“Quaint Building”

Ranked #13 of 263 Restaurants in St. Thomas
Price range: US$0 - US$18
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cafe, Jamaican
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Try authentic Creole Caribbean and Continental dishes at breakfast and lunch in a colonial warehouse in downtown Charlotte Amalie. Sample all three varieties of Gladys' world famous homemade Hot Sauce - it makes great gifts for your spicy-food-loving friends.
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Quaint Building”
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were recently the first customers of the day. Our server (Pauline?) was very friendly and soon had six tables of customers. As soon as we came in she said she would turn the a/c on, and the restaurant soon cooled off. The restaurant's architecture reminded me of New Orleans, and there was a variety of paintings and photographs on the walls.

They offered $3 Bloody Marys and screwdrivers. My breakfast consisted of two eggs, home fries, grits, toast, and orange juice. The juice was served in a large water glass. My husband had an omelette which also included home fries and toast. Our total for the two meals and a Bloody Mary came to $28.

I would like to give a higher rating, but the potatoes were cold on both of our plates. I think they plated the potatoes while the eggs were being cooked.

Visited July 2014

“Best authentic food on the island”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I loved this place! While we waited for our meal we were able to test the original sauces our favorite was the mustard habanero. I highly recommend this place to anyone who loves a little spice and flavor in their food.

Visited June 2014
San Diego, California
“Great little spot in St Thomas”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This is the only place I've ever eaten in ST. ST is just a place to catch the ferry on our way to the BVI's. A blur. This time though, we had time to stop someplace and eat which is far and away preferable to being stuck with the food at the airport. We asked one of the guys at the ferry for a place to go on the water (as if we hadn't had enough sun being on a catamaran for 7 days) and he suggested Gladys'. Ummmm, on the water? No. In a small alley that made me imagine pirates running around (yes, good, dramatic, imagination), that was really very quaint. I had no idea there was anything I'd like about ST, but again it's always been a quick stop, so color me ignorant. Once you navigate the twists and turns of the alleys (there is a direct route, but what fun is that?) and find the place you walk into nice cool a/c and a warm greeting. We were a party of five, and I know everyone enjoyed their food, but I can really only speak for my avocado stuffed with chicken salad and served on a bed of lettuce with a wonderful salad dressing. It was a special of the day and could have been done with tuna as well, but after eating fish for so long chicken sounded great. And it was. The avo's down there are huge, so this is no diet portion. I have to say that I would have liked it even better if the chicken salad had some curry in it, but it was darned good anyway. I heard raves over the mahi mahi sandwich and the curry chicken as well. I also had a Princess Lemonade which was good and not too sweet, especially with some extra lemon squeezed into it. They do love the sweet drinks down there and the lemonade was a good antidote.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank mnnbrown
Wilmington, North Carolina
“great restaurant”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Authentic, local food, good atmosphere, and fabulous rum punch! Try not to go when a cruise ship is in town though, as it's a bit crowded.

Visited May 2014
“Ultimate Caribbean Cuisine!!”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Stopped at Gladys' Cafe for lunch after my hubby read some good reviews! It was awesome and we wished that we found it earlier on our trip so that we could have gone back at least one more time! A definite MUST!! We had the goat (tasted like an amazing and tender beef), the jerk chicken wings and the grouper!! Great food, great service and a great end to our trip! Pauline, our waitress was such a sweetheart!! We can't wait to go back!

• Visited June 2014