“christmas winds”

Lightheart Sailing - Private Charters
Ranked #8 of 27 Tours in Christiansted
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy a private sailing charter in the spectacular Virgin Islands. Learn to sail, or just sit back and enjoy the ride on the beautiful s/v Lightheart, a Hanse 400e. Lightheart is a modern, sleek and luxurious 40-foot performance cruiser monohull. Around St. Croix we offer full day, half day, and sunset sails. We also offer week-long charters throughout the US and British Virgin Islands, with or without American Sailing Association certification courses. Lightheart Sailing has been named "Best Charter Boat on St. Croix" by the Virgin Islands Daily News, and Captain Peter Branning has been named an Outstanding Instructor by the American Sailing Association.
Portland, Oregon
“christmas winds”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

we decided to take a refresher course before heading up to sail in the
bvi for a week......our first day out we experienced 28 mpr winds and 7 ft swells..... we were sure glad we had spent 4hrs out with Peter prior..... we're in our 1st year of sailing and were great ful for Peters experience in helping us overcome our fears....... he was truely awesome........great person great sailor......great experience...... Jeff and Laura Condit Portland Oregon.......

Visited November 2013

Topsail Beach, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Way to See St Croix, USVI”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

What a great day trip sail we enjoyed with Martha & Peter. If you enjoy being on the water, this 41 foot sailboat will be a lot of fun.

Martha and Peter are great. They let you relax as much as you want, or if you want to be hands on, they let you take the helm and explain and show you how to sail and tack and the principles of sailing. My boyfriend and I enjoyed taking the wheel and the power of sailing, it was exhilarating!

The coastline of St Croix is beautiful and sailing is a great way to see the coastline from the water without the noise of a motor. With Captain Peter and Martha at the helm the Lightheart glides through the water with such ease, in harmony with the sea.

Captain Peter sailed us into the Christiansted Harbor, which is charming. We also sailed to Salt River which makes for some great photo opportunities.

You are in great hands with Martha and Peter. I highly recommend booking a charter on the Lightheart on your next trip to St Croix.

Visited October 2013
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fantastic experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

My experience aboard Lightheart with Captain Brenning stands out as the most enjoyable, peaceful and unique adventures of my adult life. For my 45th birthday, my two girlfriends and I wanted to travel the British Virgin Islands for an active and relaxing five-day jaunt. Captain Brenning’s impressive resume of the water and attentive communication before the trip, made us feel comfortable. Additionally, none of us were experienced sailors but wanted to be involved as much as possible, so when he encouraged our participation, that cemented our decision to charter Lightheart. Throughout our trip, Captain Brenning was a patient, knowledgeable sailing instructor with superb managerial skills accurately finding and developing our strengths and preferences. With his thorough instruction, we were hoisting sails that first morning and confidently taking the helm whenever we wanted that afternoon. It took me that first day of sailing to leave the buzz of my hectic life behind to find the peace that only being on the water can bring.
There are some items I have to mention to any greenhorn sailors regarding physical comfort. As for seasickness, no one in our party had major trouble, but all three of us had some form of protection from over-the-counter motion sickness pills to the three-day patch. Better to be safe than sorry all the long, sick day. During warm weather, the Lightheart does not have air conditioning, so even though there are windows, hatches, breeze collectors and small fans, travelers should consider sleeping on the deck. It’s pretty awesome anyway to hear the fish as your alarm clock and see the glow of dawn before the sun starts its assent. Related to that, there may be some mosquitos at night depending on the wind and the mooring location, so the Off! Clip On Mosquito Repellent would be an excellent protection to have on hand. Finally, life on a boat has its limits. There is no Wolf six burner range in the galley. Small storage spaces work efficiently on a boat, so pack light. Fresh water showers are limited as well for obvious reasons, but there is a great deal of saltwater baths available for the taking. This is a not a Carnival cruise rather a real sailing adventure surrounded by the most beautiful Caribbean snorkeling spots and iconic island locales, which is exactly what we wanted.
Thank you, Captain Brenning, for a wonderful experience that will stay with me a lifetime. Fair winds and following seas…

Visited October 2013
“Awesome experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Wonderful ....an incredible day circumventing Buck Island! Peter and Martha are great instructors and Lightheart is very well appointed - a must do while on St. Croix! We loved how the boat sailed so smoothly and with ease.... nothing like the wind in your face while listening to the lapping of the waves as you cut through them; just magical!

Visited September 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“friendly, low-key, and relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

My wife, a friend, and myself went for a sunset sail from Green Cay Marina in St. Croix. We left while it was still light, watched the sun set, and returned by moon- and starlight. The Lightheart is a very clean and modern boat, big enough to move around on it a bit but small enough that you still feel you're at sea, close to the water and feeling it move.

Peter and Martha are competent sailors but have a very easygoing demeanor. They'll let you help with the lines and helm the boat if you ask, which is fun if you're thinking of taking up sailing but you have no idea what you're doing. My companions were content to just sail and look around. This would probably be a romantic little cruise for two, but the two of them are interesting to talk to so we all ended up chatting most of the way. They even hooked us up with some food (including vegetarian items, which I didn't think to ask for but I'm glad they had) and some local beer and rum punch.

I made reservations over the phone - Peter was good about getting back to me when I left a message. Their website is a little short on directions: don't bother Googling Green Cay Marina, just follow directions to Tamarind Reef Resort. You actually have to go into Tamarind through a couple of private gates to reach the marina.

Overall this was a very pleasant experience, and a great way to wind down and spend our last evening on St. Croix. Christiansted is surprisingly pretty from the water at night, and that's a great memory to take home with you.

Visited September 2013