“great place”

King Christian Hotel
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Reviewed 18 August 2006

my husband and i stayed for two weeks, had a great time. the hotel was clean, and the staff were all helpful and nice. we had a great view over looking the ocean, nice breeze. we will be back too this hotel. love st croix, friendly people. vickie @al bowen

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank bucca

Bronx, NY
Reviewed 17 April 2006

My stay at the King Christian Hotel was one I will never forget. First of all they mixed up my reservatiion check in date and cancelled my reservation, then when they checked to see if I was correct or not and when found to be wrong they didn't offer an apology. We were given a room with two twin beds with pillows that needed to be thrown in the garbage, the mini frig was nasty, the ice bucket top was broken and bent into the bucket,their was no ice machine,soda machine or anything else in the lobby except for a water cooler. The desk clerk didn't know how to turn on the telephone in the room and had a very non-caring attitude about it when I had a problem after paying my money for the phone.Maybe if the hotel finished their repairs first things would be better, but until then I would never stay their again.

• Stayed: March 2005, travelled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 January 2006

The reason for giving this hotel a rate of "Above Average" is based on what you get for your hard earned cash. I have travelled large parts of the world and stayed in quite a few hotels and this was a pleasant surprise.

I have read some reviews of people who were not very satisfied with the way things were at this hotel. Could it be because of their own attitude and/or ways of dealing with things? Yes, the pool was still under construction, but you have the clear warm blue waters of the Caribbean outside your doorstep (ok a 1 min ferry ride from the entrance) so who would spend time in a chloride filled pool anyway? Please also remember that things take a little longer in these parts of the world, something we maybe should learn from in the western hemisphere.

Yes, the hotel is a bit dated, but who cares? You only sleep there and/or spend most time on the balcony anyway. Its dead centre of Christiansted, the staff is so friendly and helpful and the rooms are quite large. You have a dive centre next door, a great little coffee shop (the Avocado pit) and Louis' bar.

We went for a cheaper option by not taking the harbour-view room, but got a large corner room with brilliant views of the harbour at no extra costs. The room was always spotlessly clean after the maid service had been there and nothing but smiles and jolly greetings.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who'd want to stay somewhere else than at the secluded beach resorts or boring mainstream hotel chains found elsewhere. This hotel has character.

Both thumbs up to Hotel King Christian...

PS. For all Danish travellers, there are Danish glossy magazines in the entrance hall for pictures and gossip about the royal family.

• Stayed: January 2006
9  Thank Cupart
Texas
Reviewed 7 January 2006

We just returned from a 7-night stay at the King Christian. We should have seen it coming from the beginning. The rooms were tolerable (the Superior rooms have a great view) and it's in a great location near shopping and restaurants, but the hotel personnel's customer service was lacking completely.
Because our flight to St. Croix was delayed, we called the hotel as soon as we knew we were not checking in the first day to inform them of our situation and that we would be arriving the next day to check in. Once we arrived, we were told our entire stay had been cancelled. Mgmt. was finally able to re-instate our stay, but we had to leave our luggage at the desk and kill time for them to prepare our room. Once that was settled, I decided to walk around and look at the pool; I was very much looking forward to several afternoons sunbathing. I found the sign with an arrow and followed it only to find a large concrete hole-a pool in the mid-stages of construction. A local boutique employee told us they have been working on it for 6 months. I was furious.
I inquired about getting a refund and checking into another hotel, but I had to wait until the next day when the manager returned. By then, we had other family there and I decided to just "put up with it."
But here are the other problems we encountered with our stay. Take your alarm clocks! One wake-up call was completely forgotten. Another day, they called and said they almost forgot to call. During a phone call regarding another guest's room they gave the room number and then said they would transfer, but then changed their mind and said we could call from our phone. On our last day before checkout, we tried to call a toll-free # (which costs $1), but we had no phone service. When we called the desk they told us they needed a deposit. Upon checking out, my husband asked to make a call from the desk and the attendant told him they were not supposed to do that and he should have called from the room. When he asked if she could not call us a taxi, she said "You should have said that's what you needed."
Another day, I returned to my room during the day and found 2 housekeepers sitting and relaxing in the room, enjoying the breeze from the water through the patio door through the front door.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 5 January 2006

We stayed at the King Christian over the New Year and were intitially given a very shabby, run-down, tiny room with a view of construction rubble. As we were supposed to have booked a "superior" room facing the harbor, we complained and were told that there were none of those available. We were moved to a larger room with twin beds that faced the town and were given a harbor view room the following day. The balconies are small and very hot if the air unit is running, the ceiling fan did not work and the entire pool area was under construction, something Expedia failed to mention. The location is the best attribute, and once the pool area consturction is complete this place has potential. Oh, and constuction noise began at 8am one day. Of course, one doesn't go to St. Croix to sit in a hotel room, but I felt somewhat mislead on what to expect and was slightly disappointed. Ask for room 301, it's a good one with a very nice view and nice sized balcony.

• Stayed: January 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 May 2005

We stayed at this hotel our first night on the island as a stop over on our way to St. Thomas. Hotel was clean and our room had a balcony overlooking the harbor, however, it is an older hotel that appears to be going through some renovations. Location is great - right in town within walking distance of everything including the boat ride to Protestant Cay right across the harbor. If you are looking for a resort - this hotel isn't it. However, if you are looking for convenience this is a good hotel. For any extended stay I recommend Carrington's Inn - which we stayed at on our return to St. Croix - its a B&B just outside of town.

• Stayed: March 2005
4  Thank LoveFL
Reviewed 18 September 2003

We did not stay here, but put our guests for our St. Croix wedding in this hotel, on the recommendation of our wedding coordinator. I had been nervous about it, as I had not gotten great response from them in the planning process. However, it was a great decision-good rates, and every room is a little bit different. For my husband's family, there was a room out on the dock with 2 bedrooms for his parents and his older brother to share. Another friend of mine was on the other room on the dock, which was surrounded by water- what a gorgeous view! Everyone else had a view of the cay and the historic fort on their balconies.
The rooms are very tropical in feel, but have some older furnishings and fixtures. The management was also very helpful to us, letting us put our guest bags in the rooms personally! It is not a 5-star resort, but a great little hotel on the Harbor for the traveler on a budget.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member