“As advertised - Great Stay”

The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
San Francisco, California
“As advertised - Great Stay”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I'll start off by saying, your booking a trip to the Caribbean. It is an island. Surrounded by water. Everything is flown in, and of course that adds cost. If your wallet is your primary concern, I'd suggest you go to Florida so your able to reconcile your cost/value ratio better. I feel sorry for people who go on vacation, and complain that a coke cost $5.00.

Arrival Charlotte Amalie
Grab your luggage, and chill while waiting in the taxi queue line. This isn't San Francisco or Chicago, with well organized and seamless taxi lines. You'll likely be with nine other people, with the cost of $15 per person to get to the Ritz. Want to get there fast, take the private taxi, which is $90.

Departure Charlotte Amalie
Arrive 3 hours before the flight leaves. Don't argue, don't complain, don't stress out, just do it. This is the caribbean, and this won't be smooth. I laughed at all the fools at the American Airlines counter who missed their flights because they tried the 1 hour before departure show up. You won't check your bags until you have passed through customs. So if your tired and stressed, maybe you should have left all that luggage at home, and realized this is the caribbean.

Ritz Carlton
Arrival is smooth. Check in at the front desk, get your tasty drink, see where your room is, and get driven over by golf cart. Couldn't be any easier. I had the executive suite. The room was huge, my bed absolutely comfortable, ceiling fans in main room and the living room where the kids slept. Two toilets, a great bathtub, and a beautiful shower. Floors are marble, and you can't hear anything from your neighbors rooms. Paper thin walls like others reported? I'm skeptical. The turn down service people were kind and did their jobs well. Room service was fast, and the food well done. If your coming to the Ritz for nightlife, or think this is party central, your going to be sad. This is intended for people who enjoy relaxing. If the idea of enjoying the beach/pool for 8 hours per day makes you nuts, do not come here. My kids and I brought two books each, and we read both of them, interspersed with sailing and paddleboarding. The restaurants are fine, the food is fresh and didn't make any of us sick. I'm on vacation, I don't care what the cost is, and I understand the Ritz has to make a profit and that this is an island in the caribbean.

Side Trips
We ate at Senor Frogs in Red Hook. Again, if your looking for fancy, or consider yourself a foodie, stay away from the caribbean. The locals have their own styles, food choices, and flair for how life should be lived. Senor Frogs had a great chicken fajita plate, fun location, and typical of the restaurants which do well in the climate of the caribbean. I've seen people complain about the local people and that they were scared. Are you kidding me? Do you know anything about the islands. After eating at Senor Frogs, we got our ferry tickets for St Johns, and trunk bay. Very nice ferry for a reasonable fare.

Peoples Views on Luxury
I'll stop you here. Don't come to the islands if your expecting to be waited on hand and foot like a prince. There isn't anything about coming to St Thomas, or Jamaica, or the Dominican Republic which will be sanitized enough for you to consider your trip luxury. I'd suggest listening to some Jimmy Buffet to get the true essence of the islands. Relax, have a margarita, smoke a bowl and let the caribbean magic come to you. The Ritz allows you to do the caribbean in a nice and comfortable setting, and is a great resort. I'll never forget smoking my cigars on the balcony each sunset, and enjoying the laid back vibe of this great resort.

Room Tip: Ask for the quietest room possible. Ritz gave me exactly what I asked for. The executive suite is...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Ken S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Atlanta
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed at the Ritz Carlton in St Thomas a year ago and went back last week. It was always very nice but recent improvements have made it exceptional. Rooms have been updated since my last stay and are refreshingly modern. I love that they include a Nespresso machine with complimentary supplies in the room. The bathroom is crazy large and the shower and water closet are each behind frosted glass walls - a nice touch. There are tons of towels in the room and water pressure was perfect. Bedding is superb. The mattress is ultra plush and linens are the usual high quality Ritz type.

My balcony was 15' x 10' - among the largest I have ever seen. One quibble: the room was called ocean view but unfortunately, the only way to see the water from my first floor room was to stand at the end of the balcony and look to the side. Due to the trees blocking the water view, perhaps this should be called "restricted ocean view".

The spa was especially nice. Exercise equipment was top of the line and in perfect condition. Everything was complimentary and although the resort fee is very high, at least we felt like we were getting good value.

A special thank you to the exceptional staff. Ritz Carlton staff are always friendly, but the staff at this resort went above and beyond. It was impossible to pass an employee without them asking how we were enjoying our stay. Every request was met with a smile, was expertly handled and we were always made to feel like VIPs. A special mention to Nancy who served us breakfast in Bleuwater. As we walked in the first morning, she came running over to welcome us back. She remembered every detail about us and wanted to get updated on the family. Although it had been a year, she made us feel like honored regulars. She made us promise to come back sooner and considering her warm service, we might just have to take her up on the offer!

Room Tip: The A building is closest to the lobby. Each letter after A is a building further away. Try to be...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Reldim
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is our 4th trip to St. Thomas and we LOVE the Ritz. We rent boats/snorkel gear form the beach shack and while away the day checking out fish and sea turtles in the bay in front of the hotel, lounge on the beach or by the gorgeous pools, and then have dinner at one of the fabulous restaurants. Seriously, one of the best hotels with activities for all ages. The only down side is that you're really removed from Charlotte Amelie, and if you want to go "off campus" it's not a cheap cab ride. BUT, you're close to the ferry to St. John and you can hop on over there for a day trip! Rooms are clean and updated, service staff is SO NICE! We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: they're all ocean view, so you really can't go wrong!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Kate M
Bronx, NY
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I just arrived home this past Sunday from staying at the Ritz. From the moment I walked in, I knew I was to have an unforgettable stay! The hotel staff was so friendly and treated us as if we were royalty! I stayed in the club level and the hotel always had a generous amount of food throughout day and a lot of different alcohol choices to make your own drinks at your disposal! For the prices at the ritz, the club level is the best bang for your buck in my opinion. My turndown attendant would also leave us notes to say that she hoped we are enjoying our stay which really made us feel appreciated by the staff! She also found out we loved dark chocolate and left us each a handful of only dark chocolate as opposed to just one dark and one milk chocolate. Time permitting- take a sunset sail aboard the lady Lyndsey, beautiful! The only negative I had about this hotel was the beach that was a bit short and narrow for my personal taste. In all I would 100% return to this beautiful hotel! I strongly recommend staying here.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Bella6990
Fallston, Maryland
Reviewed 22 July 2014

After 16 years, my husband and I finally decided to take a honeymoon. Given that we STILL don't have passports, we decided to travel to St. Thomas. Before we traveled, I called the hotel to find out about transportation to the hotel from the airport. The woman I spoke with asked if we were traveling for a special occasion, and I told her we had never taken a honeymoon. When we arrived to the hotel, we were greeted by a wonderful staff who gave us drinks on a silver platter and drove us to our room. We decided to walk the beach and have dinner and then head up for the evening. When we got back to our room, there was a bottle of champagne with assorted chocolates with a note that said "Happy First Honeymoon." I was absolutely floored. The attention the hotel staff pays to their guests is unprecedented. Throughout the entire week, everyone was so caring and attentive. Each evening, Monica from housekeeping would ring the doorbell and ask us if we required any turn down services. But in addition to that, she always asked what we spent the day doing. By far, the best customer service I have ever encountered. Now, the reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because everything is incredibly expensive. There are fees for absolutely everything. I understand that when you go on vacation and stay at a Ritz Carlton, it is to be expected. But, I do believe the prices were a little exorbitant...especially for food and drink. I have three complaints. The quality of food was not great. I was actually very disappointed by it. But it is masked by the tremendous service of the staff. There are three restaurants and we ate at each of them. I wish I could say there was one better than the other, but I can't. They were all below average. The beach is very very small. You can walk from one end to the other in about a minute and thirty seconds...three minutes if you walk very very slow. But, even with the tiny beach, the Ritz does a very good job at maximizing space. There are beach chairs galore, even with canopies for those who don't want to be directly in the sun. The third complaint is that there really isn't anything to do other than the water sports unless you want to spend a small fortune. I am a beach lover, so it was wonderful for me, but my husband enjoys being able to do something in the evenings (and not pay an arm and a leg to do so). There really isn't anything to do EXCEPT the beach. This was fine until about 4:00 after we had been out there for 7 hours, but then, there's nothing else. Watching people on the hobie cats and the paddle boards was entertaining because the wind comes out of St. John and creates a difficult situation if you don't know exactly what you are doing. We watched several guests heading toward the coral reef and have to be rescued (for a fee) so they didn't get hurt. It definitely discouraged us from trying it on our own. You can venture into the town, but it was very depressed looking and not too appealing. Actually...kind of scary. Overall, this was a great experience. I don't regret the decision to go and stay, but we will not return.

2 Thank AndreaSH9480VR
Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I just returned from our anniversary trip to St. Thomas. We opted for a rental car during our stay (make sure you stay to the left). Although the speed limit is 10-25 miles per hour, a lot of the drivers go much faster than that and will go right of center around the curves. Everyone we came in contact with at the Ritz-Carlton was very kind and welcoming. Although there was a slight mix up with our luggage and our room, it was eventually corrected. Our ocean view room was simply amazing. The higher the floor the better the view. We didn't mind walking the length of the resort, but carts were available if needed. We did not dine at the resort restaurants (we read on tripadvisor about how expensive they were). We ate at Duffy's Love Shack and Molly Molone's in Red Hook. I read on tripadvisor about mosquitoes being an issue, but we did not have a problem. They did provide a complimentary can of Off in our room.

The kayaks, paddle boats, wind surfers and hobi cats were all available for use with the resort fee. I loved the fact that the Ritz was about 15 minutes away from Charlotte Amalie. It felt more peaceful away from the city. We took the ferry to St. John and to Tortola, BVI. A wonderful trip and great memories.

1 Thank lsnyder1966
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Beautiful location with nice spacious rooms, large bathrooms that have separate shower and full size tub. Resort has a beautiful lagoon that is quite warm and good for water activities. It is quite expensive for food which is in turn fairly average. Great gym. Feels like it is missing something to be considered a truly special place like one would expect with a Ritz resort.

1 Thank Mike M
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas? Share your experiences!