“Very amazing front desk staff though everything else needs work”

King Christian Hotel
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I took the first flight out of San Juan and after picking up my car rental I was at the hotel about 8AM. Check-in was much later but the kind front desk woman allowed me to checkin early. I had a few encounters with her as she worked a double that day and she was extremely helpful.

The next day I had a job interview and asked if I could check out about 2 hours late so that I could come back and change. That was also fine with them. I was very happy with the customer service.

So I get to the room and there is an odd smell. I was so tired as I had been up all night studying before I caught the morning flight so I could not be bothered changing rooms and I delt with the smell. The AC barely worked. I fooled with it but it was more like a fan. In April no AC is not a big deal. I live in Puerto Rico which is about 75 miles away and I will not turn on the AC for a couple more months. But if it was July or August I would be complaining.

After I woke up from my nap I went to use the coffee maker and not only was their old grounds in the coffee machine there was stuff floating in the water of the coffee pot as it was not emptied. It grossed me out.

When I went to take a shower I had to let the water run for no less then 10 minutes to get luke warm water. Even though I live in the Caribbean I like my hot showers. I didn't feel clean.

Also the room was loud I could always hear noise and I am not sure why as I had a corner room on the top floor so it should have been quiet.

I used Continental miles to book this room and had I checked Trip Advisor I am sure I would have booked elsewhere.

It was nor horrendous but I bunch of little, annoying things and I could have stayed somewhere nicer. Stay at your own risk. At least the front desk staff will take care of you.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ChanelCinq

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Spectacular location right on the harbor in downtown Christiansted St Croix- great view seeing the seaplanes land/takeoff in the bay right outside your balcony, but.....nothing works in the hotel!! The elevator was long since abandoned as terminally broke-we had to haul our heavy bags up 3 flights ourselves-no one available to help. The A/C didn't work initially, the ceiling fan didn't work, pigeons roosting on the balcony and several outletshanging out of the wall, When their service man came up to check the fan his observation was.."it's broke" following which he walked away!! The bathroom was tired (no tub-just a shower) with some mildew, They are rebuilding a sundeck which other guests advised us is now in its 3rd year of construction. . But the room was clean and smelled fresh. If you need to be in center city Christiansted, this is the best choice but we wish we had stayed outside the city in one of the resorts (e.g. Buccaneer) and the price is very attractive relative to the big resorts.

Room Tip: if you have heavy bags, dont book upper floors
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank frequent_NJ_diner
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We had to go to K-Mart to buy our own towels. They were dirty and had spots on them. The cable television worked every other day and if you have the air condition on too long it conks out on you. Most of the staff had terrible attitudes and were uncaring. Don't stay there you will regret it.

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank Berniesue
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We just returned from 5 nights here. Lovely place with kind, sweet, attentive, staff. A wonderful view of the ocean from the third floor. I see some poor reviews from the past and think some improvments must have been made. The shower was never a problem. The room was clean. Plently of caring friendly staff around all the time if you needed anything. Yes, it is an older hotel with remiders of time past, but that is also what makes it special. Staff were kind friendly and a special shout out to Taki, she was great. Breakfast was nothing exciting but it was something. from looking at the cost of other location in st croix i truley got my moneys worth. found no need for ac if you ask me but we were given a remote so I assume this has been updated. Tv worked fine.

Room Tip: 309 was nice!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We booked a smoking room at this hotel at hotels.com, we were going to stay for New Years weekend Jan. 2012. They advertise smoking and non-smoking rooms, they also advertise they are the only hotel with an elevator in Christiansted. I am disabled and can not do stairs or walk very far and must use a wheelchair to "walk" more than a couple feet. We booked this hotel even though there were some really bad reviews from 2006-2008, the only reason we booked in spite of the bad reviews was because of the elevator, we figured that the reviews were old and during renovation time so we decided to try it out. We got there and they had us on the third floor, and they advised us that it is a SMOKE FREE hotel (as well as the other hotels on the island) AND the elevator has not been working for quite some time now! This was a huge problem as there was no way for me to get up to the room! After several hours of trying to contact hotels.com via telephone, the front desk clerk, Joyce, finally got in contact with them. While I was busy trying to contact them, Joyce was busy arranging for us to stay at the Comfort Hotel just up the road, she guaranteed me a room on the bottom floor and called the hotel to reserve it so that we would not waste anymore of our valuable time searching for a hotel. We had to wait another 45 minutes for Hotels.com to transfer our reservation to the Comfort Hotel. Joyce was a blessing in doing all this while I waited on the phone, we are very thankful to her! I will write a review for the Comfort hotel, but wanted to mention this one as well and let everyone know that they upgraded the hotel (from what I saw) and the renovations (from what I saw) were complete. Be advised, if you are expecting to walk in the lobby and be awed, you probably shouldn't stay here, there is nothing fancy about it, but it is in my book just your average hotel in St. Croix. It is reasonably priced, beautiful view and steps away from the ferry to take you to the island beach, which by the way, be careful what they charge you, the one ferry had listed $2 per person, but when he saw us as tourists he said it was now $5 per person, we would have paid the $5 per person if the sign on his boat had said $5, but we walked away and saved it for another time, not wanting to feel like we were being taken advantage of, especially after a group of people got on and only paid the $2 per person rate!
Not too much more I can say about this hotel, they were booked, and no one was complaining, and they were very helpful in getting us another room just down the road a bit. I am not sure if I would stay here on my next visit to St. Croix for the mere fact that I really liked the Comfort Hotel.

Room Tip: If you are disabled, call ahead to make sure the elevator is working!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tristalia
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Very rude and unprofessional staff. Should require all employees to take a course in hospitality. Walls are very thin, you can literally hear every move in the room next door.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank Nghood
Reviewed 27 November 2008

Although the personnel are very friendly, the hotel facilities are in bad shape. This hotel needs a renovation urgently. Continental breakfast was included and was ok. The location is perfect but no parking, trying to find a parking spot in Christiansted between 8 to 5 is impossible. When I got to the room the TV was not working. I informed the problem and was told that help was on its way. After a long time waiting, they moved me to another room where the TV was working but the AC leaked and froze at night. The noise woke me up at 2:30 am and I had to turn it off for a while. All the water poured on the rug. The fan in the ceiling made a lot of noise if put in more that the slowest speed. Thank God I stayed only 2 nights. Unless they renovate the facility (as other old Hotels in the area doing) stay away of the hotel.

Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business