the main lobby.

The bathroom shower and floor was filthy. I laid towels on the floor so I didn’t have to step on it. The hotel reeks and is old and beat up – the door to my room was cracked and the furniture molding was missing.

After two days I had stayed much too long so I checked out. My folio indicated that International Vacation had charged me nearly $100 more than they should have. The hotel said I needed to take that up directly with International Vacation – when I did, I was told that I never should have received a folio since it shows what their markup is. I travel extensively and I was shocked at this reply. Even their corporate offices had no interest in my satisfaction. Avoid a lot of pain and stay away.

• Liked — Short stay
  • Disliked — Misrepresentation
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank keefer-l
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 December 2007

This is a well-located, cute hotel that I wanted very much to like. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the hotel is right on the boardwalk overlooking the harbor. Unfortunately, there were so many problems that we checked out after the first night of a 3 night reservation.

I stayed at the hotel with 2 work colleagues (total 3 rooms). Upon check-in, we were told the elevator was out of order; one person was told her phone in her room did not work. In actuality, none of the room phones worked.

My room was large and airy, but the carpet was quite old and worn, and most of the furnishings had seen better days. The view was gorgeous, though.

The real problem was discovered when my colleagues tried to shower. They experienced, in various attempts: no hot water, no water, and brown water. One person's room had the same problem with the sink as well. Both were on the third floor while I was on the second (and had no problems). We checked out after one night, and were told a number of other guests did as well.

Apparently there was construction going on that disrupted the water supply...my understanding is that the hotel is being renovated, and the pool area looked new and very nice. Once the renovations are complete, I think this will be a great place to stay. But in the meantime, it would be wise to check whether basic services, such as phone & water, are operating.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled on business