“A wonderful place! Wonderful People!”

Cottages By The Sea
Ranked #1 of 3 Frederiksted B&B and Inns
Burlington, Vermont
“A wonderful place! Wonderful People!”
Reviewed 3 September 2014

We stayed back in June this year and upon arrival were greated by a very welcoming staff. The location of the property probably just can't be beat on the island (in my humbble opionion). It's right on the beach (one of the best ones...) and you can snorkle and swim right there (we saw a turtle within 3 minutes of snorkeling one morning right outside our door).
That said, let me paint a picture to better describe what one might expect to those of you who that are considering staying here....
The cottages are clean, kept up well but certainly nothing fancy. For many...this works out perfect. But for the fancy-smacies that are looking for pampering and luxury...well you're in the wrong place. The staff were very nice and eager to get you relaxed and settled in. The hotel has this very laid back/homey feeling that embraces the "island time" low key attitude that is needed to appreciate the ilsland.
I really liked it and it made a great home base for us for a week.

Room Tip: compass rose was right on the beach - we loved it!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank caribtraveler3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Deltona, Florida
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I would recommend The Cottages to anyone looking for a quaint and eclectic place to stay. I traveled there with a family that was from St Croix and they said that the particular beach that The cottages wad located on was the best beach on the island and I have to agree. It was absolutely gorgeous every day. The hotel offers snorkeling gear and the beach offers some beautiful reef to see. They also have a couple kayaks for use at no charge.

The staff was very nice and helpful with every thing I asked for. You want daily maid service, no problem. You don't want daily maid service, no problem.

We also liked the fact that all the rooms were very different from each other. That offers a range of accommodations and price for different sizes of families. The decorations were super cute. The rooms offered AC and cable TV as well. The Cottages it's not a star resort but it does not claim to be either. The in - room kitchens provide everything you need to cook all meals if that is what you want. We traveled with a large group so we had many large meals together.

If you want to see what the while island had to offer I do recommend renting a car to get around.

If you are going to some tours, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Buck Island snorkeling tour. Buck Island is an amazing treasure of nature. If you have young children with you, you should try to take then to the hermit crab races. They LOVE it! !

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Deltona_Beach_Bums
Ossining, New York
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This facility is a real jewel. The cottages are not fancy, but the location is amazing. The atmosphere is friendly and laid back. It has the best beach on the island with gentle waves, clear water, etc.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have kitchens, which help save food costs. All the rooms are nice.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed at Cottages for a week this summer. I chose it based on the Trip Advisor reviews. While we had a great time, the stay at Cottages was about average. When I read through the reviews now, it almost seems as if I stayed at a different place. The main thing that drew me to the Cottages were the rave reviews of the staff, the owner and the family like atmosphere. It brought to mind Norm from Cheers - "where everybody knows your name". However, what we encountered was a standard hotel, great location, and generally apathetic staff. We might stay here again but with tempered expectations.

Location - right on a beautiful beach frequented by locals. We enjoyed interacting with the local children and met several dogs on the beach which we loved. The water is beautiful and Cottages provides snorkel equipment which we used.

Room/ Cottage - Adorably decorated and has everything you need for a long stay, including the cute kitchen. Our issues with the room were related to noise and supplies. The rooms do not seem to be built to reduce noise - we were able to hear our neighbors and their infant regularly and loudly. We got to hear the morning wake up cry, the nap time cry and the bedtime cry. All rooms were booked so we were not able to change rooms. We also got to hear a nasty argument between two staff members outside our back window (which was closed, to no avail). One man was accusing another of stealing his laptop and much yelling and swearing occurred. No one was at the front desk to address the issue and honestly, we were a bit frightened.

Room/ Housekeeping - our housekeeper was great, very friendly and probably the staff member we spoke to most often. The issue was that as the week progressed, we got fewer and fewer towels. We stopped getting hand towels and wash cloths by the 4th day. We would come in to just the bath towels and maybe one beach towel.

Staff - by this I mean the front desk staff. This was my biggest disappointment with Cottages. Through all the prior reviews that I read, the one constant seemed to be how great the staff is - how friendly and helpful they all were. We did run into two staff members that were friendly and helpful. We were in a great mood, we were on vacation - I say this because I approached every staff member with a smile and a how are you? I did not get that in return. The two women who work the front desk were seemingly annoyed each time we approached them and at one or two points, rude. One woman never seemed to recognize us and asked us on two occasions if we were staying there before she helped us. I was pretty shocked as we had full interaction with her for several minutes, and the number of guests isn't so large that you would think you would be recognized. But within a day or so of meeting us, she looked at us as blankly as ever. Both women would answer my query of "how are you today", but not ask in return, staring at me until I got to the point. They never said "Good morning", "how are you", "how's your stay"? never any sort of greeting whatsoever. It was up to me to greet them and state my purpose. In fact, through about half a dozen interactions with these two women, neither ever smiled. It was very weird and quite different from the reviews.

And, we never did meet the owner. From other reviews, it seems it would have been lovely. Maybe he was out of town - just our luck. If we go back to St, Croix I am not sure if I would stay here again - they do seem to have the best beach in town and definitely have reasonable rates for the island. All said, we did have a wonderful trip. We really loved the people of the island and the activities that we did. However, Cottages by the Sea was just the place we stayed, not a factor that would bring us back.

Do the ATV tour with Gecko Tours - it was a blast!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank MonBelle2300
Proprietor_127A, Owner at Cottages By The Sea, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Thank you for your review. This is Paul, your owner and host. I am sorry that we did not meet. I was off island for the funeral of a dear friend of Cottages by the Sea when you arrived, and when I returned I was busy getting caught up on missed work. I usually do not go door to door to meet guests, because most guests prefer their privacy, but if anyone wants to meet me then just leave a message at the office for me to come to your Cottage to say hello and I will.

I apologize profusely for the altercation outside your back window. We were made aware of the argument, at that time, by another guest. The argument was between the man who fixed our computers and another client of his. We want to assure all potential guests that there was not a computer stolen and this computer technician was asked to leave the property permanently, so hopefully we will not have this problem again in the future.

You indicated in your review “that the rooms do not seem to be built to reduce noise and that you could hear a baby crying from the cottage next door”. We want to assure everyone we have been working diligently for years to reduce the noise in the rooms and we rarely get complaints. The windows in your Cottage are impact resistant, glass louvered, windows that seal at the seams, so it is reasonable for us to expect these windows to keep the bulk of the noise out of your cottage for the average person if they are closed tightly. If your windows were open, then there is little we can do to keep out potential noise from the outdoors. Also, the cottage that you stayed in has cement walls and a cement ceiling. We also made sure that the front doors and all the windows in each cottage are located far apart – just to reduce noise. The adjoining door between cottages really consists of 3 adjoining doors and a closet, and placed in the kitchen also to reduce noise. We really did our best to reduce the noise in your cottage and feel these efforts are more than reasonable and acceptable to the average person. If we had another cottage available, we would have been more than happy to move you and even upgrade you to waterfront for no additional charge. July is one of our busiest months of the year, however, because so many families are traveling, so unfortunately we had no other cottage available to move you to.

We also apologize that you did not care for the two ladies who work the day shift at our front desk. Both ladies work part time and are responsible, sophisticated, mature individuals and I am scratching my head over your comments. We have never had a complaint before about our office staff, but I have read your comments to them, they feel bad, and have both told me that they will try to smile more often and be more consistent in the future.

Thank you for all your other positive comments about the hotel and our location. I think Trip Advisor really benefits small hotels by helping guests to find unique accommodations that they feel comfortable booking. Please keep in mind that 5 Stars on Trip Advisor does not mean we are a 5 Star Hotel. It does mean that guests have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of their unique stay while at the same time considering the price they are paying and the location of the hotel.

I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for taking the time to post these reviews! We do read and appreciate all feedback from our guests!
Albany, New York
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

If you're like us and want the best beach possible--smallest waves, clearest water, best snorkeling, super easy access for kids--and you don't mind renting a car and driving for groceries (or anything, for that matter), then this is your place!!
We loved it from the first second we got there (though the town of Fredericksted took a few days to warm up to).
Best features for a family:
--got two connected rooms for a reasonable price
--they are willing to move beds/furniture around to accommodate families
--snorkeling/beach directly out your door
--big private patios
--numerical, 4-digit entry codes to your cottage (I can't stress enough how awesome that is with little kids!)
--kayaks to use whenever (we paddled down to Sandy Point)
--swam with a sea turtle up by the condos closer to Sandy Point!!
--horses swimming and training for the track in the morning right in front of the cottages
--bedding was high quality (ours was Tahari--super-soft quilts!)

My suggestions for those traveling here:
--if you only like gated communities and squeaky clean areas, this is not the place for you--Cottages is super clean but not Fredericksted (or the area between Cottages an the town)
--if you don't feel comfortable renting a car, this is not the place for you
--if driving 20-25 minutes to Christiansted sounds like too far, don't stay here
--the grocery stores are a little sketchy, so heads-up
--I would bring my own snorkel and mask--there weren't a ton left in the communal cabinet

Next time, all I would bring (in a carry-on) is a bathing suit, flip flops, sneakers (for awesome nearby excursions), coverup, snorkel, mask and lots of $$$ for the restaurants and groceries!!

Stayed July 2014
5 Thank SarahAndBray77
Reviewed 21 July 2014

If you're expecting this to be a 5 star hotel, you will be disappointed. But it is clean. The staff are extremely friendly. The price is great. One really nice touch was that when we were shown to the room, there was a bottle of Rum and a couple of cokes on the table waiting for us.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher W
L.A., Ca.
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We wanted to NOT be in a large touristy hotel and Cottages By The Sea was highly recommended by our friends living in Frederikstead. There are maybe a dozen little cottages sprinkled amongst a nicely landscaped garden most with a view of the Caribbean and each decorated with a different motif. Our cottage was Caravelle and we were delighted with the large spacey light filled accommodation. We had a partial ocean view, decently comfortable king size bed plus a twin, full kitchen, sofa and large bathroom with a huge walk in shower. The outside covered dining area and gas grill came in handy for entertaining. We spent our days strolling the beautiful beach and visiting with other guests staying at the cottages. It seems that many of the guests have been coming here for years and had so many nice things to say about the place. Cottages does have its quirks there can be the odd power failure but Paul the owner was quick to fire up the generator or to relocate us for the evening to another cottage with power. This is not a place for those looking for the amenities offered by a hotel it is a charming idyllic funky little spot for those who wish to have peace, the sea and simple yet comfortable accommodations !!!

Room Tip: We had a chance to view most of the cottages all of them have their own charm and are very nicely de...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank DTousche
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frederiksted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,358 reviews
Sand Castle on the Beach
Sand Castle on the Beach
#2 of 3 in Frederiksted

Been to Cottages By The Sea? Share your experiences!