“Our 40th Anniversary”

GreenLeadersGold level
Peru, Illinois
“Our 40th Anniversary”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

For our special occasion we were very disenchanted by this Marriott 's 48 million dollar renovation. The premisses were beautiful, but that is where it ended. Apparently Apple Vacations that I booked the trip through did not tell them it was for our 40th Anniv. There was nothing shown that they over-excelled & told us they were not aware of it. We were in charge of transporting our luggage to & from our room. When asked to have a different room upon checking in as the view was anything but appealing... viewing the valet parking & entrance to hotel. They said that was the room in which we were assigned & there was absolutely nothing they could do to change it, but adding they would see what they could do by giving us a different room after a couple of days. We never were thought about after that & when we checked about it a couple days later said there was nothing they could/would do about it. Staff was not friendly &/or very accommodating at all. They did what they had to, to get by each day. We had to request bath towels, wash cloths, toilet paper, & other room amenities each repeatedly on separate days. After a power outage an evening or 2 A/C would run constantly.
This Marriott property is divided into three areas - The Cove (timeshares), The Reef (main hotel) where we stayed 7 nites & the Morning Star Inn (a series of small buildings with it's own beach, pool & 2 restaurants; 1 of which is not included in AI; which was fine w/us because we heard throughout our stay from various other guests it was terrible dining). Not until we returned home did we find out there were shuttles that run between the Reef & the Morning Star throughout the day/evening. We always walked the 97 plus steps, & area back & forth everyday. Breakfast buffet each AM (Reef) was very good. Dinner reservations were required each evening at the Sunset Grill(Reef); service/food was ok. Ate at Coco Joe's (Morning Star Inn) a few evenings, no reservations needed, service/ food was better there. For a small fee a boat shuttle/taxi takes you to the town of Charlotte Amalie, shops/restaurants. Suggestion as we did: Time your trip for a day to town when ships are not scheduled to come into port, thus less people in shopping areas. Expect to travel by taxi or rental car if you plan to explore at all. We took an excursion (booked through Adventure Tours, located in lobby of hotel. They were very accommodating, & very well worth the $$) to St. John, USVI. Having taken a short taxi ride we enjoyed an awesome dinner at Mim's Seafood Bistro...highly recommended... w/90% seafood served caught in the area... ... fantastic & delicious /less expensive than at resort.

Room Tip: Good luck, you get what you are assigned & no changes...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nancy G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,582)
Grand Island, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Amazing family vacation! We will be back! We're a family of four and spent a week here. We loved every minute of it! We stayed in a deluxe water view at Frenchman's Reef. Not sure how morningstar or the Sea Cliff balcony are but this room was very large and accomodating. MoriningStar is right on the beach and Sea Cliff is in the middle of Morning Star and Frenchmans Reef. Its a long jaunt down to the beach from where we are but its worth it. If you plan on being on the beach every day go to Morning Star. If you are going to explore, the main hotel has a lot of amenities for you.

There were a lot of complaints about the hotel on this website before we left. I was a little concerned but we had an amazing time. The service was amazing. You have to understand that the culture of the island is slow. You can't get them to move faster, just chill out and go with the flow. I'm sort of a hotel snob. I felt like the rooms are more category 4 even remodeled but they are designed to fit with the environment. Its tropical paradise and there is a lot of sand! The location is more like a category 10 so I guess I agree with the category 7 rating. Everyone is really accomodating and friendly. You'll spend a lot of money at the restaurants but thats to be expected at any great resort. The resort fees cover all the things that typically you have to pay extra for like Kayaks, snorkeling gear, floaties etc. The Mai Tai drinks are heavenly! The Marriott Vacation Club people remind me of the kiosk people at the mall, they get annoying but just ignore them unless you want a timeshare. They are not part of Marriott but they license the name. I was really bummed out because the kids club was closed the whole week we were there. We have used Ritz Kids before and its incredible. They were doing some remodeling or something. We spent well over $1000 on food the week we were there but I got the rooms with my reward points so it wasn't too bad. Just budget accordingly. Its hard for a family of four to leave without spending $65-$120 per meal.

Rent a car, you'll get used to driving on the left. There are some great restaurants in red hook and you absolutely have to go to Magen's Bay. No waves, best beaches in the world by Conde Nast and Nat Geo. Plus with the car you can go to Kmart and buy pop and snacks and save a ton!

The pools are all amazing and open 24 hours. We were really surprised that the sun set at like 7pm. You want to plan on getting up early and going to bed early to get all the sun you can. It's hot and you will burn so wear sunscreen regardless of how tan you think you already are. You're going to burn and be miserable without sunscreen.

Room Tip: Everything was excellent. We had to cancel the spa because my wife got a sunburn but they were grea...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Matthew S
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Thank you for the excellent 5-star rating and enthusiastic recommendations! I am so glad to hear your family enjoyed every minute of your stay. The many travel tips you shared such as sunscreen and day planning are excellent. Our concierge staff and Lobby Ambassador Roberta are also on hand to give on-site and island recommendations and suggestions. Thank you again for the generous review and we look forward to hosting your family again!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We stayed at the Frenchman's Reef in the tower under (the now discontinued) all-inclusive plan. The first room we checked into had a poor view and the fridge was making a loud squealing sound. My husband went down to the front desk and explained we were on our honeymoon and weren't thrilled with the original room. They offered us several options to remedy the situation and we chose the same room on a higher floor. Later in the week we were sent a bottle of wine and ice cream from the front desk congratulating us on our wedding. The hotel has recently gone through a large renovation, and the rooms had been updated but the majority of the renovation had been on the pool areas. The pools were gorgeous infinity pools with amazing views. One of the bars also has an amazing view of Charlotte Amalie. The adventures desk inside the hotel was extremely convenient, to book tours etc. Overall we would recommend the hotel to our friends and would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SarahVM
Thank you for celebrating your new life together at Frenchman’s Reef and letting us know we hit the mark for your visit! We appreciate your recommendation to friends and family!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Concierge was great and the views from anywhere were awesome. I selected this hotel because it was renovated, for the price charged it seemed beat up and overall in a generaly poor maintenance condition.

Room had cracked broken floor tiles, a/c unit cover comming off of wall and we could see outside, door sensors falling off/hanging lose on patio door that would shut down a/c, mold in the shower, bathroom lights that would intermitently go dim, room 3114. Two days in a row I had to call and request for the room to be cleaned, both times it was after 4 pm. Main dining room windows had cob webs blocking the vieiw, they seat you for a great view but it is disgusting. (Please clean them for the next guests). One balcony by the main pool to the right of the main steps was full of trash looking like it was not cleaned in a year.

I also selected this resort because of the multiple resturants, when we arrived at 8 pm on a Thursday night even though the resturant hours stated they were open, they were closed. The only one open was Coco Joes and it was a $59 per person buffet only. I could not order something simple off the menu. The buffet food was half cold and the lobsters were mushy, I promply drank a beer paid and left.

My first morning I went to the beach, no beach towels on the beach or at the beach pool, after asking and waiting a half hour, I had to walk up many steps to get to the main pool (long walk with lots of stairs) many other guests had the same problem. I attempted to use the Ocean Front pool for the first time on my last afternoon to cool off after a day of shopping only to find it closed for a private party. I then took the long walk to the main pool to find it very crowded. Bar service was slow at this pool my entire 5 day stay.

I requested late check out upon check in, the hotel could not confirm or would not offer me a price as an upcharge as I was willing to pay. They asked me to keep checking in. I did this for several days only to find out on my last morning that I could check out an hour late at noon. I had a 5:30 flight.

I travel extensively for work and was looking for a nice place with good service to relax at, maybe I was expecting too much for $350 plus per night for a basic room? I am a Hyatt Diamond member, now I know why I dont go to Marriotts. If this resort was priced at $150 per night it would be OK, not for the premium price paid.

Staff was very friendly. If hotel managment reads this at least they know to clean the windows and which room to fix/inspect as my complaints can all be validated.

3 Thank bryanknie
Thank you for giving us a direction in which to improve our product and services. We appreciate your feedback and the compliments on our concierge staff and views!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We are well traveled Marriott Platinum Members. We stayed at the Morning Star Beach section of the resort and paid extra for a beachview room. This was a very special birthday trip that the hotel was notified twice of in advance of our arrival.

Pros
Gorgeous views of the Carribean
Private patio overlooking water
We enjoyed seeing cruise ships pass by
Beautiful beach area with lots of chairs and umbrellas
Tennis courts available on site
Pool area at connecting Marriott property on cliff was nice.

Cons
Multiple customer service issues that caused stress during trip our trip that was to be relaxing

Safe malfunctioned in our room. Took hours (over 2 days) to fix resulting in us missing a trip to British VI since passports were locked up.

Was not billed the correct amt quoted by Marriott.com reservation system. Ex: Be cautious if your reservation includes a food/bev credit. We did not receive this on the bill. Still trying to get resolved. Will most likely turn over to Amex so they can handle.

Sprawling resort that needs some TLC in quite a few areas. (broken hot tub in lower pool area, green scum floating in pool, outdoor eating areas needing some love)

Room 5222 was tired looking. Frayed bed skirt. Dirty bathroom mirror on arrival. Not at all what we expected considering our extra steps of contacting them twice for a special room. Beautiful location but not luxury by any stretch. Sadly, too many service issues (taking too much time to resolve) for us to return.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. On behalf of our team, please accept my apologies for causing stress for you during such a special time. If I can be of service, please contact me at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com. I would welcome the opportunity to hear more about your experience and issues in detail when we are in direct contact. On a positive note, we appreciate you pointing out the many ‘pros’ as well sharing your mishaps. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We stayed just two short nights, a treat to ourselves, and it was a treat!! I understand that they had recently undergone $45million in renovations and it showed. Clean. Pristine. Beautiful. Friendly staff - especially down by the gorgeous beach and sparkling pools! There always seemed to be a genuine smile wherever we turned. The food was delicious - we sampled most of the restaurants - and of course the rum flowed freely - from the free reception punch to the generous pours at the cash bars. It was a wonderful stay and we would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Great weekend getaway! Thank you for the eloquent review and whole-hearted recommendations!
Albion, N
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My husband, young son and I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Resort in St. Thomas USVI. First and foremost, the person who took care of us went above and beyond. Lissa Cuffy not only made us feel right at home, she took care of every detail, including making sure we had a gorgeous ocean view room. We arrived expecting a room with two double beds. When this request couldn't be met (without losing our fantastic room), Lissa made sure we had a rollaway bed sent to the room. She also helped us with a room when our older son and his wife arrived a day later. She kept us all in the same building and they were also given a lovely room. The maid service was terrific as well. Our room was kept clean and fresh every day. The maids were sweet and very accomodating. We arrived on a Saturday and stayed until Wednesday. Our older son was married on Sapphire Beach on Tuesday. Thank you again Frenchman's Reef. We will be back, just my husband and I, soon!

Room Tip: An ocean view room is a little more expensive, but it is worth the money. These rooms have balconie...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience at Frenchman’s Reef. We appreciate you letting us know the details of excellent service that Lissa provided your family! We will be sure to recognize her and our housekeeping staff. We’re thrilled that every detail was met and your room was tidy and fresh each day! Congratulations to the married couple and I am sure your wedding photos will be gorgeous! Thank you again for the wonderful review and it would be our pleasure to have you and your husband stay again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
#1 of 5 in East End
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
#1 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!