Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Service is the difference!”

The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I just returned from staying at the Ritz-Carlton in St. Thomas for our 28th anniversary. I cannot begin to put into words what an amazing experience we had while vacationing there!

Initially, I was somewhat reluctant to have my husband book at the hotel, based on a few reviews that I read online; however, in my opinion, whoever wrote the negative reviews must have been staying somewhere else! First of all, the property is beautiful - gorgeous beach, property and pools. And our room was perfect in situation and amenities and we could not have been happier.

What really sets the St. Thomas Ritz-Carlton apart, though, is the service. From start to finish, check-in to check-out, we were treated like we were special and the only guests there. Almost every person that we came in contact with seemed genuinely interested in our experience. Quite often, we were asked, "How was your day?" and they really wanted to know.

There were so many people we encountered during our stay there who were gracious and bent over backwards to make our stay as perfect as it was (such as Johnny, who took us to our room, Viola in the pool area/restaurant, Wilson, Christina, Taylor, Irene, Andrew, Liam, etc.). I would especially like to commend Audrey, the Recreation Director, who went above and beyond in her service, personally taking care of reservations for us and ensuring our comfort and enjoyment while at the property. Make sure and stop by to see her in the Ambassadors of the Environment program or at the pool.

We will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: Higher floors definitely have a better view
2  Thank Savvy4061
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is our second time staying at The Ritz in St. Thomas, and again it was fantastic!! We brought along additional family members who also loved the hotel. Pool, Beach and Location were beautiful. The service was fantastic and we found the hotel to be super clean. The coffee machine & bottle waters in the room were a nice touch.
We did venture out to eat and loved the following restaurants:
Fish Tails-amazing carribbean lobster.
Havana Blue-great view
Carribbean Fish Market-next door to hotel
and Pesce to all be great places to eat.
The food at The Ritz was good, but expensive.
It is the best hotel to stay at on the island.

1  Thank laurie s
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The property is stunning. From the gorgeous architecture to the beach a short walk away from your room, you can't beat the visual stimulation. In our room we had a fully stocked nespresso machine, which made getting up in the morning that much sweeter. The shower was a beautiful walk-in and the balcony looked onto the property/ocean. The concierges and valet people were stellar. So, here is where I had my issue. When we arrived to the property, our bathtub had a few pieces of long hair on the faucet and knobs, as well as dust. I reported it that afternoon yet they didn't clean it after the turn down service that evening. The next day I was for sure they would get it during the full cleaning. They didn't. I reported it day 2. This time, saying, I had already reported it. They offered us breakfast but still NOBODY cleaned the bathtub. I kid you not, I reported it the 3rd day, to a third front desk person. Still, dirty bathtub. At this point, I was embarrassed to bring it up again and to push the subject. So our bathtub was never wiped down even after bringing it up 3 plus times and for 5 days. Had I paid Marriott Courtyard prices, I would have been fine. However, paying what I paid, it was really disappointing. They also didn't restock the nespresso fully each day unless I specifically asked. I hope they get their act together because the site is really beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room. Also, the buildings are in alphabetical order. The closer you are to A...
8  Thank Jamie J
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This resort is almost completely amazing. I say almost because there was a major let down. But first the good.

The staff at this resort are outstanding!!!! The level of service and hospitality given to each guest was incredible. This is the first time at a Ritz and we were impressed. We were welcomed by a friendly front desk and gorgeous views. We then had the pleasure of meeting our Bellman, Johnny. Talk about service!!!! The service he provided to us alone would make us return to the Ritz. From starting us off with delicious rum punches, picking us up and dropping us off at our room whenever we needed and to being so thoughtful for making my wife's birthday even more special, Johnny gets a thumbs up. I hope the Ritz realizes what a great employee they have. I also had the pleasure of getting to know a member of the Housekeeping staff named Valentine (Vali). She let me know about a lot of great things that the island of St. Thomas has to offer especially the local cuisine. Our talk centered around food and how we both took pleasure in cooking and taking care of our families. This woman went above and beyond in giving me a opportunity to experience St. Thomas on a local level and for that I am grateful. Again, I hope the Ritz realizes what a great employee they have. Every employee made a point to always say hello and help in anyway they could. That is service true and true.

The resort itself is AMAZING!!! Beautiful views no matter where you were. We stayed on the 2nd floor and woke up everyday overlooking Great Bay and the scenic islands beyond. The beaches were great. The 3 pools available were all fantastic especially the infinity pool looking out over the Bay. We had our 7 y/o daughter with us and she loved it. Lots of kids to play with but not an overwhelming amount. NOT DISNEY!! Always got a seat at the pool or on the beach. Amenities on the beach available to guests were a blast. Paddle boating, kayaking, snorkeling, sailing, etc. Also feeding the local iguanas if your adventurous was a nice touch. A few suggestions. Better pillows. Plain and simple, yours suck. Directions on how to operate the coffee maker and thermostat in the room. Still not sure which buttons to push to make the coffee and which to get the temp to stay where I wanted it. Finally, signage to direct guests to the ice machines. They are in a room behind an unmarked door that looks like every other door in the hotel.

And now for what makes this an almost amazing resort...the bad. I'm sorry, but for a Ritz property your FOOD IS TERRIBLE!!!! Not only is it terrible but it is so far over priced that it is not even worth eating on property. This is evident in the half full restaurants. Half full is being generous. If you'd like to subsist on chicken wings, pizza and chips and salsa you'll make it. But anything else is not worth the time. We ate at all 4 restaurants at the resort. Out of the 4, nothing was rated above an average mark. Bland food, overcooked, old (sitting under a heat lamp forever) this food is subpar for the Ritz. You'd expect better but you will not find it here. I understand that there is a mark up for island food and the Ritz name but the pricing is borderline gouging. $15 for a PB&J. $31 for 2 rum drinks. $26 for a salad with chicken. Ridiculous. I would gladly pay a higher price if the food was at least of a decent quality. But I have gotten better quality food at the local hot dog stand than here. The Ritz' mistake is not taking advantage of what the island has to offer in food. If they incorporated the local cuisine on a larger scale and utilized the resources available to the Ritz through their corporation maybe people would stay on property more often to eat. But for now your restaurants will always prevent you from getting a solid 5 stars. Many of the guests we spoke with had the same complaints. Bad food. Overpriced. And extremely slow service in the restaurants. This is another area that needs improving. "Island time" should not exist at a resort that caters to people from the mainland. Being laid back is one thing. But the slow motion that the restaurant staff moves in is completely ridiculous. 45 minutes to get a PB&J and an order of conch fritters. 20 minutes for drink. The best service was the buffet for breakfast. We served ourselves. With all the great chefs in the world and the way food has taken on a rock star, pop culture status, you would think the Ritz would make a concentrated effort in this department. Instead they fail miserably. And by this they fail their guests. I'm sorry for being so harsh on the food, but we all need to eat. And at the Ritz, who's attention to customer service goes above and beyond, the food quality sadly has a "just good enough" attitude.

All in all with the exception of the food this is a great property and we will be back with our family. Hopefully the Ritz will be able to read and make changes to their menu so this will be a true 5 start resort. If not there's always a local mini mart on the island that has frozen dinners.

Room Tip: Definitely go higher. Better views. The floors are all tile so you will hear the person above you if...
6  Thank Jim B
STTRZGM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear JimB,

I appreciate when our guests take the time to write about our Ladies and Gentlemen and I will certainly recognize Johnny and Valentine for the exemplary service they provided you. These individuals are definitely super stars! It is truly a testament to our hotel and brand that you found all of my team to be helpful and friendly. Our Island and resort are beautiful but it is our Ladies and Gentlemen who make the difference. I am pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed the resort and will return!

I am sorry that your culinary experiences where not up to your expectations and your feedback is very valuable to us. You will be pleased to know that we have revamped our menus and concepts to better accommodate our guests preferences.

I will look forward to seeing you again at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas!

Kind Regards,
Bernd Kuhlen

Reviewed 21 June 2014

This was our first time at the property in St. Thomas. It is not a stretch to say amazing. The staff begin at the initial greeting when you pull up and the helpfulness does not stop. The open air lobby and registration offers you an amazing ocean view as you check in.

The rooms were amazing... and the bed puts the Westin Heavenly Bed to shame.

Overall, worth every penny of our stay.

3  Thank RussellGentry
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We needed a relaxing vacation. We booked this family trip with our 4 year old and 8 month old daughters. From the first day, everything we expected and more happened. From the time we checked in until the time we checked out, the service, staff, amenities and activities were absolutely amazing. The staff and guest were super nice and friendly. To name a few people, Scott, the life guard, a young man with super hero energy was amazing especially when he pulled me and my 4 year old daughter out of the water after our Hobbie tipped over. Alexander, the towel boy, was professional, kind, and respectful in everyday. He set us up with beach chairs and towels every morning. Jeff, in the aquatic center, spent time teaching me how to sail and surf. Wilson, brought us amazing drinks to the beach. The list goes on and on. The waitresses at the Bleuwater restaurant were very friendly. They were super nice with our 4 year old daughter and constantly checked in on us to make sure everything was good. The checkin/checkout staff was also great. Housekeeping was wonderful. We asked for a crib for our 8 month old daughter, they brought us the crib with a baby package that included electric outlet covers, shampoo, etc. They also provided us with a refrigerator and microwave so that we can heat food for the baby and keep other foods that required refrigeration. Room service was very quick and the food was always hot and fresh. Overall, we had an amazing, relaxing, dream vacation at the Ritz. Thank you everyone at the Ritz in St. Thomas that made this vacation so wonderful.

Room Tip: If you want to be pampered and treated well, this is the place. Once you experience the Ritz, you w...
2  Thank Wsayejmd
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I just want to let know everyone who read my review, that the Ritz-Carlton hotel at St. Thomas has the best guest service, great and luxury rooms, as well as very pretty hotel áreas, and superb chefs.
My experience has been one of the bests, and I would come back everytime I could.

• Stayed: June 2014
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas? Share your experiences!