“GotwhatIpaidfor”

Sunset Gardens Guesthouse
Hampton, Virginia
“GotwhatIpaidfor”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I have stayed @ this hotel on several occasions, I found it to be great for the price. I was able to go to the store buy food, cook in my room and save many dollars on meals. Deb was a fabulous host. If u are looking for RITZ-CARLTON accommodation then go there. AWESOME view I will always stay here. Yes I have also stayed @ resorts on the island, expensive and many extra fee's. I enjoyed my stay will return again. Deb thanks again for your help with my elderly mother. See you in March.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Laverne Y

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I had a few problems. The cable TV didn't work at all for 3 nights out of 5, despite daily trouble calls. Hot water in the sink is solar powered, so good luck shaving in the morning. There is a pump for hot water in the shower, so that was fine. But the toilet and A/C worked and the bed was comfortable. The pool area looked nice, and the room, though dated, was clean. The TV problem wasn't happening to anyone else - so I'd give the hotel a "C". Bottom line - next visit to STT I'll look hard for somewhere else to stay.

P.S. Knowing I would arrive late, I called 2 days ahead to be sure I would be "taken care of", and was told "no problem". When I arrived around 11 pm, I woke up the property manager, who had no idea about my call or arrival (or reservation). Apparently the online phone number that I called was to the owners, who don't live there. It wasn't the best start to a stay.

Room Tip: Go for the one-bedroom suite. It's worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Chris H

Travellers are raving about these St. Thomas hotels

Saratoga Springs, Ny
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This place was not at all acceptable to my family. The accommodations were run down and pieced together. For example, the bed was pushed up against the wall so one person had to climb over the other to get in and out. The kitchen and in general the furnishings were pieced together haphazardly. It smelled like insecticide and was dark. The location was difficult- with no restaurant nearby we had to take a cab everywhere which was expensive and inconvenient because you had to call and then wait. We stayed one night and that was well enough.

Room Tip: stay clear unless you are desperate
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ScoopFrog
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed 27 November 2013

1) Taxi is very expensive. From STT airport for my and 4 children, with 4 small bags costed 4 ucks to get to the hotel (they charge per bag...depending on size)
2) When I made the reservations, I told them I would arrive at 10:30p. Upon arrival, the front desk lady did not answer either phone number....I even called the emergency number listed on the door. Me and my 3 small children (12 and under), was left outside, in the dark, in the middle of the hills in an unfamiliar place. It took me pounding on the door before someone came to check us in.
4) Room was clean, BUT I open the fridge and discovered a 1/2 gallon of SOLID MILK. How could that be you ask? Maybe because the date on the carton read DEC 2, 2012! Yes, It's a year old!!!!
5) My children and I will wake up early, brush our teeth, and head to the Marriott. Pay the $200-$300 to stay at a quality hotel. You gett what you pay for.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SuperMomof3b0yz
St Thomas
Reviewed 7 November 2013

This is the Best place ever. We have the best view on the island, a pool outside my door, cable, Internet, and transportation to anywhere on the island. This is definitely my island home and the property manager, Deb, is soooooo great! She made sure we were taken care of at ALL times and she is so much fun! We had a pool party and cooked on the grill, while enjoying the view of St Croix, Puerto Rico, Water Island, and all of the cruise ships! It is AMAZING!!!!!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank renee s
missouri
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed here for several nights after island hopping. We have stayed in many hotels in St. Thomas through the years and usually you get what you pay for. Our room was clean and had a small living room and kitchen. It was also air conditioned, which worked well. We were not there to cook but it was nice to have a refrigerator to keep beverages cold. The view from the covered deck was awesome! We were able to watch the cruise ships leave the harbor, sea planes takeoff and land in the harbor, as well as other vessels move about the harbor. Remember, this is not a 5 star hotel!! For the price you pay, it is a great value. We had a car and parking at the hotel was good. We will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wpool
Marietta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We have been to the Caribbean many times during our 52 years of marriage. We stayed at the Water Isle Colony Club on Water Isle in St. Thomas almost 43 years ago. The colony club hotel no longer exists, torn down by a hurricane. But the view of this beautiful island from the Sunset Garden Suites was fantastic.

The wonderful woman at the reception was so helpful and accommodating. She provided us with many tips on where to dine, where to shop and encouraged us not to drink the tap water. Instead, she sold us a full gallon of purified water for about $5.00, telling us that would be less expensive than purchasing the small bottles from the cooler. She is Debbie. What a wonderful breakfast she provided at no extra charge with yoghurt, bagels and cream cheese, cold cereal and soy milk, along with coffee and tea. We had our breakfast on the terrace. Debbie upgraded our room to a one bedroom suite with efficiency kitchen.
The suite could have used a. "Polishing" to make it seem fresh, but that may be difficult in the dampness of the island. We would suggest removing the heavy drapes, rearranging the bed and one chair for a view out of Te window that is currently blocked by the headboard.
We loved the arrangement of the rooms. The pool could have used a cleaning, which was eventually done. This is a most reasonable and charming hotel.

Room Tip: Request the suites on upper level. Many stairs to three levels of rooms. The long entryway to the ro...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple