“""" STAY AWAY """”

Antilles At Sapphire Beach Resort
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
Reviewed 24 August 2009

We were so excited to arrive in St Thomas until we pulled into Sapphire Beach. The place was a dump. Our room was dirty went to the staff who did not seem to give a you know what. They said the room would be cleaned, when we arrived back it had not been touched. The floor had food all over it, the drapes falling off, the fridge made so much noise hard to sleep, and the bed was about 30 years old you could feel the springs. The pool was cracked and had rust all over the bottom. Every where we went to eat the locals would ask where we were staying and we would tell them and they would say "Oh" that use to be a nice place, not one local had anything good to say about the so called resort. Shame on these places you save your money, use your vacation time and end up in a dump like this. We ended up checking out early and going to the Marriott for our remaining stay.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank lmorrow26
There are newer reviews for Antilles At Sapphire Beach Resort

Reviewed 4 August 2009

I have to say that i read the reviews after we had booked to stay at Spphire Beach, and was already nervous upon arriving! As soon as i pulled up i knew what i was in for! There was police line around one of the buildings since the building had burned recently! They neglected to tell you that when you booked to stay there! The grounds were in terrible shape. Weeds everywhere and gates that didnt even work and had to be hand lifted to get on the property. The rode in front of rooms is tore up with huge holes and a bull dozier that was sitting in the middle of the rode. You did not feel like this was a vacation or tropical getaway! When we were brought to our rooms we were told to keep the back door shut since they have drifters that might walk in and steal from you. The bathroom was updated but that was the only thing. The tv was not even hooked up, the phones were not plugged in and didnt even have batteries. There were stains on the bed and bedskirt, the dust was terrible and the air conditioning stops working whenever someone leaves the room, so you always come back to a hot muggy room. Also the smell was so bad, it smelled just like mold. All the restaurants are closed, except for one beach bar, that i wouldnt want to ever eat in! Dont let me forget the lobby, there were chickens walking around in the lobby and a huge rat trap that could catch a cat! This place might have been nice before, but is just old and run down. We only stayed for an hour while we were on the phone booking to stay at another place. When we arrived to the other place we found four other couples that did the same thing we did. They checked into Sapphire beach that day and checked out an hour later!!! Just make sure its what you want before you book it. I know you only sleep in the room, but it was terrible and there is nothing to do at the resort!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank preschool2
Reviewed 13 December 2008

Please stay away! Pay a little extra and stay somewhere else. My husband, our infant daughter, and I stayed for 1 week. We were moved to another room halfway through the trip and were told the owner booked it for his friends. There is no wifi in the room and we had to go to the lobby to search for information on St. Thomas. The concierge was never there to help!
Worst of all one of the house keeping staff that cleaned our room stole belongings from us! We reported it to staff and even spoke to the manager and was pretty much blown off! We were never gotten back to at all about our stolen property! I regret staying here and would not ever stay here again.

Reviewed 22 October 2008

This place is absolutely disgusting!! The beach is nice but the rooms are outdated and just awful to stay in! Our room overlooked the dumpsters and the porta-jons which was in building F. I can't believe this place has such a high rating, I truly felt like we were at the resort from hell... We immediately booked a room at the Marriott Frenchmans Cove and got out of there as soon as we could. The Marriott Frenchmans Cove is great, we love it there! Please don't waste your time and money staying at Sapphire, you can always visit that beach during the day...

Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank bananas81
Reviewed 30 May 2008

This place is beautiful, everyone on the staff was helpful, our room was updated and great. We will definatly go back to this place. Next time we will probably stay on the bottom level to walk directly out onto the beach. Although we did meet a lady who lives there and she owns a second level unit, she rents it out for $150 a nite. I did not see the unit but she was very nice and sells her daughter's art work (which I bought!)
We stayed a week and bought supplies in Red Hook at the Marina Market.
Great trip!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank goat50
Reviewed 14 January 2008

As a long time guest at Sapphire Beach, I have watched the resort prosper and decline. The beach has always been the main attraction - it is arguable the nicest on the island and home to a beautiful reef with snorkelling. However, our last few stays there have met with poor customer service and dated accomodations.

Fortunately, our stay over New Years was phenomenal! The retaurants and bars are re-open. The staff seems to have gotten an attitude adjustment and the property looks to have gotten some updating.

Maybe, I went in with lowered expectations this last time but, our trip was really phenomenal. The improvements were noticable and I hope are a sign of things to come....

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BASSETT0477
Reviewed 31 December 2007

This is the first time I have ever written a review. My experience was so terrible that I felt compelled to warn others.

Our check-in time was to be at 2 (or maybe it was 3) PM. We arrived early having come from a week's stay in St. John. Understandably our room was not ready so we thought we'd use the lobby bathrooms to change into our swimsuits. The lobby bathroom was disguisting and one of the toilets was not flushing. I immediately reported it to the front desk clerk who made a flimsy excuse and did nothing to correct the problem. We immediately left the property to find other restrooms.

After numerous times of checking with the front desk our room was finally ready 1.5 hours after the official check-in time.

Our unit was at the Crystal Cove at Sapphire Beach. I realize that each one of them is individually owned. Our condo was spacious however, it was dingy, 20 years outdated and the furniture was extremely uncomfortable. The sheets were so gross that I slept on a large beach towel the 3 nights we were there.

I love to read books and relax on vacation but the accomodations were so dis-satisfactory that I could not relax or enjoy a book. It was the most miserable vacation I have ever experienced.

The one bright spot of this resort is the female bartender who owns part of the pool-side bar. She was genuinely warm and kind and has superb customer service skills!!!!

I am quite sure this resort was fantastic in its day but now it is a total dive. My next trip to the USVI will be spent by the pool at the Wyndham and I hope yours will be too!!!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple