“What dreams are not made of.....”

Paradise Cove Oceanfront Villas & Suites
Ranked #8 of 21 St. Thomas B&B and Inns
Hamilton
“What dreams are not made of.....”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Where do I begin? We booked a two spot vacation last March: St. Thomas/Tortola. We wanted to try something a little different than the All Inclusive model. The reviews were always wonderful for Paradise Cove so our expectations were quite high. Two weeks before we left home, I e-mailed Paradise Cove with a few questions like specific directions to their resort because we were renting a car at the airport (another horror story to be told about Hertz Rental Agency) and it would be very dark when we arrived. I received no answer back and as you have already guessed we got lost in the dark of night. No one in the area knew where this place was located, including Hertz and when I called Paradise Cove for directions from a local restaurant, which I later realized was only a few miles away, they told me to ask the manager of the restaurant for directions. His directions were just as vague. It took two more stops at numerous local establishments before we received the right instructions. I cannot understand, since we were that close, that someone from Paradise Cove didn’t drive out to escort us in. Oh well, the beat goes on… We met the “new” manager on the job for day # 1, the other two, delightful prior managers, local ladies (Danielle and Marilyn), we had worked with in the past, had resigned. After spending a week at Paradise Cove, I think, I can understand why.
Pros:
-As everyone has stated, the Escapes cottages have a spectacular view from a large balcony.
-The local staff like Presley, Evelyn (Internet Café) and the girls who refreshed our condo once that week were outstanding, very friendly and welcoming.
-a local, gentleman, who always said he didn’t work here, he was a volunteer, helped us find some nice day beaches to frequent. I think, he helped with the Inspiration Hall that was on site and electrical repair.

Cons:
-Our Escapes condo apartment had seen better days. The double bed, it couldn’t have been a Queen size, had a dipping mattress that almost touched the floor. We had a week of very uncomfortable sleep.
-We wanted to use the pool barbecue but my husband refused because it was so dirty and there was no barbecue brush to clean it. When we asked the owner if it could be cleaned, he said it was up to the residents to clean it. My husband pointed out that it hadn’t been cleaned in some time and there were no brushes to clean it with. The proprietor relented and asked Presley, the grounds manager, to clean it. That poor kid spent “hours” cleaning that barbecue without the proper brushes. Many thanks to Presley for his kindness and diligence.
-I know it has rained non-stop in St. Thomas so bugs should be expected but many of the reviews I read did not point this out at the time. For anyone thinking of travelling here, bring bug spray and “After Bite.” At our place, I encountered three different bites: mosquitos, no seeums and spider. Keep in mind, I always get bitten on these trips but even my husband complained about the mosquito bites. The bug situation was also one of my e-mail questions that was not answered.
-As mentioned in prior posts, the kitchen supplies are limited but I didn’t realize how limited. My e-mail questions, not answered, also asked about certain supplies eg. a kettle.
-The internet had to be accessed at the Internet Café and it was spotty and very slow.
-The shower, no tub, was a modern design and very large but very little water pressure or water: not much fun when you are all lathered up and expecting water.
-The pool, which I was so looking forward to using because they do not have a beach, was always dirty with debris on the bottom.
-If you have any mobility issues, accessing the top floor or even the bottom floor of the Escapes apartments are a struggle with suitcases. Thanks again to Presley for his kind help.
As usual, my husband and I managed to have a good time because we spent most of our days away from the condo on trips. We missed the fun of meeting new people like you do in an All Inclusive setting. Everyone seemed to be in their own little cocoon and we felt the atmosphere on the island itself was not overly friendly and terse.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
St. Thomas
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I recently stayed at this charming condo which offered up a slice of heaven on earth! The check-in staff were courteous and helpful. The trolley ride to the room was wonderful as our driver swooshed us gleefully down the hill to our condo.

Once you entered the condo, the awaiting view took your breath away! The balcony epitomized the word serene and once there, you wanted to stay and allow the cool trade winds to sweep over your soul. The front desk personnel gave us a quick tour of the facility and pointed out that from the balcony you may see turtles or stingrays... the water was that crystal clear!

There is a living room area, a big kitchen with updated appliances and a comfortable bed.

I will return again and again!

Room Tip: There is a look out point and a coffee shop on the property. The pool is fully stocked with all kind...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank 1knowing1
St. Thomas
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I had my mothers 53rd Birthday here this weekend. We surprised her with an ocean front room and then later on in the evening had a mini surprise party for her in the coffee shop on the property. The view from the rooms are just gorgeous. All the rooms have views. Its quiet, peaceful and a nice quaint place. I recommended this hotel because you can make nightly, weekly, monthly and long term rentals. So check it out some time. The manger Marilyn will be happy to give you a tour she is so pleasant. The hotel also has a trial that leads you to the bottom its not to a beach but it a nice walk to an even closer water view. Just AWESOME!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Nia H
Fajardo, PR
Reviewed 2 July 2013

My wife and I and another couple stayed here for a few days. We took one of the villas and the studio adjacent to it. Now first impression was not looking good, since the the taxi that was suppossed to pick us up from the airport wasn't there. But thats island life. You got to be a little more relaxed with certain things in the islands. Actually with a lot of things. But once we got to this charming place, we fell in love with it. Then we met Thee Marilyn. The one everybody here talks about. She rocked our world. First thing she did was call that taxi man and rip him a new one. Then she hooked us up with Johnson, another taxi man. He pretty much took great care of us the whole trip. (Another Taxi guy we recomend was Salem, older gentleman.) The Villa was very nice and clean and the view was spectacular. I think we had the oppertunity to meet the owners and if so they where very pleasent. They also have a small coffee shop with pastries. Right Marilyn? And yes Marilyn did all the stuff they say here. She even took us to the Ferry one morning. So, dinner was on us. I'm pretty sure we will be back to see Marilyn and friends.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Charlie B
Marilyn B, Manager at Paradise Cove Oceanfront Villas & Suites, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
The team at Paradise Cove thank you for the wonderful experiences you and your friends had on
St, Thomas while staying with us.
Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

Overall we were pleased with the accommodations for six of us for one night before our sailing trip. The only problem was had was we didn't have sheets or pillows for the pull out sofa and didn't realize it until 11pm at night and then had to try and track someone down. Marilyn then brought us one sheet one pillow and some sort of duvet without any kind of insert. While we appreciated this, we had booked the cottages for six. Also don't count on the coffee shop being open. That being said Marilyn was very kind and drove us into town twice. The place is beautiful but like everyone else has said pretty tough to walk around if you are not in good shape. Even the steps are uneven so you have to be careful. It is a truly beautiful setting.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lori E
Marilyn B, Manager at Paradise Cove Oceanfront Villas & Suites, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Thank you for your review the team at Paradise cove greatly appreciates it. As with each guest, the reviews allow us to improve in the areas that need improvements. Making the efforts beneficial to both the guest and to Paradise Cove. Thank you so much.
Marilyn
Carrsville, Virginia
Reviewed 22 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at paradise cove in May. We stayed in the Serenity cottage. It has an absolutely spectacular view. It was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. The manager, Marilyn, is a real gem! She took us into town to the grocery store when we arrived. That was great because the taxis are RIDICULOUSLY expensive. It costs $5 per person each way to to to Red Hook which might be 1 1/2 miles. We cooked breakfast each morning and ate out on the porch. It was so peaceful. There are 2 dogs on the property that were awesome. The larger one accompanied us to our cottage every evening, so sweet. The only reason I did not rate this place as 5 stars is because the pool was green and not functioning when wer were there, and the walkway to our cottage is absolutely trecherous. They defininitely need to install more railings. If we ever go back to St Thomas to stay we would not hesitate to stay there.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Beachgirl19572013
Marilyn B, Manager at Paradise Cove Oceanfront Villas & Suites, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. The Team at Paradise Cove really appreciate you.
New York
Reviewed 4 June 2013

St. Thomas, like the rest of the Virgin islands, has an unfortunate taxi system. Drivers charge $90 for the ride to and from the airport, which can be shared among several passengers. If you don't have anyone to share with however, you are stuck with that full cost. Marilyn went out of her way to help us avoid paying that much for a taxi by driving us into town personally when we wanted to go out to get some dinner. She then drove me to the airport the next morning as well which is not a short drive. I have never stayed anywhere that had as dedicated a staff as Paradise Cove. Our room had direct access to the pool area which was pretty cool as well!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple