“Repeat Customer”

Sunset Gardens Guesthouse
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I absolutely LOVE this place!

It's no Marriott or Ritz, hell I won't even give it a Best Western. What I will say it that is the best local homegrown experience on the island.

This was the second place I stayed on island on vacation. I ended up living on the island (I mean all over it) and found myself moving back to Sunset every time! It is one of the few places on island that share space with local residences. So I can understand how loud it can get, and it is a community. Everyone gathering around the pool and everyone bringing a dish was one of my favorite past times.

I've seen people, literally, freak out because the cable sucks.
It's NOT the U.S. and for the price, the view is more than worth it. from every room you can see from the airport to Yacht Haven. And there are a ton of amazing characters that stay and frequent.

I've had my annoying experiences, but once again I made the decision to visit a place where people live. Coming from a sheltered stateside life, it is by far the safest place in my opinion on island and i lived all over the island. I learned that aside from the 24 hour monitored security cameras, local law enforcement is always around.

People once again it is not the Ritz, this is such a local experience!
If you are an opened-minded or adventurous person, someone on this property will get you the best deals on some of the funnest activities and events. Not to mention transportation. It is convenient to everything. Taxi can get to you or (my favorite) hike down/up the hill.

I've been coming back every year in April for the past 3 years since I moved away and I ALWAYS stay at Sunset.

Room Tip: My favorite rooms are the one's in the same building as the property manager. B1, Love it...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank KneadedTherapist

Reviewed 12 May 2014

It is indeed Virgin Islands where there is no History to speak of, no agriculture, no culture whatsoever and if you take tourism out of here, everything will collapse. It is all artificial unlike Barbados or Jamaica where there is civilization and culture and food. We are jaded travelers. To us St. Thomas has no beauty to write home about. Just returned from spectacularly beautiful Azores islands before going to the Virgin Islands. In the middle of it all, Sunset Gardens is as good as it gets. The property manager Deb is amazingly wonderful. She is from the West Coast of the USA and in her thoughts she is a real coaster with her wonderful liberal views. Our "studio" apartment was actually a one bedroom one. It had everything one may need. The pool was not clean but we were there for one night and did not need to use it. I just want to tell everyone that the office is closed from 12 to 3 PM. We arrived at 1:30 PM and relaxed by the poolside until Deb showed up at 2:30 PM. Wifi works very well. View from the balcony was as nice as it can get here. Bring food with you and eat here. If you are here for multiple nights, planning to cook will save you a lot of money and it will be healthy as well.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Purobi
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

This was the worst place I have ever stayed!The woman running the place is the only nice thing I have to say. The rooms are like a dungeon with missing smoke detectors and no ways of egress once you have deadbolted yourself in 3 times. I didn't not get an ounce of sleep, I felt dirty and unsafe and couldn't wait for the cab to get get us out of there! Gross everything!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 312,312
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here at the beginning of a sailing trip in March. Thank goodness it was only for one night! The view was nice, however we also got to spend time looking at the trash on the hillside . Room was clean except for the really nasty questionable spots on the couch in the "suite". I slept in my clothes... The shower was connected to electricity - I guess to heat the water ? Needless to say, I believe this is kinda dangerous ?!
Do not stay here - there are many more nice places for the same or close price. ( we stayed somewhere else on the back end of our trip and had a great experience) ... Just my warning to you .

Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank Wvkatyjean
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Sunset Gardens is a great place for the money you pay. This is not a resort. It is renting an apartment in a neighborhood. I would not recommend Sunset Gardens to families. There is a small pool, but nothing else for children to do. You will need a car if you want to go into town or tour the island unless you want to pay for taxis to take you everywhere. The hotel is located on the west side of the island build on the side of a mountain. The hotel is close to the airport but not much else, although only minutes into town. It is a bit noisy! Between the roosters crowing and the dogs barking all through the night I could hardly sleep. But what really set off alarms were the gun shots ringing out below the hotel. My room was very clean and had beautiful views of the harbor. Other then the noise I enjoyed staying here. The room was comfortable and had a kitchen, so I could save money on food. The manager Debra goes out of her way to assist in your stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank kathylorraine
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Having read a few reviews of Sunset Gardens prior to my stay there, I certainly arrived with moderate expectations. However I was pleasantly surprised to find out that many of the criticisms levelled at this place turned out to be inaccurate, or at least, not applicable to the room I was staying in.
The room had a kitchen/living area and bedroom, along with a balcony that had a spectacular view across Crown Bay. The kitchen was fully equipped for people who want to prepare their own food, the TV possessed virtually every channel under the sun, the pool area is really nice (again, with an excellent view), and Deb the manager does everything to ensure that you have an enjoyable stay.
There were some negatives. In my room, the WiFi signal did not extend to the bedroom, it was only available in the living room area (although there is a separate connection in the pool area which was very fast). The shower wasn't particularly powerful, although the temperature was fine. And the AC was very noisy which did occasionally disturb a night's sleep.
However, for $120/night, this is as good as you'll get in St Thomas and I felt as though it represented good value. As other reviewers have advised, if you want your five-star luxuries, then pay $300/night and go and stay in the Marriott. If you want a nice, sociable hotel with fantastic views, then Sunset Gardens is definitely worth considering.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 308Saint_John
Reviewed 11 February 2014

My standards are not high, and I wasn't expecting high end. I'm completely fine with basic or hodgepodge, but this place was gross. The only reason it got two stars was because it was cheap.
Every fixture in the room was missing light bulbs, the window crank wasn't screwed to the window (meaning the living room window could neither be opened more or closed), smoke detectors were missing in at least two places (and I'm not sure there were any in the room), the living room/couch area reeked, and everything was just incredibly noisy. The ceiling fans alone had three noises (fan noise, a click, a squeaky wobble noise) the refrigerator was loud, the a/c was easy to confuse with a plane (and the thermostat had a "clunk" right before it turned on), and we could hear everything going on in the room above us. It was loud enough that the roosters didn't wake us up.

On top of that, it just felt grimy. Between the couch (it smelled like something peed on it), the handprints all over all of the walls, the squashed bug smudges, the dirt on the ceiling fans, it was just gross.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
#12 of 13 in Charlotte Amalie
Galleon House Bed & Breakfast
Galleon House Bed & Breakfast
#7 of 13 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Sunset Gardens Guesthouse? Share your experiences!