“Terrible Management, Arrogance at its Best”

Grande Cru Restaurant and Wine Bar
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Featuring contemporary culinary delights from around the world with modern imaginings of New World cuisine, an award-winning Martini bar several years running, a vast wine selection, and superior, elegant service, Grande Cru prides itself on providing and unforgettable experience to locals and tourists alike. Voted "Best Martini Bar" eight years running by the Daily News "Best of VI" poll, Grande Cru has also been awarded a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for 5 consecutive years. Grande Cru is a can't-miss dining experience in the elite mega yacht marina of Yacht Haven Grande.
Reviewed 6 June 2009

Long story short, I went here with my wife and we had a terrible experience right at the start to the finish. I use to manage guests (The Fords, Janet Jackson, Australian Prime Minister, etc., etc.) at the Famous Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, California, I also managed a restaurant in Ogunquit Maine and always put the guest first at ALL COSTS.

1) Entered restaurant and immediately were given the worst seats in the place, asked to be reseated and was told we "can't be", (I was like, umm ok) three tables near the ocean view section were not used and not offered.

2) Menu was dirty, portions of the menu missing due to water spots and could not read.

3) Misspellings on menu, at this point asked for the manager as so many things had gone wrong, when I mentioned the part about the misspellings she (The Owner came to our table) looked at me like she was going to hit me and then said nothing and basically then left. For the owner to act so unprofessional is a terrible waste.

4) Waitress was pretty much ignorant to say the least to the whole atmosphere of it all in general.

Just a terrible experience and terrible customer treatment, not to mention very shotty menus and approach to guests on such a beautiful spot, what a waste of an establishment. TAKE CAUTION!

Terrible.... We left this place in a hurry...

We went to the "Fat Turtle" next door just to the right (1 minute walk), amazing service, amazing locationa dn view and guest treatment better then any other place we have been in this entire area, what a save!

1  Thank Euro-Advisor

Reviewed 25 April 2009

We thoroughly enjoyed the "tapas style" dining at Grand Cru. The cheeses were excellent, the tarts were over the top (the fig & gorgonzola was especially good), we also ordered some of the specials and the bread basket - all delicious. Wine selection was nice. The view is really beautiful, you get the beautiful blue green water along with some of the most spectacular yachts I've ever seen. Lovely and romantic.

2  Thank LittleChihuahuas
Reviewed 15 April 2009

Well, the good news is, the elegant waterfront venue has been wrested from the grips of Yacht Haven Grande corporate, and placed in the hands of a private chef. The bad news is, very little has changed.

Oh the prices are up considerably, and the bar liquor they serve is the cheaper brands, but otherwise, it remains the same over-priced, poorly managed, and economically speaking, out-of-style restaurant you find all over the island.

Six of us had Easter Brunch at Grand Cru: $45 USD per person with what the newspaper advertisement promised was a complimentary breakfast cocktail.

I must say, here, that I enjoyed my starter, some mesclun with pears and bleu cheese, and my entree, a spiced and seared fresh tuna Salad Nicoise. Both were presented nicely with crisp and fresh ingredients. I did not eat dessert.

But, I must also say that my enjoyment of the experience ended there.

Upon arrival, we were shown to a corner table, one side of which was edged up against a tarp covering some kind of equipment. The entire time we were there, only one other couple was seated outside, so the airy tables with nice views went unused.

While perusing the beautiful, specially printed Easter Brunch Menu, we noticed the heretofore "Complimentary" cocktails now reading $8 for a Domaine St. Michelle Mimosa, and $6 (six dollars - the bottle doesn't even cost that on St. Thomas) Smirnoff Bloody Marys.

All the ladies in my party complained and the server told us it was a misprint in the newspaper, not on the menu. We had a good laugh from that. But after we had ordered wine and other drinks, the manager showed up with three (3) cheap Mimosas FOR THE LADIES, as if the men in our party didn't exist. The six of us were insulted. Without more narrative I'll list the complaints that I made to the manager as we left. If he reads this he'll know it was real.
Complaints:
Between the service of bevrages and the service of starters, we were left to sit at a bare white-clothed table, No Amuse Bouche, you know, a little something extra for Easter. No bread either. When I asked, I was told we had to buy it.
The asparagus on the beautiful menu became green beans on the crab and tomato stack. The " brioche" on the menu, served with a lobster salad was grilled and tough focaccia. And the lamb........

My girlfriend ordered the lamb, and asked me to taste it. It seemed to be injected with a saline solution, and, while it appeared rare, the meat was dry and tasteless as if it had been left in a switched off oven to come to temperature. Under it was a tasteless demi-glace and the only other thing on the plate was a small duchess of potatoes. I immediately began spooning my Nicoise onto her plate. She likes green.

Her second bite of lamb found here struggling with something in her mouth which turned out to be a 3/4" piece of cook's twine, a knot at that. The management gave her half off.

Adam, the waiter, pretty much took all this in stride and, at the end of the experience tried to refuse the mandatory 18% gratuity. We would not hear of it.

Reviewed 23 January 2009

Grand Cru now under new management and was great. The setting is beautiful, wait staff attentive and knowledgeable, food and drinks very good, inventive small plates that are also reasonably priced. We move this one to the top of our list in St. Thomas!

2  Thank McMary
Reviewed 10 December 2008

Seriously, we ate at the bar...we had an excellent meal, great drinks, great service.

I would highly recommend the chicken dish with couscous (I think). The martinis are yummy, esp the ones with cucumber infused vodka.

Views are great, decor is great....I highly recommend this place.