This resort is almost completely amazing. I say almost because there was a major let down. But first the good.
The staff at this resort are outstanding!!!! The level of service and hospitality given to each guest was incredible. This is the first time at a Ritz and we were impressed. We were welcomed by a friendly front desk and gorgeous views. We then had the pleasure of meeting our Bellman, Johnny. Talk about service!!!! The service he provided to us alone would make us return to the Ritz. From starting us off with delicious rum punches, picking us up and dropping us off at our room whenever we needed and to being so thoughtful for making my wife's birthday even more special, Johnny gets a thumbs up. I hope the Ritz realizes what a great employee they have. I also had the pleasure of getting to know a member of the Housekeeping staff named Valentine (Vali). She let me know about a lot of great things that the island of St. Thomas has to offer especially the local cuisine. Our talk centered around food and how we both took pleasure in cooking and taking care of our families. This woman went above and beyond in giving me a opportunity to experience St. Thomas on a local level and for that I am grateful. Again, I hope the Ritz realizes what a great employee they have. Every employee made a point to always say hello and help in anyway they could. That is service true and true.
The resort itself is AMAZING!!! Beautiful views no matter where you were. We stayed on the 2nd floor and woke up everyday overlooking Great Bay and the scenic islands beyond. The beaches were great. The 3 pools available were all fantastic especially the infinity pool looking out over the Bay. We had our 7 y/o daughter with us and she loved it. Lots of kids to play with but not an overwhelming amount. NOT DISNEY!! Always got a seat at the pool or on the beach. Amenities on the beach available to guests were a blast. Paddle boating, kayaking, snorkeling, sailing, etc. Also feeding the local iguanas if your adventurous was a nice touch. A few suggestions. Better pillows. Plain and simple, yours suck. Directions on how to operate the coffee maker and thermostat in the room. Still not sure which buttons to push to make the coffee and which to get the temp to stay where I wanted it. Finally, signage to direct guests to the ice machines. They are in a room behind an unmarked door that looks like every other door in the hotel.
And now for what makes this an almost amazing resort...the bad. I'm sorry, but for a Ritz property your FOOD IS TERRIBLE!!!! Not only is it terrible but it is so far over priced that it is not even worth eating on property. This is evident in the half full restaurants. Half full is being generous. If you'd like to subsist on chicken wings, pizza and chips and salsa you'll make it. But anything else is not worth the time. We ate at all 4 restaurants at the resort. Out of the 4, nothing was rated above an average mark. Bland food, overcooked, old (sitting under a heat lamp forever) this food is subpar for the Ritz. You'd expect better but you will not find it here. I understand that there is a mark up for island food and the Ritz name but the pricing is borderline gouging. $15 for a PB&J. $31 for 2 rum drinks. $26 for a salad with chicken. Ridiculous. I would gladly pay a higher price if the food was at least of a decent quality. But I have gotten better quality food at the local hot dog stand than here. The Ritz' mistake is not taking advantage of what the island has to offer in food. If they incorporated the local cuisine on a larger scale and utilized the resources available to the Ritz through their corporation maybe people would stay on property more often to eat. But for now your restaurants will always prevent you from getting a solid 5 stars. Many of the guests we spoke with had the same complaints. Bad food. Overpriced. And extremely slow service in the restaurants. This is another area that needs improving. "Island time" should not exist at a resort that caters to people from the mainland. Being laid back is one thing. But the slow motion that the restaurant staff moves in is completely ridiculous. 45 minutes to get a PB&J and an order of conch fritters. 20 minutes for drink. The best service was the buffet for breakfast. We served ourselves. With all the great chefs in the world and the way food has taken on a rock star, pop culture status, you would think the Ritz would make a concentrated effort in this department. Instead they fail miserably. And by this they fail their guests. I'm sorry for being so harsh on the food, but we all need to eat. And at the Ritz, who's attention to customer service goes above and beyond, the food quality sadly has a "just good enough" attitude.
All in all with the exception of the food this is a great property and we will be back with our family. Hopefully the Ritz will be able to read and make changes to their menu so this will be a true 5 start resort. If not there's always a local mini mart on the island that has frozen dinners.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled within a 30-acre beachfront estate, The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas blends classic European elegance with warm Caribbean hospitality. The resort overlooks sparkling turquoise waters and white sand beaches on the eastern tip of St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands, along Great Bay and with views of St. John. 180 Guestrooms each have private balconies, Caribbean-inspired decor and views of the Caribbean Sea and tropical surroundings. Other features of our beach resort in St. Thomas include a full service spa and salon, 24-hour fitness center, a Club Level with private concierge and complimentary food and beverage presentations, infinity pool, a beach and aquatic center with ample complimentary water sports, and four restaurants for gourmet dining and personalized service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Prestigia, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ritz-Carlton St. Thomas Hotel St. Thomas
- St. Thomas Ritz-Carlton
- The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas U.S. Virgin Islands