Kass and I are frequent travelers. We are picky about where we stay and snarky when our expectations are not met.
Paul and the staff of Cottages exceeded our expectations - and then some.
We had a wacky schedule on STX, which made booking wonky. Everyone I dealt with at Cottages was a prompt and professional problem-solver.
The cottages themselves were clean, simple and mere strides from one of the nicest beaches in the world: white sand, clear blue Caribbean water, nice snorkeling. We never once turned on our AC, even in a "hot season" (summertime) visit. The breezes and ceiling fans kept everything sweet. It was nice having a kitchen so we could self-cater, but having the Beachside Cafe next door was a definite plus, and Frederiksted - with an assortment of restaurants - is five minutes drive away.
I think the key to enjoying a place like Cottages is to manage your expectations. If you expect Michelin-star dining, chocolates on your pillow and fawning servants, you're not going to get it. Cottages is very simple, very much a DIY sort of place. Want to snorkel? Root through the loaner bin until you find gear that'll fit. Don't bother trying to keep the geckos out; not only will they get in anyway, they'll eat things that will otherwise feast on YOU. We expected simplicity and peace, and that's what we got. It's not an all-inclusive resort. It's not meant to be. It's a small, bucolic Caribbean inn owned by the same family for a long, long time. On weekends, local Crucians come to the beach and have a good time. It's great fun! Every morning we watched a local lad bring his horse down to the water for a swim.
If I have one complaint, it's that Cottages is popular with families with small children. I am not overfond of small children, especially when they get excited, bored or irritated (read: LOUD). There was one mewling child who, though clearly nigh ten years of age, shrieked like a toddler every time something didn't go her way, which is highly annoying when you're trying to enjoy a quiet cocktail and read the book you borrowed from Cottage's small take-a-book-leave-a-book library. But that's not the Cottage's fault; that's on the parents.
Simply put, if you're traveling to Saint Croix, treat yourself to a few nights at Cottages by the Sea. You won't regret it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Established in 1949, Cottages by the Sea is a family owned and operated, beachfront, boutique hotel, located just south of the town of Frederiksted on the island of St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands. Our goal is to provide our guests with a quiet, friendly, relaxed, truly authentic Caribbean beach vacation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Cottages By The Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cottages By The Sea Hotel Frederiksted
- Cottages By The Sea St. Croix/Frederiksted, U.S. Virgin Islands