Bluebeard's Beach Club and Villas
Mafolie Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)(Great Value!)
US$248
US$242
Emerald Beach Resort(Charlotte Amalie)
US$361
US$275
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort(South Coast)(Great Value!)
US$221
US$213
US$179
  • Pool
US$235
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
Elysian Beach Resort(East End)
  • Breakfast included
Island Beachcomber Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
  • Beachfront
All reviewsnice guypool barprivate beachaqua marinepaninisgrocery storelime treerented a carenergy surchargesand fleaswyndham ownersstudio lofttaxi servicestray catscharlotte amaliesmall resortlaid back
Reviewed 7 May 2007

Where to begin..... This place should be shut down until it is completely rennovated. The units have potential to be nice. Nothing worked in them properly. However, the grounds are so in disrepair you would think it has been abandoned not too long ago. I have never met a more unfriendly staff. You can't get them off their lazy butts to do anything. With the exception of the bartenders at the pool bar (they were great to talk to and very helpful). The restaurant seemed OK until we saw a giant rat run across the roofline. (I guess that's why there are so many cats around.....). The bugs in and out of the rooms were terrible, I look like I have chicken pox. Unless this place -I refuse to call it a resort- gets tore down and built up from scratch, I will never return to that dump again.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank quinlan
Reviewed 29 April 2007

My husband and I just arrived back from our trip to St. Thomas, April 21, 2007.

BlueBeard's Beach Club is a quiet, casual beach resort on the southeast section of St. Thomas.

The Beachfront
The beachfront is beautiful and quiet and located in a bay surrounded by rocks. It is rarely crowded and the entire week we stayed there, we never had a problem finding two chairs in the perfect spot with a beautiful view of cruise ships leaving the main harbor. The sand is nice (no rocks and not too hot to walk on) but not the bright white fine sand widely characterized on some parts of the Carribean. There are fairly large rocks in the bay and close to shore. The water is clear, but not as clear as the beautiful water we found on St. John in Honeymoon Bay.

The Rooms
We stayed in the studio which contained one bed and a pull-out couch. There was also a small ½ sized kitchen with a fridge, two stove burners, sink, and small microwave. It was fairly modern and was clean when we arrived. The resort does not clean rooms on a daily basis. We stayed for one week. It is possible if you stay longer, they may do cleaning, new sheets, etc weekly. I am not sure.

Resort Amenities
The resort has several nice amenities…
A large “life size” chess board (the queen is missing),
A really nice workout room with a spectacular view that we used almost everyday,
A few grills for barbeque and seating areas
A pool with a beach view.

The upkeep of the facilities is not great. This resort is by no means a Marriot, Sheraton, etc. Do not expect that going into it. A few examples, a boat washed up to shore and was half buried in the sand on the beachfront. The tennis courts were overgrown with grass. The staff at the front desk were not friendly and polite as you would expect in the hospitality industry. Tips are automatically added at the restaurants so there is not a huge incentive for them to “earn” the tip. My advice is to be patient, things happen at their own pace here and elsewhere in St. Thomas.

The Restaurant
The restaurant food was OK and was priced moderately in relation to other restaurants on the island. The big plus was the view. The seating is adjacent to the ocean and all tables have a view of the water and sunset for evening meals. At 6PM the cruise ships leave, and I recommend grabbing a bite to eat and a good table at that time. For the two of us, we spent about $30 per person per dinner meal with no drinks included, just water. For example, a side house salad was about $10, chicken parm $20, etc. If you can make it to the resort .8 miles down the road, Bolongo Bay, the food is better, cheaper, and has a larger selection. I wish we found this earlier.

Bugs
At sundown, the bugs are brutal. We bought some spray containing 30% deet and that seemed to do the trick. Most other folks at the resort said they did not have any issues with bugs.

Price/Value
We actually stayed on a timeshare from someone we know so I have no way to tell if we got a good “bang for the buck”, although, we were not happy when they charged us $18 per day ($9 per person) for an “energy” charge. This ended up being $140 extra for the week. They did not tell us in advance and it was not on the estimated charges document we signed when we checked in. Just keep this in mind if you are bringing 4 kids, these charges will add up quickly on a per person basis.

Transportation
This resort, like many resorts on the island is not within walking distance of anything. We rented a car and it took us approx 20 minutes to get to any destination on the island from the hotel. Driving is on the left hand size of the road and the speed limit does not go above 35 (which is absolutely necessary due to the terrain). Folks at the resort mentioned to us that Taxi’s are available from the hotel at about a cost of $9 per person per trip. The hotel is located on the southeast side, half way between the main town where cruise ships land and Red Hook where you catch the ferry to St. John. There are parts of the island that have projects and poverty beyond what I expected so, wherever you go on the island, keep the thinking cap on, do not drive at night through bad areas and ask the hotel staff where the bad areas are, etc.

I hope this helps… I will try to post some pictures later on.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jlmuszyn
Reviewed 20 April 2007

I stayed at Bluebeard's Beach Club in mid April with 8 relatives. We had three rooms all right next to each other and it was booked through the Fairfield vacation/timeshare club. My sister-in-law who belongs to the Fairfield club said that this resort didn't really seem up to the Fairfield standards as it was recently purchased by Fairfield.
The Pros:
- Very nice beach, not a lot of people on it, decent snorkeling around the rocks
- They were building a very nice looking stone grill. We used the current grill there a couple of times with no problems
- The pool and swim up bar were nice and the pool was a really good temperature, good drinks
- We only ate lunch at the restaurant there once but the food was pretty good bar type food.

The Cons:
- Shower water pressure was terrible in all three of the rooms
- the toliet broke in one of the rooms and I don't remember it really being repaired while we were there
- While the beds seemed nice, the pull out couch bed was horrendously uncomfortable and old, needs replacing.
- No real night life on the resort and seemed to be an older crowd. One night there was a pretty good reggae band but only about 12 people (8 of whom were my relatives) showed up to listen to them
- Rooms had plenty of space but need some upgrade in decoration - had an 80s feel.

We rented cars so we had no problems getting around. In fact , once we went to check in for directions and a nice cab driver let us follow him since he was going the same way. There were a couple strange things, like the outdoor ballroom type area by the check in that was either let go or looked badly damaged by a storm was visible to guests. This part should be closed off as it needs renovation badly and makes that portion of the resort look extremely run down. Also they had a little cat house with 10 or so cats around the resort. Someone gave them some food so then they were hanging around the steps to our rooms constantly. They didn't really bug us but it was just strange opening your door to cats on your doorstep every morning and worrying about them getting in the room.

Overall we had a lot of fun regardless of the cons. I would say this place is good if you are on a tight budget but it is not a luxury resort by any means.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
8  Thank KMC22
Reviewed 9 April 2007

I have a timeshare that can be used anywhere in the world through the exchange program, so I was thrilled when a week became available in March 2007 in St Thomas VI. Please also note I am a PT Mystery Shopper who has "Shopped" you name it for the last 4+ yrs, so this was a easy one. I wish the timeshare had hired me to complete a "Mystery Shop" on this "Resort" as they would have immediately stopped exchanging to this resort after my review.

If you do decide to stay at this resort (if that is what you want to call it) it's more like a Motel 6 that should have been renovated 20 yrs ago then plz get a rental car through Hotwire before you leave home, if you don't you are looking at 10-14 per person in a taxi per trip which can really add up. The most expensive part of the trip was taxi rides.

Let's get back to the resort (hotel, motel??) When checking in we were hit with a surcharge of $10 per person for utilities, they place a $250 hold on my credit card. Hotel staff were nice but clearly portrayed paradise was waiting just around the corner, little did we know what was around the corner and it wasn't paradise.

We then had to get a ride to the room because everything is up the hill and down the hill and there was no way you could walk from the check-in to the room, remember: where tennis shoes or shoes that grip as you will certainly fall. We jumped on a truck that was converted to ?? when we arrived he removed the luggage and took it to our room, we then provided him with a customary tip.

In the room, the first thing I did was to check to make sure we had no visitors, the room was clear. Opened up the curtains to let the carribean sunshine and breeze flow thru. Immediately I noticed problems, the door knob to the room had punched a whole in the wall and this had not been repaired, there was no VCR or DVD Player. The linen had holes in them, the electricity on one side of the room didn't work so there were no lights or alarm clock, everything had to be adjusted. The bathroom needed to caulking around the tup and toliet. We had no TV for 3 days as the sattelite could not find a signal. The room had a limited kitchen, no skillet to cook with we had to use a pot. When we confronted the Front Desk we were told to hang in there, take it easy your on vacation.

The Grounds were "Horrific" landscaping was completely shot, unkept, dead grass, dead planting, patio furniture should be completely thrown out and new furniture should be purchased and standing water was everywhere which of course attracted misquitos, we had approximately 50 bites between up in the first 2 days of our 7 day tropical vacation. Then there was the bed bites, everyone complained of the bed bites, you went to sleep peacefully and awoke swollen and bitten.

Please do not ride with Mr. Nice Guy he is irrogant, cocky and brazen....clearly there are kick-backs happening between resort staff and this so called Taxi Driver. He completely dominates the Taxi Service at this Resort and intimidates the other Taxi Drivers as well as the Customers, if he hears that you rode with another Taxi he has the audacity to question us??

The Restaurant was ok, overpriced, food was hot, small portions and not seasoned really well. There is a Bar/Restaurant/Seating area off of the Front Desk Check in that was blocked off by partical board and look like a hurricane had come through and completely ripped it apart, I noticed it while a "welcome presentation" was occuring, the presentation was to sell tours to the newly arrived guest, you save $$ by booking through the "Resort", all of this was done right next to this disaster area, the roof was caving in, the balcony was ripped away, cobb webs, spiders and junk was everywhere.

And finally, I also took my camera and took photo's of the deficiences with this "resort" so that I can share this information with Interval International in hopes that they reconsider exchanging at this resort until they begin and complete at least 50% of much needed rennovations.

Hope this helps you decide where you will stay, some guest thought this was paradise. I have stayed at 15-20 resorts in the last 5 years and this is the worst and I would never return.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends
4  Thank bornshopper
Reviewed 4 March 2007

We stayed at Bluebeard's from 2/24/07 - 3/3/07. This was our second trip to St. Thomas and we loved Bluebeard's. The beach was very private and not crowded, except for Sunday when they shuttled in the Castle guests - otherwise the beach was quiet and beautiful. The snorkeling was good, but a little cloudy most days from surf. Coki Beach is the best snorkel spot we have found, but to just float around from the beach, Lime Tree was fine (the beach at Bluebeard's BCV). The rooms were very nice, a sleeping area, sitting area, kitchenette and bathroom and a balcony, it was fine. We didn't spend much time in the room - sleep, shower, make and eat breakfast - otherwise we were at the beach or the pool. We did make it to the swim up bar at the pool a few times, but the beach was way too tempting. We spent a day at Coki - a must for any visitor. Took the ferry to St. John for a day, did a day trip to the BVI, and loved it - we went via the Breakaway and Capitan Kevin was great. We visited Virgin Gorda and the Baths, Martin Cay (Pusser's), snorkeled at Diamond Reef and our last stop was the Soggy Dollar Saloon - the build up was hard to live up to - but the Soggy Dollar and surrounding area managed to surpass the hype.

The weather was fabulous - and the beach great - in fact we decided to purchase a week and look forward to going back!

Rent a car - the taxi's will kill your budget - getting used to driving on the left isn't that bad! -- once you've learned how to turn right you'll be fine!

Take bug spray or sunscreen with "Off" as the sand fleas come out at night and bite and bite!

If you are looking for a fabulous, relaxing, enjoyable, beach, snorkel and sun vacation - you won't be disappointed. It isn't cheap - but not out of sight in cost either.

Remember you're in the Caribbean and you'll enjoy the visit much better if you expect to wait for everything! It's Island Time.

Stayed: February 2007