“Islander Taxi Service”

Ranked #161 of 232 Tours in St. Thomas
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Reviewed 9 February 2014

All the taxi services we used on St. Thomas were great, but Islander stood out.
In particular, we had the same driver twice, and she was wonderful. Her name is Radiant. She took us from Bolongo to Magen's Bay one day and another day she took us to the airport.
In general, taxi rates are standard across St. Thomas and are easy to find online. Taxi services do accommodate 1-12 passengers at a time with the open safari taxis accommodating even more.
Yes, you can book private taxis and yes, they will cost more.
All drivers have business cards with direct phone numbers to book rides when needed.

6  Thank heather p

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We had prearranged our transportation with him ... he was cheaper than any of the others for a private trip (the trip was the same amount for 2 people as it was for 4 ... we had friends with us on our return). We were late arriving in St. Thomas and he was left waiting for well over a half an hour. We apologized profusely (our plane was late). He was so nice about it and not even a little annoyed. We booked him on the way home and he arrived at 6:55 am (5 mins early!). I would not hesitate to use him again. Reliable and nice!

5  Thank notwelltravelled
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Our experience with Islander Taxi Services was what you would want and expect. We arranged for a private taxi (van) from the cruise ship to a marina area where we were going on a catamaran sailing. It wasn't cheap and I could possibly have negotiated down a tad but we were happy with the service (2 adults and 2 kids, $20 each for round trip), and you have to expect to pay more with a private transfer. Alvin met us at the ship as planned and was on time. He then drove us to the marina area ( I think it was the same place the ferry to St. John leaves from) where we met up with the Captain of the catamaran we were going on. He was there when we got back from the sailing and gave us our return trip back to the port. No complaints. Alvin is not one to talk too much either, but answered any questions we had.

5  Thank Ferrispata
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Don't pay attention to the other reviewer here who gave the low rating. If you do some quick research, you will see that on St. Thomas it is standard practice for taxis to be shared service and charged per person. If you want a private service then the rate goes way up. So the complaint they are making does not reflect on Islander.
We booked Islander for a private service for 10 people for our port day at St. Thomas (we were there for a day off a cruise ship). The rate they quoted was slightly lower than the other taxi services. Alvin was our driver (and is also the one who deals with the online requests via their webpage). He was very friendly and reliable and took us everywhere we wanted to go. The van was comfortable and reliable.
I was a bit nervous about booking with Islander since there don't seem to be many reviews for them online but we had a good experience and would certainly use them again.

6  Thank kc_concord
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Before going to St. Thomas we did a lot of research about where to go, where to stay and what to do while we were there. Tried to make a decision about renting a car or just taking taxi's every where we went. So while making our reservations to go I noticed that this company did airport transfers. Well, that to me meant they would pick me up at the airport, drop me off at my hotel, pick me up at my hotel and then drop me back at the airport. Well, that is exactly what they do evidently. However, when I tried to reserve them the cost was not clear so I emailed the company. This was their response: "Our service only does private transfers from the Airport. The price for the service you are requesting is $90.00 one way $160.00 round trip for 2 to 4 people including luggage.
Let me know if you would like to book a reservation."
So not knowing the difference between one taxi service or another, cause I'm not from there and don't know these things, I assumed that this was a normal price range for taxi services. I emailed them and told them, that I guess that would be fine. After talking with my husband about this he said for that price just check on renting a car.
That I did as well. So I reserved us a car. Well, when we got to the airport, got our luggage and got to the car rental counter, my bank stopped my credit card, cause they forgot to key it in we were out of the country. That's a whole other story...
So after all the confusion, we just asked the ladies if they would get us a taxi to the hotel. We looked around and saw that there was no one else there but us. They were kind enough to call us a taxi and somewhere in the conversation I mentioned the $160 fee to them and that is when I learned that taxi cabs are not that expensive. The ladies showed me a sign that is posted outside the terminal of the exact cost of how much a taxi was and it was like $30 plus baggage fees. Total cost was $36 when we arrived at the hotel.
I will admit that using a taxi daily to go places could lead to quite a bit of money depending on where you are going and how much you go. But to get one all you have to do is look like you want to go somewhere and a taxi is johnny on the spot. lol.
Now, when I arrived back home I emailed these folks and asked them why was their cost so much higher than a taxi. This was their response: "I told you we only do private transfers from the Airport. I hope you enjoyed your trip."
I am not sure what all is included in this private transfer, but I'm almost positive it's not an extra $90 worth. Taxi to and from the airport is not all they should have given for that cost. Especially since it's only a 20-25 minute trip from the airport to our hotel.
We did enjoy our trip and will be back to St. Thomas, but have learned a lot of valuable lessons about transportation services. There are taxis every where. They are very friendly folks and are very knowledgeable about the island. They charge the same price for everyone every time.
On a good note, these folks were very quick to respond to my emails and were very courteous when doing so. I'm sure that the vehicle that they were speaking of taking us to our hotel was a little better vehicle than some of the taxis we rode in, but most of the taxis we rode in were comfortable, air conditioned and not to many people with us. As a matter of fact the most people that were with us was 6 others and just to let you know most of the taxis are passenger vans or open air vans.

I hope this helps someone in making a wise choice.

8  Thank Thappygolucky