“Very Nice place”

Two Sandals by the Sea Inn - Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 21 St. Thomas B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed there 3 nights,the lobby was very hot but the room I stayed in was comfortable, very clean and not that quiet with the balcony door open. The owners were very helpful and pleasant. I did some diving and sailing which were great

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Andrzej970

Reviewed 20 April 2014

This was out 3rd time staying at Two Sandals by the Sea B&B and we love it every time. The rooms are clean and quiet, the breakfasts are filling and delicious and we loved chatting with Helen and Jun. They are both gracious hosts - offering wonderful advice - Jun even took us out on a boat ride to Turtle Bay, where we saw many sea turtles in some beautiful, blue-green water. The balcony where we ate breakfast has a lovely view of Red Hook Harbor and there was always a nice breeze there, morning and evening. It was a relaxing and beautiful vacation and Jun and Helen helped to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. Can't wait to go back.

Debbie and Ed
Ellicott City, MD

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie B
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Because we waited too late to book at our regular resort (Bluebeard's Beach Club) we had to look for another place to stay for our final two nights on St. Thomas. We researched and decided on Two Sandals.

When we turned down their private driveway (which I wouldn't call private as other houses share it) I was a little afraid for the undercarriage of our tiny Yaris car, but we finessed it and as we drove through the gate we were greeted by mountain views and colorful bouganvilla blossoms. Later I told Helen that when we stepped through the door, my first thought was "Hemingway would have stayed here!" The decor is understated rusted elegance. Ceiling fans carved in the shape of palm leaves turn lazily overhead. Groupings of comfy furniture are scattered in various corners. A reading library waits in the corner. A solid square shaped bar looks perfect for gathering and chatting.

My favorite was the huge plank table in the center of the room, with maps and guidebooks ready to help you plan your next expedition! Jun and Helen are welcoming and personable hosts, and in short order we had a cool beer in our hand.

The room was similarly spare in decor, but very comfortable once the small but powerful air conditioner kicked in. I like a cool bedroom but even I had to turn the temperature up a few degrees - that little machine packs a punch! :) The flatscreen TV worked well, and we appreciated the mini fridge. My only minor complaint is that there is no access to ice. A small ice machine would be a nice addition, even if it was out in the common area.

They made the most of the odd-shaped en-suite bathroom, with a tiled shower, rustic wood countertop and a unique basin that sits on top of the counter rather than sunk into it. As a short person, i found it a little problematic to brush my teeth as it was too tall for me to bend over it. :) The towels were clean, however with the humidity the bath towels quickly developed a musty smell upon use. (I wasn't me! I swear!) I would suggest a final rinse with a cup of white vinegar when the towels are laundered. I have to do this at home once in a while in the summer if I don't get the towels out of the dryer right away.

The first night, the house (nightclub) next door blared loud music late into the night, however the white noise of the a/c drowned most of it out, and I was too tired to care, anyway. The second night (a Sunday night) was quieter.

Breakfast was delicious both mornings, with Helen's fresh baked chocolate chip scones one morning, and banana chocolate chip bread the next. The meal was rounded out with yogurt with granola and a dollop of what i think was guava jelly (served in a charming Mason jar), hot hard boiled eggs, mixed juice, and coffee/tea. We definitely didn't go away hungry! The view from the balcony is a great view of the surrounding mountains, Red Hook and the harbor. If you're adventurous, it's a short walk to town if you take the shortcut through the back gate. Try to overlook the rather cluttered back yard across the road. There's a dog in that yard but honestly he wasn't nearly as noisy as the roosters! But aren't roosters part of "island life?" :)

Secret Harbor is a short walk away though we didn't go down there this trip.

Overall it was a very nice stay and we'd recommend Jun and Helen's place to anyone looking for a low-key, pleasant break from resort madness. We found them to be friendly and warm. If there were two things I'd change, it'd be provide some access to ice, and please *please* buy that nightclub next door and put it out of its misery. ;)

I've provided some photos - sorry I didn't take any of the room before our luggage exploded all over it!

Thanks for a lovely two days, guys!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the neighboring nightclub.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We had initially told the owners (Jun and Helen) that we were arriving at 11:30 but ended up taking an earlier ferry from St John. Jun met us on the porch and informed us that it was no problem at all and let us change into our bathing suits and store our luggage so that we could get to the beach. The location of Two Sandals was very convenient and the rooms are comfortable. It is a short walk to the beach (Secret Harbor), close to a variety of restaurants and the view from the deck in our room was very nice. Helen served a really good breakfast (juice, sausage and cheese biscuits, tea, hard boiled eggs and yogurt with granola and honey). It was a nice break from the usual muffins and juice that you sometimes get from a continental breakfast. Jun offered (and we took him up on it) to take us to the airport on the day we were heading out. We had a great conversation with him about his businesses and possible travel to Connecticut. Overall we would definitely recommend Two Sandals if you are looking for a place to stay in St Thomas.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lkarasev2293
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Loved the feel and decor of Two Sandals. It was cozy like home. We stayed in a room with a view. Helen was a wonderful host. We stayed here to be close to the ferry since we were spending most of our trip on St. John.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank MedeckFamily
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Our experience was very bad. Bedroom and bathroom were dirty and full of hair everywhere from previous visitors. Towels were used and not washed and including stains (use your imagination)... TV had the screen not working properly. Lack of light in the bedroom. Lights in balcony did not work. Very poor breakfast. WIFI was not reachable from any place of the property. Helen made us feel not welcome from the beginning of our stay making us feel she is doing us A FAVOR for renting us a room. She also knocked on the door at 11:10 AM asking us to leave because check out was at 11 o'clock. Definitely, very expensive and terrible customer service!!! Choose another place to stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Fernando O
JunHelen, Manager at Two Sandals by the Sea Inn - Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

While we appreciate any constructive criticism to help improve the level of service and quality at Two Sandals, in this particular case we feel that we need to defend the blatant misrepresentations and exaggerations in this review. The television did not have any issues, we have lights inside our guest rooms, we provide fresh linens and towels to all of our guests, and this guest complained about hair in the bathroom after it was apparent that he had already used it and taken a shower.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

This was the perfect escape. I have spent quite a bit of time on Saint Thomas and this place was a needed retreat. Helen, was friendly and helpful. It was a highlight of my trip. My only regret is that I didn't stay longer.

• Stayed: February 2014