“Perfect Day on the Water”
Review of Catania Charters

Catania Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in Essex, England in 1938, of select Burmese teak, English oak and bronze, Catania was designed in the nautical style of the day... long and lean. Exceptional English shipwrights constructed her with awesome attention to detail. Details such as dovetail joints and hand lathed bronze screws that you do not see in modern boats. She is uniquely one of a kind and is a "Yacht" in the truest sense of the word. She is graceful, elegant and swift, and her extraordinary lines belie her length of 40 feet. In 2010 Catania began a complete overhaul under the watchful eye of Ocean Petersen. With her restoration complete, she is ready to sail on a moments notice. As stunning as ever, with nostalgic lines, beautiful teak cockpit and accents, Catania is the definition of classic elegance. Anchored in the clear waters of St. Thomas in the US Virgin Islands, she is available to charter for up to six guests. Treat yourself to an unforgettable sail aboard the Classic Wooden Yacht Catania.
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I have lived in St. Thomas for 12 years and can honestly say that our day on Catania yesterday was well up on my top ten list of great days on the water. Capt. Ocean and Ray are fountains of of information on everything from the geological history to reef recommendations to pirate stories, but most of all the history of this wonderful yacht. It actually feels like a gift and an honor to be able to sail on her. We were pampered, looked after, filled with stories, food and drink and arrived back at the dock with huge smiles on our faces and warmth in our hearts. This should not be missed!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

My sister read about The Catania and Captain Ocean and we just knew this was going to be something special and it did not disappoint! The champagne upon arriving at the boat was a great touch! Then the sailing which was about the most relaxing thing in the world! My traveling buddies and I enjoyed all of the amenities including lovely drinks, good lunch and more lovely drinks! Captain "O" and Ray were so attentive (which was more than special to me) and oh, so knowledgeable about the islands--it was a history lesson in itself! They were wonderful! We laughed, we looked at the amazing shoreline, and we just had a marvelous day listening to the stories "the boys" told! If you enjoy excellent craftsmanship, this boat is for you! She is absolutely beautiful and rich in history which made the day all that more special! We came away from the day knowing it will be a memory etched in our minds forever!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I don't have enough words to describe our perfect day charter with Capt. Ocean and his crew, Ray. The history of the boat and how it is entwined with Capt. Ocean's life is truly remarkable. He and Ray are extremely knowledgeable about the history of the islands and filled our day with such rich descriptions and stories that the time just flew by. From the champagne we were served upon boarding the yacht to lunch grilled right on the stern to "the pirate cookies" provided in the afternoon, Capt. Ocean and Ray made sure we did what we wanted and that the day was "ours". All we were required to do was sit back and enjoy. What a wonderful memory to add to our island stay.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

First, I must tell you that having had two knee replacements I was skeptical about being able to get into a dingy from the dock, then transfer to the ship. Captain Ocean and Ray were most attentive to my issues and made the transfers seamless. The history of the boat and the stories Captain Ocean told kept us enthralled the entire day. Ray is extremely knowledgeable about the islands and the history surrounding their evolution and you could almost see them as they were years ago. They made sure the day was "our day", doing what we wanted to do and never pushed us to do anything except sit back and enjoy. It was a wonderful adventure and helped to make our week the perfect vacation.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have delayed in writing this review for far too long! I booked with Catania at the recommendation of another excursion operator who was already booked the day of my request. Catania did NOT disappoint, and I can't wait to return to St. Thomas to sail again with Ocean and his crew. My husband and I were the only guests during our October 2013 trip which was an absolute treat! The boat was beautiful. The water was spectacular. The crew was so attentive, and the painkiller drink (non-alcoholic for me) was to die for. I think I drank a whole pitcher of those by myself! We were never without beverages and Ocean was never without a story. We loved hearing about his travels and the rich tales of the area. Our lunch of bbq chicken was grilled right on the boat, while we snorkeled with a crew member, Christian. Christian, a young man originally from Michigan (if I recall correctly) was full of his own stories and follies too. We made two snorkel stops, both off of St. Johns. I have snorkeled in Aruba and Honduras and this was my favorite snorkel trip so far. The water was crystal clear, and the provided snorkel gear never malfunctioned. I had no problems communicating with Ocean via e-mail and we had no problem getting a ride to the bay from our cruise ship. We can't wait to get back to St. Thomas to sail again!!