Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Haven't stayed there yet but already having problems”

The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I am travelling to St.Thomas and will be staying at the Ritz this month. My issue so far with the hotel is the Concierge. We are going down for a girls trip. We have reserved the Ritz Carlton Penthouse as well as an ocean front adjoining room. We were extremely excited about the trip until I contacted the concierge asking for help renting some jeeps while on the island as well as help with airport transportation. It's not as if I was asking them to fly special flowers in from the island of Hawaii or asking for a rare bottle of pinot noir to be waiting for us. I mean, after all, I'm paying for the penthouse and another room...you think I would get a bit more service. All I was asking for was help with renting a car and airport transportation. Nothing else. This has been going on for days. Still don't have jeeps. Finally got the airport transportation but only after we did the leg work. Spoke to someone in the concierge and she informed me that they could only give me suggestions but could not help with reservations....HUH?!?! You're the concierge. I've gotten broadway tickets, dinner reservations, a picnic packed, etc, etc. from other hotels before but I cannot get them to help with basic request?? I was told by the one concierge lady that she would have her supervisor call me today. In fact, she promised. Guess what. End of the day and haven't heard a word. At this point we have come up with other transportation alternatives after spending two hours on the phone calling around ourselves. Can't believe I'm paying all of this money for service like this. We are still going and plan to have an enjoyable time in spite of this. After all, the airline tickets are non refundable and my one girlfriend comes back every year (stays at the Westin). I feel bad because I'm the one that insisted that the Ritz would be the best....keeping my fingers crossed...I will write and let everyone know how it goes.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
15  Thank trina c
STTRZGM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Trina C,

We are very excited that you and your friends have chosen our beautiful destination for your trip and I am glad to hear that my team have already reached out to you to provide you with the expected level of service and that everything is now in order for your pending getaway.

Transportation from the airport has been known to be confusing as there are local laws that control transfers via taxis and other commercial operations and we are sorry that this translated into the miscommunication in booking a rental car with our staff.

Whilst you will find everything you could need at our resort, including two white sand beaches over-looking crystal clear turquoise waters, plenty of water sport activities and equipment, multiple swimming pools, a tranquil and relaxing full service spa, a state-of-the-art fitness center and four dining venues, the location of our island paradise is also near to other destinations. St. John is a short ferry ride away, or you can charter a luxury yacht experience, where you will find some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. If you have your Passport, the British Virgin Islands are conveniently near for day excursions. You can enjoy the islands from Jost Van Dyke to Virgin Gorda.

We are looking forward to welcoming you and your friends and hosting your getaway.

Kind Regards,

Bernd Kuhlen

There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We had a good time with lots to do on what felt like private beaches of St. Thomas (which are actually public). We enjoyed the restaurant selection, space, and amenities in very nice rooms with excellent daily maid service. My only complaint would be that the costs for food and drink are standard Ritz expensive and my sheets and pillowcases smelled bad, even after being freshly laundered. I don't think I'm being overly sensitive, management needs to QC the laundering process in the residences...

2  Thank WoodGlobal
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The Ritz is a gorgeous property and my husband and I agree about that! When we were checking in I just glanced out the window and tears came to my eyes. We had a non-stop flight from philly to paradise! Couldn't believe I was there in only 4 hours. We were celebrating our 10th anniversary. This was one of the most relaxing vacations we have ever had and I believe the sleepy dreamy setting of the Ritz was the reason. We had a few day trips here and there (we honeymooned in St John so we had to go back), but mostly we just enjoyed hanging out by the pool, enjoying some of the water sports (paddle board was awesome), scuba through the shop on site (awesome), and walking around. Truly a vacation from the business of our normal lives.
My husband and I don't agree about some things, though, so this is a bit of a 'tale of two trips.' He prefers *not* to have full-service, where we have to call the valet to get our rental car brought around and then make the walk back to the lobby. They would have picked us up in a golf cart but he didn't want to wait for that kind of service either. If you have bad knees/hips there are a lot of stairs and inclines around the property, so be prepared for that.
He also didn't like paying a lot for lunch service at the pool bar. He doesn't mind paying a lot for the fancy dinners at the two restaurants there, and we had a beautiful meal & experience at each, but lunch is just lunch (and we paid $80 for two sandwiches and two alcoholic drinks.) We preferred heading to Red Hook and trying the various bars and restaurants there. It was only 5 mins away, and we had a fabulous time checking them all out and trying all the different drinks and food.
We also had an issue with the hot water not being hot. I can't take a bath at home so I LOVE taking a bath on vacay, otherwise we wouldn't have complained about it. It did take three tries for them to get it hot enough, but the problem WAS fixed so I don't complain, just my husband does, again, since he is paying for full service.
The last thing we disagree on was the 'ocean view.' We could actually see more of the mangrove tree reserve area that is in the center of the property because we were on the first floor. We are not the type to complain to get a higher up room, but I kinda wish we had. Yes, I could see the ocean from my terrace, so again, I thought it was just beautiful and would not complain.
OH one more thing! The nespresso in the room was such an amazing touch! Really helped us enjoy lazy mornings.

Room Tip: We stayed in Dahlia, and on the first floor could see more trees than ocean. Ask for a higher floor.
5  Thank hawaiianwannabe
Reviewed 11 June 2014

As you can see from some of my other reviews, I'm typically not a five star kind of girl. Or maybe I wasn't until this trip. We decided to splurge for our 10th anniversary and chose St. Thomas because of the times of the direct flights available from NYC. As we were only going for four nights, there was no way we were going to transfer. The Ritz is around a 40 minute drive from the airport. There are plenty of taxis available there, and you can split the $90 cost with others. A couple overhead us say were were headed to the Ritz and proposed that we share. Upon arrival we were greeted with an incredible view from reception and a refreshing rum punch presented by Johnny, who then whisked us to our room in a golf cart. I was thrilled to find a Nespresso machine and another fantastic view from the balcony. The staff had also thoughtfully provided a chocolate cake for our anniversary and my husband's birthday as well as champagne!

As we had already been to St. John on a prior trip, and because our stay was so short, we remained at the resort during the day, other than a failed excursion to Charlotte Amalie to purchase a watch. Given my negative experiences with cruisers in European cities we decided to pop in to shop on a day when a ship wasn't in the port, but ALL of the stores were closed. We enjoyed walking around, and climbed up to see the fort, castle, and second oldest synagogue in the west.
`
The two beaches, one for the hotel side and one for the time share side, are small and there were ample loungers, each with its own canopy. The water is a bit rocky at the bottom and there are reefs. We sure to be aware of this if you take advantage of the water sports which are included in the resort fee. I was anxious about toppling off the stand up paddle board and destroying a protected marine environment. I only wish the beach were long enough for a stroll. We didn't spend much time at the pool, though we did try the hot tub, which was disappointingly only lukewarm.

In terms of the food, breakfast was our favorite meal. The buffet was impressive, and we couldn't get enough of the french toast! Lunch at Sails was also good, and I was pleased with the vegetarian and healthy options. The quinoa burger was tasty and filling. I'm not much of a daytime drinker as it just makes me lethargic in the sun, but I couldn't resist some of the drinks of the day. The key lime one was particularly good. I wish there were more options for dinner. We decided to venture next door to the Carribbean Fish Market, which is located just next door in the Elysium Beach Resort. There is a casual place and a slightly more formal one. We enjoyed both. We also ventured to Red Hook one night, but it wasn't particularly worth it.

To summarize, the Ritz was upscale without being stuffy and had a lovely island feel. Going during the shoulder season was especially worth it as we had the "Comfort You" package which included breakfast and a $100 resort credit each day.

2  Thank nycyogini
Reviewed 9 June 2014

To start off on a positive note, this property is in a great location and the grounds are beautiful. However, when we arrived we found that our bed sheets were filthy of the sorts I'll choose not to describe. While we understand that "things happen", the management didn't even apologize. Unfortunately, this clouded our vacation experience in the hotel. Luckily, we were able to enjoy the overall property / location. We gave the management a few weeks to respond and, to date, nothing has been done. Hence, we reluctantly felt it was appropriate to write this review.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank JBC1977
STTRZGM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear JBC1977,

We always welcome our guest’s comments and reviews and learn many things from the feedback provided. We are pleased you found the property location and grounds beautiful and hope you found the service by our Ladies and Gentlemen to be welcoming, genuine and caring. We are sorry that your received no response from anyone so far and we are continuing research to identify whom was made aware of this issue and determine how these linens made their way into a guest room and how our inspection process missed this issue. We strive to ensure all of our guests’ experiences are exceptional and we understand that we did not deliver on this goal with you. Should you wish to discuss this with me further, please reach out to me at rc.sttrz.gm@ritzcarlton.com

We hope you will return to our resort again in the future.

Kind Regards,
Bernd Kuhlen

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Please bring my fiancée and I were looking for a quick getaway and decided to go to St. Thomas and get married. I cannot write a review on the weather, for it is no one's fault that it rained our entire trip, however, we were very pleased with our choice of accommodation.
When you think of a Ritz-Carlton establishment, you may expect top notch design/architecture with state-of-the-art facilities and whatnot. If you are expecting that at this location, be prepared that it is not the case here. I personally preferred to feel like I am on a tropical island. And while it is apparent that the Ritz Carlton took over this already established property, I do not find it a disappointment whatsoever. It has that very nice island feel to it. Very clean and well kept. The bathrooms are very spacious and modernly designed.
We have tried dining in other restaurants off the property, but the food at the Ritz Carlton restaurants was still the best , even though it could be a bit pricey.
The beach was nice, I have seen better, on other islands that is. But be advised, you are on the bay, not the ocean. There is a lot of seagrass, which is pretty much unavoidable. If you decide to explore, wear water shoes. There are sea urchins! My husband found out the hard way.
I would definitely stay here again if I choose to return to St. Thomas. Hopefully with better weather of course.

1  Thank Danyca
Reviewed 8 June 2014

What a great resort. We had five rooms and three generations together for a week. Except for a one-day expedition to Trunk Bay at St. John, we stayed put. I polled our group for any negatives. One daughter was concerned that the hotel didn't recycle. Turns out there is no recycling on St. Thomas so separating the plastic, etc., would be eyewash. There were many dining choices, all offering wonderful views. The cold buffet at breakfast was so good, I never got to the hot buffet. For lunch, we opted to dine on the beach at our deck chairs. Two members of the group have food allergies and after the first day or two, the staff needed no complicated instructions to bring the salad or sandwich minus the allergy producing items. At dinner, the chef(s) came to the table to explain the various dishes that were soy and dairy free and went on to explain how he could adjust other menu items if that was desired. Talk about leaning over backwards. The resort fee covered a long list of water activities including Hobie Cats, wind surfers, paddle boards, snorkels and fins (which could be taken over to St John), kayaks, aqua socks, and more. For those wanting more adventure, there were modestly priced ($95 for Scuba) diving trips by boat to reefs. Our rooms were excellent but the best part was the staff. Everyone from front desk to servers to maids to maintenance staff to waterfront staff smiled and leaned over backwards to be helpful. Coupled with the balmy temperatures, white beach, turquoise water, and pleasant trade winds, our group had ear to ear smiles. A really wonderful experience for all eight of us.

Room Tip: All of our rooms had balconies and great water views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in South Coast
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas? Share your experiences!