“Crystal Cove - Another Memorable Vacation”

Crystal Cove Beach Resort on Sapphire Bay
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
MD
“Crystal Cove - Another Memorable Vacation”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We just returned from another great trip to Crystal Cove - Sapphire Beach. Stayed in A building booked thru Dave at bestbeach.com, excellent rental. Dave treats us like old friends when we book and Norma his on site manager always takes good care of us. Many hours at Sapphire Beach with excellent snorkeling on reefs on the left and right, and plentiful sea turtles in the center sea grass. Also snorkeled at Lindquist Beach up the road a few times, excellent reefs. Found some new restaurants like Cheers Mate at Pools & Pavilions (best deal on fish/chips on Friday night and super friendly staff and cook) and ate at our old standby Mafolie Restaurant, best view of Charlotte Amalie. Went to St. John one day and excellent snorkeling at Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Beach. Drove to Coral Bay, not worth the trip, not much there. Cruz Bay has much more shopping and restaurants. Already looking forward to another visit in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank byrdman1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Crystal cove is a great buy! Affordable and spacious. The rooms aren't brand new but who vacations for the rooms? The views were Amazing and we were within feet of a beautiful private beach! I recommend this property if you really want to get a feel for the VI, unlike a secluded resort this property was close to the nearby city of Red Hook and close to lots of water activities and other VI destinations. I recommend taking the safari for $1 to town it will save you a lot of money on taxis plus it added to the trip. The woman at the front desk was sweet and helpful, just make sure to ask for snorkeling gear and borrow it and explore your own private beach. I will be back!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We purchased a Groupon for a 6 day, 5 night stay and were very pleased! The condos are perfectly situated on Sapphire Beach and about a mile away from "downtown" Red Hook and the ferry station. This means that you have quick access to a nice, calm beach that doesn't get too much traffic and a quick, convenient ride downtown to eat or catch the ferry to another island. The grounds itself are very neat, clean and gated. Everyone we passed was very nice and welcoming. We stayed in condo B-2. While, yes, the condos aren't brand new - the condo we stayed in was very nice for what we needed- which was just a decent roof over our heads for the duration if our trip. It was spacious with two beds and two baths, enough comfortable space for my friend and I. I suggest walking up the driveway to the main road to take an open air taxi into town. It costs $1 per per person. There is one restaurant on the lot and a swimming pool but we didn't try either so I can't give an opinion,

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Montagma
virginia beach
Reviewed 12 May 2014

3 years ago my husband and I stayed with friends at a condo here owned by their family and had a great time so when I saw the deal on Groupon, I decided it would be our vacation spot this year. I knew we wouldn't be able to get the same privately owned condo but when I booked our trip I asked for something similar. I was more than pleased when we opened the door to D-22. Colorful walls, fully equipped kitchen, comfortable king bed, tv with cable, beautiful view outside our door, I was very happy with our decision to stay here. You cannot beat the beach with its amazing views and easy access. I don't understand when people claim that the property is "not pretty". I agree that the condo's themselves are a little outdated but the landscaping around the property is gorgeous with all sorts of flowers, trees and shrubs. Also, I see alot of complaints of not having a bar/restaurant on the beach. Two thoughts on this, 1. you're staying in a condo with a full kitchen. it's not difficult to stock up on snacks and drinks and when you're in need, walk the 100 yards back to the condo (or bring a cooler to the beach!) and 2. if there was a restaurant, the beach would get crowded-ruining the peacefulness that attracts so many to it!
Location wise it's in a prime spot. At most it took 10 minutes to catch a safari to Red Hook with plenty of food options (aim for happy hour-best deals!!) and taxi's back are a little steep at $4/person but better than trying to walk (did it and DO NOT recommend it!!).
Only few (very minor) complaints- wifi wouldn't connect (but my husband and I both have sprint so our service was still in-network) and the gas oven was a little tricky, would've helped to have some pointers on how to get it to work (the knob was a little off so it took some tries to get it on/off and at the right temp)
So overall- if you're looking for a gorgeous, quiet beach and you don't need all the frills and pampering of a hotel/resort, this is the place for you. Just communicate with the manager if you have concerns and hopefully they'll take care of your worries!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank sneavl
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Sappphire beach is absolutely gorgeous, but crystal cove exteriorly is completely outdated and in major need of cleanup and repairs. Units r owned individually so ur unit could be good or bad. Read reviews. If u like pretty well kept plush grounds and pretty looking buildings.... then go somewhere else. The only pisitive we found is the beach is gorgeous...
Many other places to stay that will give u that inviting vacation feel.
Not here....

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank kat s
Philadelphia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My husband and I just returned from Crystal Cove. We had a very good time, but this place has the potential to be a fabulous vacation.

Pros:
Beach/location: This is a great location. It is a 2 min drive to red hook (a little town and a ferry port) which makes things convienient. The beach is gorgous and one of the best on the island. The condos are right on the beach so the views are great.
Housekeeping: Our housekeeper was great. Things were clean and she even did the dishes in the sink for us.
Pool: The pool was lovely. A nice temperature and right on the water. There were enough chairs and it has been maintained well.
Staff: The staff were friendly and helpful.

Cons:
The biggest con was the issue between the condo association and the person who owns the property. There are buildings such as a resturant and a dive shop that have been boarded up due to the property owner refusing to complete the renovation. There is a small snack stand/bar that is open but that is it. There is a small resturant at the hotel next door which is a short walk. This did not bother me as much because I have diet restrictions and I mostly cooked my meals, but it bothered my husband and other guests. It also cheapened the beautiful property.

Some of the condos have not been maintained or updated. We had to be moved the first night because the refrigerator was not working. This room was very outdated but adequate. The second condo was much better maintained and was a little more updated. Each condo is privately owned so you do not know what you are getting unless you book privately.

Front Desk: The guest service desk was adequate, but the different staff members did not talk to each other to communicate. We came by and asked for an airport taxi for the next day (it was done with no issue) and when we came back at the end of the day to verify, the woman had no clue about it. I think some sort of system should be in place where everyone is on the same page.

All in all, we had a very good time. We would go back, but I think we would try and book privately so that we could pick the condo we want.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank ericapeace2000
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I bought a 5-night stay at Crystal Cove as a Groupon deal with Paradise Properties. This location has about 80 units, 30 of which are managed by Paradise Properties. Most units recommended on TripAdvisor are not among those 30. I asked for the nicest room available (couldn't hurt to ask). My request was clearly written on my receipt at the desk.

We were given room B2. This second floor unit had minimal furnishings, no carpets, 3 non-working TVs, no telephone, and broken window shades in the front. The toilets were dirty, the bifold doors on the closets were off out of their tracks.

We were moved to B17. This is not a luxury room but at least it has the basics: Carpet in the common area, kitchenette with fridge and stove, working AC, 2 full bathrooms, working window shades, and a small fenced-in private backyard. There are 2 working TVs with cable and free wifi (sometimes didn't work). My only complaints were of thin mattresses on the sofa beds and one ceiling fan not working (above the sofa bed, so the kids were hot on our first night). There was no telephone.

Crystal Cove has gated access and the grounds are clean. There's a pool that I never saw anybody in. The beach is lovely, though a bit windy. The views are gorgeous and snorkeling was nice. Beach chairs are available to borrow at no cost. There's shuffleboard near the beach.

St. Thomas is a beautiful island and a fantastic destination. Crystal Cove seems about average, certainly not a high-end location, and I was upset at the initial room assignment, especially since there clearly were better rooms to be had. I wouldn't stay there again, but if you plan to, be sure to deal directly with a unit owner (rather than Paradise Properties) so that you know exactly what to expect.

Room Tip: Avoid room B2!! Room B17 was fine (see my review)