Sand Castle on the Beach
The Inn on Strand Street(Frederiksted)
US$184
Club Comanche(Christiansted)
US$304
US$220
  • Breakfast included
Hotel on the Cay(Christiansted)(Great Value!)
US$266
US$210
  • Pool
The Buccaneer St Croix(Christiansted)
US$379
US$221
Travelocity
  • Pool
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort(South Coast)(Great Value!)
US$328
US$213
All reviewsday passst croixcruise shipnew ownersthe entire staffsmall poolrum punchdolphin villalounge chairssmall resortocean viewpool deckthe water was crystal clearsea glassother parts of the islandmahirelaxed atmosphere
Reviewed 5 March 2013

My husband and I spent a week at Sand Castle on the Beach and had a great time. The staff and guests were very friendly. The location was perfect...away from all of the hustle and bustle and on one of the nicest beaches on the island. It did get a bit crowded when the cruise ship came in, but it was a nice break and offered a change of scenery with people watching. There was still plenty of beach available.
The food at the Beachside Cafe was delicious and so were the drinks. It was pricier than expected, but then so were all of the restaurants on the island. The front desk staff were a pleasure and always accommodating, even for arranging a late check out. They will even hold your room key for you while you are on the beach so you don't lose it in the ocean...luckily for us a friendly soul found the key in the surf and returned it to the front desk!
We did rent a car for the week which allowed us to roam around the whole island as we wished.
Overall, it was a wonderful week.

Room Tip: We had a Garden studio with king sized bed. It was a little loud at times due to the proximity to the street, but was not a big deal. We were there for the beach and ocean more than the room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Marti R
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I would recommend the Sand Castle on the Beach to anyone, and I have many times. We've decided to make visiting it an annual event. The service is good, and whenever we asked for anything, we received it quickly. One night the electricity went out for a bit, and within minutes there were three people handing out more candles to each of the rooms & making sure we were alright. We were lucky enough to have a room by the pool which is a few feet from the beach. It was quiet and beautiful. I don't like touristy high-rises, and this is the exact opposite. The beach is perfect with hardly anyone using it, and the water is warm and an exquisite bluish-green. The sunsets are spectacular. We went to the resort's restaurant two of the nights & the food was delicious. We rented a car, which is perfect for traveling the island. Everything is less than an hour away, with gorgeous views and quaint villages and shops. My favorite part was the location & the surrounding beauty. Everyone we met was nice & friendly. I don't have a least favorite because everything about our stay was excellent.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Diane G
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I'm literally writing this review after I got back from purchasing a day pass from the hotel front desk. I came in on a cruise and was offered a taxi to their beach. I didn't know it was gonna be $5 per person to enjoy their beach, but whatever, that's fine. My wife and I got on the beach, moved two chairs over in the shade to put on sunscreen before walking to Sandy Point. Apparently the sand castle I was extremely close to was the waiters greatest achievement in life. The rude waiter proceeded to go off on me about how close I was to the sand castle and how if I messed it up he was gonna come down there! He did this while I was apologizing, saying I'm not gonna destroy it...while he was waiting on tables...in front of paying customers...in the restaurant! At first I thought he was joking, but I never got the sense that he was. It was extremely awkward and I couldn't believe it. This was at like 11:00 a.m. and I wasn't sure if they deal with drunken idiots around there messing things up but, dude, really! I'm in my mid thirties, an ex military member, and I'm putting on sunscreen, how deeply threatening do I really look?! I will acknowledge I was close to the thing but was well aware of my surroundings.

On another note, my wife and I had discussed how irritated we would've been had we stayed there and they let a bunch of day guests come over and take up prime real estate on their beach. However, it did seem the beach was the 100% only thing going for it!! Would've packed up our stuff and turned right around and left had we booked something here.

So if you're looking for a place that has a great beach but let's a bunch of non overnight guests come and share it with you then this is your place. Just be sure to keep a safe distance from the waiters lifetime achievement sand castle because ol' Mother Nature has her dibs on wrecking it and he's gonna be very angry!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hatesand
SpiritMixer, Owner at Sand Castle on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Good Day All-

From the beautiful beach at Sand Castle On The Beach, sending warm regards!

Now and then, mis-understandings clearly occur between the fleeting guest and the steady staff. In this particular case, the waiter -sand castle builder was in fact joking with the momentary guest.

What followed on the posting was an amplification of thoughts inside the beach guests' head that flowed out negatively, and for the what purpose? To cast dispersions, for something to do? To delight in stirring melee as one passes through the lives and livelihood of others is a curious occupation while on vacation.

If I were the Trip Advisor decision-maker about to post or not to post, this posting would surely
go away, thank you.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

The hotel itself is okay and the beach is very beautiful and clean however, it is not a private beach which I did know about.. the food, is, amazing! A bit pricey but extremely delicious. The white chocolate bread pudding is absolutely sinful. St Croix is a lovely island.

Room Tip: Rent a car for a day and see the whole island. It is worth it!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Krystal M
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Went to this location after our two day journey and the ship trip to St Croix, and loved it. After a short taxi ride from the cruise ship to the hotel it didn't really look much outside, but after paying our $25 for two persons it was great. We had two loungers, two free drinks, and the use of the facilities around the small swimming pool and straight onto the beach. The water was warm, it wasn't very busy and the sea clean and clear. We swam in the sea, had a drink at the small bar by the swimming pool and if we had wanted something to eat there was a restaurant next door. Hospitality was great it was just what we needed after the flights & after our first day at sea. We contacted the hotel via email before we set sail informing them of our arrival. After our very pleasant stay we got a taxi back to the sea port for the ship. Well recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends