“Absolutely wonderful stay at Cottages by the Sea”

Cottages By The Sea
Ranked #1 of 3 Frederiksted B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 December 2010

My husband, young son and I just loved our seven night stay at Cottages by the Sea. All of the glowing Trip Advisor reviews are deserved. Paul keeps a wonderful hotel, a dream-like place filled with clean, comfortable cottages all within steps of the beautiful beach. The guests are all within close proximity of one another on the property, but everyone seemed to be there with a similar agenda; all seemed to be seeking peace and quiet to swim and read in a gorgeous setting. The only sounds are the cheerful birds in the morning, frogs in the evening, and the constant waves which will lull you to sleep in whatever cottage you choose.

A car, which we had for three of our seven days, is an absolute must to see a sight or two and to stock up at the grocery store. Sandcastles and Carambola were wonderful places to have dinner. I would be more than happy to correspond with anyone considering this hotel and the logistics of staying there. There is no doubt we will return, possibly as soon as April. St. Croix is a wonderful island and we were spoiled by our time at Cottages.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank ADKWoman

Reviewed 27 November 2010

I cannot say enough wonderful and positive things about the Cottages By The Sea and it's staff! I was there with my (then) fiance and our son to get married. We stayed in the Crow's Nest and LOVED it! The views were unbelievable, just breathtaking! It felt so private and we felt so comfortable and safe. Our immediate families joined us there. They stayed in Chocolate, Coconut, Cocktail, and Cruzan. All of our rooms were just gorgeous, such attention to detail, design, comfort and convienence! They really thought to include everything in the rooms! Everything was so updated and clean. Donovan and Paul were the kindest people, we appriciated everything they did for us. They went above and beyond what I would normally expect from staff. The housekeeping Ladies and the Maintainence guys were all so sweet and pleasant. Not an attitude in sight, just smiles all around!
The beach was the most beautiful beach I have ever seen in my life. I'm not exaggerating. I have to say that there were rocks exposed while we were there due to some really crazy storms that Summer. At first I was dissapointed, but we all got used to them and then just loved them! It was no trouble walking over them in bare feet to get into the perfect water. Your feet were on soft sand once you were in. We had 3 small kids (Two 4 years olds and one 2 year old) and we were worried at first about them getting hurt. Never happened. They loved all the interesting things (snails and fish) that gathered on them and the pools that they created. It was just gorgeous to see all the amazing fish that lived in and around them underwater too! I have some of the most beautiful wedding pictures because of those rocks. Wouldn't have traded them for anything.
All in all, we will be back. We will most definitely be spending some of our Wedding Anniversaries there. It's a new home away from home for us. We and our families are still sighing when we look at our pictures, in awe at the experience. We wouldn't have had one of the most amazing times of our life without the Cottages By The Sea. We can't wait to come back!

2  Thank PierogiMum
Reviewed 27 November 2010

I arived my room had construction next door so they upgraded me at no charge. the room was cleaner then a 5 star hotel.this is the only place I would stay in fredriksted.all services were great.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank budman56
Reviewed 20 November 2010

We totally enjoyed our stay. The staff is so nice and accomdating. The beach is perfect. You can socialize with the other guests or not. It was truly like a home away from home!

2  Thank cathyfernandez
Reviewed 3 November 2010

We stayed in Sylvia's room - it was perfect for us! Beautiful and right on the sea! Paul was so welcoming and helpful. We are thinking of retiring in St. Croix and he certainly made us feel welcome there. The restaurant next door had great food too.

2  Thank sheep3mom
Reviewed 20 October 2010

My husband and I spent 5 days and nights at Cottages in early June. It was the first trip off of the mainland US for both of us and we had extremely high expectations for what we wanted to do and see while we were there. Our time there far surpassed anything we could have imagined!!

I became extremely ill with a very bad ear infection the night before we flew to the island. By the time we got there, I knew I was in for a very long and sick week. Scuba plans - out the window! Running around and seeing all the sights - out the window! I needed medical attention!!!

The staff at Cottages (God Bless them all!) helped me find medical help that didn't bankrupt us, and it did not matter one bit that we had to "scrap" most of our plans! I couldn't scuba, but we snorkeled, walked on the beach, and spent lots of time exploring Fredericksted and Christiansted! We met friends that we will have for a lifetime and enjoyed spending our evenings just sitting on the patio and visiting with the other guests. The only negative thing about the whole trip was having to leave!

The people of St. Croix, and the staff at Cottages in particular, are beyond belief! We did not "want for anything!" All we had to do was ask, and they brought it with a smile! They even thought of things we never would have considered like picnic baskets for packing a picnic on the beach. The locals always had a smile and a welcome! There was absolutely no attitude of "This is our island, and you're just a tourist!"

We are going back to spend the week before Christmas at Cottages and taking many of our family members with us so that they can share in the experience. In many ways, it will feel like returning home, and we can't wait to get back there! There just are not enough good things I can say about the experience we had there, ear infection and all! :)

Would we recommend it to others? Yes, yes, and absolutely yes! I've heard it called the "best kept secret in the Carribean," and I can certainly believe that! We are not even interested in trying out another place! Cottages it will be, any time we return to the island!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2010

We spent 7 nights in the Carnival cottage. It was great for two people. Clean room, maid service was sharp and on time. Staff was helpful and gracious, and all of our needs were met. The bed was great, we slept like babies. Fluffy towels, neat kitchenette and clean fridge. Our room was not yet updated, (and we were clearly informed of this) so our shower left a bit to be desired, but the water was hot, and the pressure was good. The location was perfect, the privacy was amazing, even with activites going on around us. Exploring the island was easy from this location, and access to the beach was mere steps away from our room. Our plan is to return and make Cottages by the Sea our place to stay. This is not the place if you are looking for constant partying and action. This is the place to mellow out and relax.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TeBassett
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frederiksted
Hotel on the Cay
#1 of 14 in Christiansted
Sand Castle on the Beach
Sand Castle on the Beach
#2 of 3 in Frederiksted

Been to Cottages By The Sea? Share your experiences!