“Stay Away - Nothing Good Here”

King Christian Hotel
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Reviewed 21 May 2008

I usually try to find the best in places and avoid the negatives when I write about them. Unfortunately, even the best at King Christian is terrible. To start, my check-in was delayed for two hours because the reservation company (International Vacation) didn’t forward my paperwork prior to my arrival. This was just the beginning of the problems with International Vacation – but more about that in a minute. After the desk agent literally screamed into the phone at the reservation agent, the paperwork was sent through.

The elevator was broken so I had to carry my 50 lb. suitcase up four flights of stairs. The tiny air conditioner wasn’t keeping the room at all cool so I turned it as low as it would go. It helped a little but the bathroom was still warm and sticky (more on the bathroom later). Their claim of high-speed internet is misrepresented since it’s only available on a computer in the main lobby.

The bathroom shower and floor was filthy. I laid towels on the floor so I didn’t have to step on it. The hotel reeks and is old and beat up – the door to my room was cracked and the furniture molding was missing.

After two days I had stayed much too long so I checked out. My folio indicated that International Vacation had charged me nearly $100 more than they should have. The hotel said I needed to take that up directly with International Vacation – when I did, I was told that I never should have received a folio since it shows what their markup is. I travel extensively and I was shocked at this reply. Even their corporate offices had no interest in my satisfaction. Avoid a lot of pain and stay away.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank keefer-l

Reviewed 13 December 2007

This is a well-located, cute hotel that I wanted very much to like. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the hotel is right on the boardwalk overlooking the harbor. Unfortunately, there were so many problems that we checked out after the first night of a 3 night reservation.

I stayed at the hotel with 2 work colleagues (total 3 rooms). Upon check-in, we were told the elevator was out of order; one person was told her phone in her room did not work. In actuality, none of the room phones worked.

My room was large and airy, but the carpet was quite old and worn, and most of the furnishings had seen better days. The view was gorgeous, though.

The real problem was discovered when my colleagues tried to shower. They experienced, in various attempts: no hot water, no water, and brown water. One person's room had the same problem with the sink as well. Both were on the third floor while I was on the second (and had no problems). We checked out after one night, and were told a number of other guests did as well.

Apparently there was construction going on that disrupted the water supply...my understanding is that the hotel is being renovated, and the pool area looked new and very nice. Once the renovations are complete, I think this will be a great place to stay. But in the meantime, it would be wise to check whether basic services, such as phone & water, are operating.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank pkitty
Reviewed 16 September 2007

We booked the suite they had available at the property. It had 2 separate bedrooms, dinning area, kitchen and 1 bath. 2 twins in one room and what we thought was a queen in the other. They actually put two twin bed together to make a queen. Sounds odd but it was quite comfy. There was a nice balcony where you could sit out, look at the water, and catch a breeze while enjoying your favorite adult tasty bevridge. This room overlooked the bay and was steps from the water. The hotel is located in the heart of downtown Christiensted. Closest beach was a 3 minute ferry ride away. The views and ocean breezes were wonderful. The room was clean, staff very friendly, and any concerns we had were addressed adequately. The pool area was o k but nothing special. Fitness room was well equipped and updated. Free internet access was available. Although the hotel did not have a restaurant, there were a few really close by. Good food and cheap. Hotel had an area where they hosted continental breakfast every morning too. Price was right and we had a wonderful week at this property. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Badboyy1911
Reviewed 6 August 2007

When I first arrived, I have to admit I was extremely disappointed in the room. It was somewhat run-down, paint over imperfections etc, , but it was clean. I was in St Croix for a week, and toured for work all over the island. This hotel really grew on me and by the time I left, it was actually pretty nice, considering what I saw in Fredericksted & other hotels in Christiansted. Your expectations cannot be the same as those while in the States, if they are, you will be disappointed. The people were nice enough & it is a great location & can walk up & down the boardwalk to shopping & decent restaurants. Be prepared for everyone to be on island time & not in any hurry. Overall, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank krisc521
Reviewed 6 August 2007

I stayed at the King Christian Hotel in St Croix, August 1-4, 2007 and had booked a "superior" room. According to their description, the room had air conditioning, fans, tropical decor, and a beautiful harbor view. The room was terrible! There was an air conditioner, but it did not work. I reported the problem, but it was not fixed. The furnishings must have been at least 50 years old - the carpet was dirty and torn, the pillows were lumps, the view was of a pile of rubbish, and a stagnant cesspool full of mesquitoes. When I got into the shower my first morning, there was no water. The door into the room did not have any type of security lock or deadbolt, leaving me feeling very unsafe at night.
The phone did not work either. The condition of the room, as well as the entire hotel, was poor. The door to the bathroom had holes in it about the size of bullets, which left me wondering what had happened to the previous guest. The only thing good about this place is the proximity to Christiansted.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank CharlotteDane
Reviewed 8 June 2007

We arrived in our room and it was terrible. There were holes in the ceiling, rust around metal frames around the doors, and carpet was stained and dirty, and there was dirty hand marks around the door handle into the bathroom, and the toilet had dirty on it like it wasn't cleaned all the way. The air conditioner knob was broken off and they said, oh, you just need to plug it in and it will start working. We went back to the front desk and complained and they refused to do anything about it, they even refused to give us any money back because of the problems. We refused to spend time in that dirty hotel room , so we spent time out of the room and went back just to sleep and left as soon as we could in the morning. It was awful!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank knger1
Reviewed 18 August 2006

my husband and i stayed for two weeks, had a great time. the hotel was clean, and the staff were all helpful and nice. we had a great view over looking the ocean, nice breeze. we will be back too this hotel. love st croix, friendly people. vickie @al bowen

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple