“Good time but would try somewhere else”

Bluebeard's Beach Club and Villas
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
GreenLeadersGold level
Richmond, Virginia
“Good time but would try somewhere else”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at BBC for a week during December. I give it three stars. The beach is excellent and is the best part! It's very private and beautiful. It also has a first class pool bar with very friendly staff. The resort is in a good location on the island, in close proximity to Redhook. The grounds are kept up well and the atmosphere is very laid back and relaxing.
The rooms are average. They recently did some renovations and they are decent, but there are still problems. Our sink was broken which was fixed in a timely manner, our balcony door didn't really work, and other little things. They cut some corners and if I owned a timeshare I might be angry but I was just visiting...
We tried to buy the room cleaning service for a few days, but the staff didn't even bother to make the bed or clean like two dirty dishes (quite frankly I don't know what they did) so we told them not to come back. I couldn't access the Internet for the first three days and ended up paying for the service three times. You also have to log in every time you use it. I still have a claim out to PayPal for a refund.
The first night they hosted a local wedding which was really obnoxious but after that it was quiet. There is no restaurant at the resort which is inconvenient. To be fair, the pool bar staff offer a sandwich menu and coordinate some meals including breakfast everyday for the guests which is quite good, but they aren't affiliated with the resort (strange). The building that was the restaurant is disgusting and needs to either be totally renovated or just torn down.
While the beach and pool are great, I would try somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Don't think you get a choice
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Ryan M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Loxahatchee, Florida
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I gave it 4/5 because there isn't a restaurant. But we are hopeful. Everyone there is so helpful. Enjoy the quiet beach. St. Thomas is a fun place to explore. I let Louis drive cause I get too confused by driving on the left. Oh, you can get sandwiches at the poolside bar for lunch. They are pretty good, too.
Visit Red Hook.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janney8
Fairfield, CT
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

Had a great time! Our room was great, very close to the beach. The beach was unbelievable. A nice relaxing spot, very low key. When they finish the new restaurant I think the place will be even better.

Mr. Nice Guy taxi is not so nice. I used extreme restraint to not bounce his head off his van. It is one thing to compliment my wife but he crossed the line. Then called the room later in the night wondering why we didn't use him on the return trip. Giant A hole!

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank BigHurt1973
Yuma, Arizona
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My wife and I had a nice stay at the Wyndham Bluebeard Beach Club at the end of November 2013. The staff were friendly and helpful. Leslie and Radiant Daly were especially helpful at the front desk. Alex, the General Manager, really tried to make everything perfect for our stay. The pool bar is run separately, and they were also helpful. The food was good but limited to sandwiches. A separate company is renovating and reopening the restaurant, so it will be nice to have a place to eat other than the pool bar. The gift shop is very small and pricey, but better than nothing, I guess.

The pool and beach are beautiful. Occasionally the pool was crowded and noisy, but not too bad. The pool water was usually cool; I think they fill it straight from the ocean since it was salty and didn't' smell of chlorine. They just installed a power lift to get into and out of the pool and it was wonderful.

Other reviewers talked about the cats and iguanas so I won't elaborate except that we loved them. The wifi is really spotty. There is a PC in the lobby you can use, but even it was really slow.

The rooms were ok. Good air-conditioning, TV, beds, etc. We had sewer flies in the bathroom every morning, even when we covered all the drains.

I'd say you don't need a rental car. They are expensive - the airport adds a $10 per day fee when you return it, but no one warns you about it. Driving is difficult, you probably save time and stress by using taxis. Mr. Nice Guy provides pretty good taxi service but do not discuss religion! He also tended to dismiss my wife's questions and only take me seriously.

Over all it was quiet and lovely.

Two problems:

Some people who lived near to the resort walk onto the grounds (right past the signs that explain that the place is only for guests) to use the pool, the beach, the bar, the chairs etc. They boast about how they had talked the management into allowing them in despite the rules since they spend money at the bar. However, the bar is run separately from the resort, so why does Wyndham let them in? They took some of the best chairs and spaces and spent the day. I guess they don't do me any harm, but if I pay big bucks to stay here why can other people just walk in and use the facilities?

Our biggest problem was the steps. My wife had knee replacement surgery two months ago and it was horrible for her. The upgraded studio room had over a dozen steps between the bedroom and the bathroom. Even the handicap room (there is only one) had two large steps between the bedroom and the bathroom. To get to the pool took another 20-30 steps. The staff were kind enough to give my wife a ride to the pool, but she still had to negotiate 8-10 steps to get to where they could pick her up.

AVOID THIS RESORT IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE WITH STEPS!

Room Tip: The Studio upgrades have lots of stairs between the bedroom and the bathroom, but the view is great...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen F
Tecumseh
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This is our favorite place to visit! Our room was ready when we arrived, the grounds are well maintained, and the beach is amazing and clean. There were more people this year than previous years, we think because the buildings were all finished with renovations. The pool bar was open and it was nice to see familiar faces. While we were there this year the driveway was paved and now it's a wonderfully smooth road. Overall, we had another wonderful visit! We'll be back again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SunBeachVacaLover
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stayed here for many years and many more to come. Headed back in two weeks.

Great beach, pool, community BBQ and staff.

Please don' tell anyone about this place, it's all mine!!!

Casual, non-pretentious and a hidden jewel for the unassuming traveler.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
MN
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Let me preface this by stating that we are self-catering people, and very easy going. We had no plans to spend a great deal of time at the property as we would be packing our cooler full of beverages and snacks each morning for touring the many beautiful beaches and all the other wonderful things this island has to offer. It was our first time coming to St. Thomas, with another couple who has been there six or seven times. We booked using their Interval exchange.

I had read so many reviews and looked at tons of photos prior to our trip. It helped me to realistically know what to expect so that we would enjoy our stay. I tend to throw out the best and worst reviews, to come up with an idea of what most people think about the property.

Our check-in took some time and our room wasn't ready when we arrived around 5:30 p.m. Clearly they were pretty busy but Leslie was helpful and humorous. We went out for dinner and drinks while we waited, which was very enjoyable. No worries, we're on Island Time.

We were in Building B, room 215. It was recently redecorated. There were granite counter tops in the kitchen and bath, and a new backsplash and new appliances in the kitchenette. You have a great view of the beach and water, plus the grounds, and you can hear the waves rolling in. There is a table and two chairs on the balcony. We loved the location. It was awesome watching the cruise ships pass. The kitchenette had everything for basic meal prep. I usually made ham/egg/cheese breakfast sandwiches in the morning before we headed out. The fridge worked great. The shower had hot water, it took a while to drain though. There are quite a few steps in the unit so be warned if you have any mobility issues. I feel bad as there was a small issue one day after several hours of rain. I hope someone from the resort reads these reviews as the ceiling leaked during the rain and water dripped onto the kitchen floor. I was going to notify them when I checked out but our friend went up to the office and checked all of us out and I didn't mention it to her.

I don't consider myself picky at all and can let most things slide. I will say, while the room was clean overall, there were several places where a little extra effort could have been made. I'm talking about washing a spot on the wall or trim where something has been spilled, stuff like that. Not a big deal to us, but others might be bothered.

We didn't use the pool. It always looked clean. The beach was spotless and there were plenty chairs. You have sun or shade available. Getting into the water was very easy, no shoes required. Snorkeling was easy as it was pretty calm. One morning we wandered down to the pool bar for breakfast and it was very good. Another evening we went down there and other guests were playing the bean bag toss, our husbands joined in on the fun and we enjoyed watching. The store has a small selection of gifts and you can get basics such as milk, eggs, cheese, etc. I didn't check the prices on the groceries but if you didn't have a car, it would sure come in handy so I thought it was a nice touch.

We had a small safe in the room and there was a clothes line in the shower. There was a nice size flat screen TV in the living room and another in the bedroom. We were given two sets of hand towels/wash cloths for the kitchen, and three bath towels with two wash cloths for the bath, plus two hand towels. There was a hair dryer under the bathroom sink. We were supplied with small-size bars of soap (2), mouth wash, shampoo/conditioner, and lotion. It wouldn't have lasted the entire week but I bring my own anyway. In the kitchen we also had paper towels and a small salt/pepper shaker was included in the basket that had some coffee and sweetener packets.

I had looked forward to shutting the a/c off at night and having the windows open to the breeze. The door to the balcony is not a slider and there is no screen so it wasn't possible. This actually turned out to be a good thing because it rained during the night and early morning every day we were there.

I felt this was a good home base location. It wasn't far into Red Hook for groceries or dinner, etc. I honestly think, no matter where you stay on the island, you would want to rent a car because there are so many beaches and other things to see.

Would I stay here again? Without a doubt! In fact, I could have spent more time than I did just hanging around the property. Just know that while it's a slice of paradise, it is not perfect. Have a great time and relax!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends