“A Dream Come True”

Cottages By The Sea
Ranked #1 of 4 Frederiksted B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 May 2013

My husband and I stayed at Cottages by the Sea for our 30th wedding anniversary. We had never taken a Caribbean vacation before. It was so spectacular, we have been back six times since then. Proprietor Paul Benedict treats you like family, and the staff - we know Reina and Carmen - are fabulous! These are truly cottages - not some huge impersonal resort - with a kitchen so you can manage your food budget, a restaurant next door if you do want to go out, and a sparkling Caribbean Sea truly steps from each cottage. If you are looking for peace and quiet and romance, Cottages by the Sea is magic!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GretaandKen

Reviewed 21 May 2013

Have been here several times, at Cottages." What more can you ask? Beautiful, uncrowded beach. Friendly management. Comfortable accommodations. Walk a few steps to ocean, or to restaurant. Great weather, barring occasional storms.Good taxi service if you don;t want to rent a car, and drive on left side.

I would certainly recommend it versus other end of island, whicjh is more crowded and more expensive.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I stayed at The Cottages for the first time on Memorial Day Weekend 2011 to visit a sick friend and since then I have returned twice a year.
If you are into kicking back and relaxing in front of beautifully decorated cottages, doing some snorkeling with your kids on very calming tropical beach, walking with your loved ones overlooking a beautiful sunset. Or if you are like me, I sit back and do some watercolors of the awesome views I see before me day after day. This is the place to be !
The property is own and operated by the Benedict family and they are kind and caring beyond what you would expect in a typical vacation spot, and the rest of the staff I have adopted as my Cruzans Moms.. 

Room Tip: The cottages are fit to whatever your needs are. From two to 5 families or more, built with cozy com...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Pintornoche
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I turned 50 this year and wanted to take a vacation unlike any I had taken before...specifically, an island one. I am an innkeeper and so I am very knowledgeable about how to surf the web...find a great place and book it. And so I did...Cottages by the Sea is an absolute gem. I knew exactly what I wanted...peace, quiet, a cottage RIGHT on the ocean, friendly not pretentious or phony staff...the only thing I could not control was the weather...but that turned out to be perfect as well! Cottages is on the West End...and as the locals say...its the BEST end. I travelled with my sister and a friend and the three of us just kept looking at each other and saying...WOW! I was profusely thanked by my travel companions for finding Cottages. My sister and friend were both well travelled islanders (this was my first time) and they kept marveling at the beach and how clean it was. Basically our day went like this...wake up, swim, lay down, read, swim, lay down, take a walk, swim, cocktails, shower, dinner! It was rough. The staff at Cottages made us feel right at home..Lindy, Carmen, Reena, Malik..and the owner Paul...and of course...the resident pup Banshee and a sweet cat whose name escapes me. If you are looking for a clean, well maintained, unpretentious...quiet island getaway for some real R&R ... Cottages is the place! We are already masterminding our next trip back. Thank you Paul, Lindy, Carmen...and everyone at Cottages for a memorable 50th!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Katewoodstock
Reviewed 8 May 2013

This is the best beach in St. Croix. Beautiful water, sand and sunsets. Cottages are clean and the proximity to the beach is amazing. We shopped at a grocery store and only ate out a couple of times during the week. Keep in mind that St.Croix is NOT upscale like St.John or St.Thomas, it is more laid back. Fredericksted in particular is a small little town with a beautiful historic fort and a few shops. Christiansted is a 45 min drive, and is more hopping with resorts and restaurants, as well as shopping. If you want that, go to Christiansted..if you want peace and relaxation in a laid back setting, with calm clear water and amazing views you cant beat cottages. We have been to probably 12 caribbean islands, and this beach is one of the very best. No crowds. So reasonable with rates, you can save a lot of money if you are willing to cook a few meals yourself. You will need a rental car, and there are several on the island to choose from. Cottages is a short drive from the airport and a 5 min drive from Fredericksted. We enjoyed getting coffee in Fredericksted every morning at Pollys on the pier, and Pollys also has a little upscale place to do some shopping (jewelry, home goods, gifts) The climate is perfect. Buck Island is the dont miss spot, and you can take charters from Christiansted. We stayed in Chart house which is the biggest cottage and the closest to the beach. this year we will stay at Crows nest since chart house is booked for the whole summer! The premium cottages are closer to the beach, but there are not bad locations anywhere on the property. Cruise ship patrons are not welcome on the beach, and with only 20 cottages it is never crowded. Housekeeping comes several times a week, but you can replace your beach towels daily. The air is very humid so keep that in mind as you try to use the air conditioners...wet air is very hard to cool so the air conditioners are not that effective. You dont need them that much unless you are staying in your cottage during the day. There are 2 kayaks and a bunch of toys, balls, sand tools that other patrons have left behind....as well as floaties and noodles. If you need more stuff, there is a Kmart 5 miles away.

Room Tip: Choose Caribe, Charthouse, compass rose or Crows nest to get the best proximity to the water.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sirenssong4
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We hadn't been to Cottages in more than five years. My sweetie loves them so much, a return visit was her 60th birthday wish. We were not disappointed. The Benedict family, especially Paul, is constantly improving the Cottages. They possess a quiet dignity which is a nice refuge from the hectic pace of life found on the other parts of St Croix. The Cottages are a few steps away from the Caribbean and possess a gateway to some excellent snorkelling and beach areas. Too, they are close to a good market and plenty of good restaurants. If you really want to stay in the Caribbean and not some type of pre-packaged wannabe, stay here. This is the real deal.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gillboy11
Reviewed 7 May 2013

To put it simply, Cottages by the Sea is wonderful! Upon our arrival we were warmly greeted by Paul, the manager, who was incredibly helpful and accommodating our entire stay. Our cottage was spacious, clean, and comfortable, with a fully-equipped kitchen and unparalleled proximity to the beach - literally a couple steps from the sand and ocean! The sunsets were breath-taking! The water was so calm and inviting it was impossible not to spend hours swimming, snorkeling, and kayaking each day. We also enjoyed borrowing the bikes to explore the nearby area and riding into Frederiksted (only about a mile away). We really can't say enough good things about Cottages. I'm not one to return to the same vacation destination twice, but I am already looking forward to visiting again in the future.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vega373
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frederiksted
Hotel on the Cay
Sand Castle on the Beach
Sand Castle on the Beach
#2 of 4 in Frederiksted
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Cottages By The Sea? Share your experiences!