“Great Location but terrible room !”

Crystal Cove Villas
Sao Paulo, SP
“Great Location but terrible room !”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed at this Resort for just one night. We stayed at the B-17.

The front desk clerk was nice and friendly.

The room is terrible. It's really old with a horrible smell. The furniture is about 30 years old and the shower and taps are all rusty. The toilet seat keeps leaking. The bed is uncomfortable and the air conditioning is too noisy. The room is not value for money as we paid US$ 164 dollars a night and the feeling is that the room doesn't worth more than US$ 50 dollars a night.

The only good thing about Crystal Cove is that is right on a beautiful beach.

We don't recommend staying at this Resort.

Before staying in St. Thomas we were in Virgin Gorda for a few days and we were shocked by the difference between the two Islands. In Virgin Gorda everything is nicer even the people are friendlier and much more welcoming.

If you plan to visit the region avoid USVI at all costs. We felt like the the natives wanted to deceive us all the time to get money out of us such as in taxis etc ... Our advice is to fly to and from the BVI. As we said the beaches are infinitely more beautiful and the people are much more welcoming there. We are sure that if you stay in the BVI you will have wonderful holidays.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank San_Fior

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ct
Reviewed 16 June 2013

This was my third time in Steve and Honey's condo, and as usual it was perfect! This time though, I started and ended the stay by myself. One of my friends joined me for a few days before joining her husband in St. Martin.
Because I was going by myself, I opted not to rent a car this time, I packed some food and figured that the beach food on previous visits was very good so I would eat lunch there. This was a great decision! I took a taxi from the airport to the condo for $22.00. There was a couple in the taxi with me who were also going to SBCW and when they found out that I was staying in B-11 they said that based on all the great reviews on B-11 they had wanted to stay there but could never find a time where it was available. I told them that all the positive reviews were true and to keep trying and that this was my third time here.
The following morning on the beach, I met a woman who arranged her trip through a rental agency and said that the first unit was horrible and she complained until she was moved to a different unit. The next unit wasn't much better but at least it was cleaner. She also paid three times the rental for the week than I paid. I told her how wonderful B-11 was and she was going to contact the owners for a rental next year.
Once my friend arrived we decided to take the taxi into Red Hook for dinner. We walked to the end of the driveway and within five minutes the dollar taxi came by and for $1.00 each we got the ride into town. We were also easily able to get the taxi back to our unit by another company for $4.00 each.
I don't think I will ever rent a car again there, it was just so convenient to have someone pick us up and so much cheaper, because renting a car on St. Thomas is not cheap.
I had everything in the condo that I needed. There was shampoo, conditioner, body soap, even brand new puffs to use. There are more than enough towels and linens. The beds are exceptionally comfortable and the air conditioner works wonderfully. There are dishes and cups galore and a coffee pot with filters and also coffee.
The snorkeling equipment was vast and although I did not use it this time, last year it was in great shape and all different sizes are available. Sapphire Beach is beautiful! The water is so clear and warm. The view of St. John is terrific and the privacy of the beach is incredible. The snorkeling right off the beach is tremendous.
It tended to rain a bit on two of the days and we just had to move under the beautiful trees for cover until the rain passed by a couple of minutes later.
The beach attendant was terrific and by the second day knew exactly which type of chair I wanted and where I liked it placed. She was very friendly and sweet.
Speaking of friendly, Norma is an angel! She cleans the condo up between rentals and does a great job! She happened to be cleaning when I arrived and I was delighted that she remembered me from my visit with my husband prior to his death. She hugged me and we talked and then she told me she was going to check on me until my friend arrived. She also gave me some cleaning tips to use in my own home!
I can go on and on about how perfect this unit is and how wonderful Steve and Honey are. My advice to anyone who wants to travel to St. Thomas is to rent B-11. If the week you want is not available than change your week, you won't be sorry!

Room Tip: Do whatever you have to do to stay in B-11!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank daner1105
Pace, Florida, United States
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I stayed in B-11 for a few days in May 2012. What a nice place to stay! They really mean it when they say that all you need to pack is clothes. There were tons of towels, more pillows than you need, comfy beds, nice linens, books, games, DVD's, CD's, snorkel gear, even shampoo and conditioner. They were so accommodating with a pack and play for the baby. It was great having two bathrooms (both have showers) and a washer and dryer. The condo is very clean and so nicely decorated, but it's still beach friendly. It's RIGHT across from the pool and so close to the beach. It was nice taking the kids to the beach and then for a quick dip in the pool. The beach was so calm when we were there, it was perfect. The kids could swim without being pushed around by the waves, and it wasn't crowded at all. We went snorkeling and saw beautiful fish and sea turtles right off the beach. You can tell that the owners put a lot of thought into what will make their guests comfortable. I would definitely recommend this rental for families. I can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah G
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 6 July 2011

My wife and I stayed in Steve and Honey's condo for a several days on our honeymoon. We stayed at two other Crystal Cove condos, but B-11 was the best by far. In particular we enjoyed the quaint atmosphere; and it was clean and fully stocked. We truly enjoyed our stay and can honestly tell future guests that Sapphire Beach/Crystal Cove is the prettiest beach on St. Thomas. We had been to Magen's Bay which is supposed to be the premier National Geographic top ten beach on the island. Although it is pretty you have to pay an entrance fee and there is not much sea life around. At our condo's beach we saw turtles, a moray eel, stingrays, schools of squid, a garden of conch shells and tons of beautiful fish and coral. Another important thing I want to point out about our stay at B-11 was how close it was to the beach. It is only 50 feet or so walking distance from the beach. I would recommend this condo to anyone looking for an affordable, nice stay on St. Thomas. In fact, my own parents are strongly considering going there later this year based on our feedback.

Finally, Steve is a very kind and helpful person to talk to. We spoke on numerous occasions for long periods of time and he gave me a great deal of help, advice and information. I saved hundreds of dollars talking with him for free instead of a travel agent. My wife and I loved our stay at B-11!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 April 2011

We stayed at B-11 in Crystal Cove. The condo is about 50 steps from a beautiful, mostly secluded beach and only a mile or so from downtown Red Hook (a much better town to enjoy than Charlotte Amelie). B-11 has all the amenities you'd need for a stay; a very comfortable king bed with a kitchen, dining room and sitting area, along with two bathrooms and a washer/dryer. The complex is somewhat dated, which is the only thing preventing me from giving it a full five-star review; if you go expecting traditional "five star" accommodations, you'd be disappointed. But if you're looking for a great beach location, a wonderful condo in which to relax, and a nice, quiet time in St. Thomas, condo B-11 at Crystal Cove is perfect.

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
White Plains
Reviewed 13 December 2010

Marc and Nancy Giges have created a jewel of a vacation spot in their lovely condo in St. Thomas. The condo was very bright and airy, spacious and comfortable with an updated new kitchen. The size of the condo was great with a beautifully appointed master bedroom. Both bathrooms have also been totally updated. I particularly enjoyed reading in the newly renovated glass room area in the front with the two over- large lounge chairs facing the beach.

The view of the Caribbean from the front living room area was the most beautiful that I saw on the Island of St. Thomas. The beach just a short walk on a manicured path has an outstanding view of Tortola, St. John, and Jost Van Dyke. The water was very calm and well suited for swimming or snorkeling.

The shopping in Charlotte Amalie a cab or car ride away was quite fun with great prices on jewelry, liquor and fragrances. The restaurants I visited were casual with excellent local foods. A drive to Magens Bay for the view was worth the effort. For those seeking some adventure a day trip by charter boat was available to the Virgin Gorda baths, with snorkeling available, and an optional swim ashore to Jost Van Dyke.

For unique gifts (at Mongoose Junction) and some great restaurants a ferry trip to St. John from Red Hook (the ferries run every hour) was quite easy to get to and close to the condo.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MJS11
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 6 November 2010

My husband and I stayed in B-11 at the end of October 2010 and had a wonderful time. The condo was comfortable and clean with great access to the beach. It is decorated with create beachy colors and immediately put you on island time. The owners are easy to work with and more than accommodating and accessible via email for phone for any questions or concerns you may have.
We didn't venture too far from the condo other than a trip to St John one afternoon and shopping in town. We found the snorkeling from the beach to be fantastic with some amazing creatures and incredible under water terrain.
The fish sandwich from the Banana Hut next door is fantastic. They will walk over periodically and see if anyone wants anything.
We ate at:
Lobster Grille at Bolongo Bay (pretty good).
Glady's in town for lunch when we were there was very good and service was fantastic.
Woody's on St John great fish sandwiches
Fishtails and Molly Malones at Redhook both fairly good
We did not rent a car and probably wont on our next adventure there. We didn't really find the need to go to far on a daily basis to justify the cost of a rental or the adventures of driving on the wrong side of the road. We will leave that to the locals. The Taxi system is interesting to say the least. The Safari Buses that you see and hear about is best to be described as creative pricing. They are not part of the govt regulated system from what I understand although they will enforce the same cost. We rode into town on one and did it for $2 each. BUT a 1 mile trip to Redhook cost us $5 each several times. So it is sort of pot luck on what you will pay so make sure you have the cash. The taxi Vans are the regulated ones and are air conditioned and if you are going to pay the same price it is almost worth calling for one of them which takes them 5 minutes to arrive.

I highly recommend B-11 for your stay. Its very well equiped with any kitchen tool you will want or need, more towels than any hotel could provide, washer/dryer, DVD's, huge tv and the pay it forward of unused items is really nice and in tight times of the economy and travel regs it just makes sense. We had never been to stay on the island before but did plenty of research and the positive reviews with ease of getting questions answered from Steve made it an easy decision. If you are on the hedge of making the decision of where to stay you cant go wrong with this condo! Thanks for everything Steve!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple