“Adjust to 'island time' and you'll be fine!”

Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Adjust to 'island time' and you'll be fine!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

We had a wonderful family vacation. Just come with the expectation that things move on 'island time' and everything is expensive, and you'll be just fine. After a couple of days, we discovered the rum buckets at the pool bar that made for much more affordable drinks. Chamika A. at the beach hut was the nicest and most helpful person we encountered. She gave us great advice that really helped make our vacation. Thank you!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Thank you for your tips and for alerting us to the exceptional service attitude of Chamika!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,554)
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

There were 5 women and we had a wonderful time! The hotel and staff were very friendly and accommodating. As for the hotel ~ beautiful! Just like pictures show on the website. The views are breathtaking! We also went on "The Cat" for both the turtle snorkel trip and the dinner cruise. So glad we chose to do both! The turtle experience was amazing and the dinner cruise was so relaxing, and don't even get me started on the great dinner! Yummm! Can't wait to go back with my husband! The girl trip was fun, but it is such a romantic place to go with your significant other :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Car-Depot
Thank you for your recommendation for “The Cat” trips and for Frenchman’s Reef. We agree; St. Thomas is incredibly romantic!
Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

We took a short trip this past week to USVI, St. Thomas and stayed at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef. Literally, from the time we walked onto the property we felt right at home. Each staff member was considerate of our needs and so welcoming! In particular, there was an amazing resort supervisor which we met our first night at an onsite restaurant. Her name is Jah-i-dah. This is the type of person you want to meet during your first night of vacation. She was so warm and inviting. She took time out of her busy schedule to get to know us and to take interest in our vacation. I as not sure at first what her job title consisted of but I knew she was doing it right. Despite that, I knew she was genuinely interested in meeting us and cared that we had a great time while we were visiting. She set the bar high for the rest of our stay at the Marriott and we were not disappointed. As far as the scenic aspect of the resort it was very nice. I had not stayed at any other resort in St. Thomas but I had visited the island once before. I had an idea of what to expect in a resort located on the island and I was pleasantly surprised that this resort far exceeded my ideas. Every view of the island from the resort was amazing. The grounds were kept spotless including the pools, private beach, restaurants, and bars. The wait staff at each of these locations were always kind and accommodating. The food at all of the onsite locations was great and I even discovered some food items to be more tasty than my favorites back home. We booked an all inclusive deal and it was so worth it. The prices on food and drinks were crazy expensive onsite. Anticipating that we would eat and drink mostly onsite saved money by going all inclusive. All in all, the Marriott Frenchman's Reef set the foundation for a great trip to USVI, St. Thomas and we would stay at this resort again if we found ourselves vacationing in St. Thomas.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Towers and had a balcony view of the beach...awesome!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lulu2332
Thank you for your kind compliments of our resort, cuisine and staff. I am very pleased by your comment that Jah-I-dah was “warm and inviting” and she will be recognized for her excellence in guest service. Overall, it sounds like we exceeded your expectations and I do certainly hope that another vacation brings you back to the islands!
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

My husband and I were at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef the end of June/beginning of July. We choose this resort to spend his and my birthday. I must begin with the point that will endear the Marriott Frenchman's Reef to me and is the reason I hope to return. On our second day at the resort my brother died and we needed to leave earlier than planned. The staff, especially Patricia at the front desk and Joyce Griffin were extremely helpful. They were extremely compassionate. And they helped make a very difficult time more bearable by assisting us in whatever capacity we needed. I will be eternally grateful to them!! The resort is beautiful!!! The photos we saw prior to arrival were actually representative of the resort--how often does that happen??!!. We were greeted by very friendly and helpful staff. Our room was very clean and our service was very good. The Marriott standard was well maintained. The meals we had at the resort were good but pricey. However, the servings are huge so two could eat basically for the price of one. The only negative point for our room was the water pressure in the basin was low. The shower was fine though. Also, we booked a snorkeling tour at the excursions desk. The staff was very helpful in assisting you to choose an activity for your needs. Downside, I told them that I didn't swim and asked if it would really be safe to snorkel. They assured me I would be fine--that the life vest would be adequate and I would float. Not a good idea for nonswimmers no matter how many times they say it's ok. Silly of me I'm sure but I thought I would float as easily as they made it sound. It didn't work out as well--LOL!. The crew on the catamaran was great though--they saved the day!! We also had the couples massage. Great!! Overall, the resort experience was really good.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Flora J
Thank you for sharing with us. Again, I am sorry for your loss. Although your trip was shortened, we hope that you will have a chance to return for another birthday celebration. Please feel free to contact me through the resort if there is ever anything I can be of assistance with.
Oskaloosa, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

My wife and I were at Marriott Frenchman's Reef the second week of June. We were using Marriott points for our stay so we figured we would live with the negatives we read from other reviewers. We were pleasantly suppriesed. When we arrived we were checked in right away and our room was fantastic. It appeared to have been recently remodeled and our view of Charlotte Amalie harbor was absolutely perfect. The only negative we had regarding the entire stay was our first meal at the beachside restaurant. We almost had to tackle a waitress to get someone to wait on us and the same was true when we were ready to pay the bill. The parking is also a bit of a pain. The parking garage gets very full at night and you might have to walk a bit to get to your room. We also had a fantastic late night drink and dessert at Blue Havanna. Overall I would recomend this property to anyone who asks. FYI I would recomend getting a car to anyone who really wants to visit the Virgin Islands. We took the car ferry to St John one day and explored 7 beaches on St Thomas. The driving is a bit crazy but all part of the experience. Favorite beaches, Coki, Saphire, Secret Harbor. If you dive do a beach dive on Coki, Rick and the gang at Coki Beach Dive Club are great and do at least one boat trip with Red Hook Dive Center, had a great time with both.

Room Tip: We were down in the very booring looking buildings near Frenchmans Cove. Booring on the outside, gr...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank HGBPOPOP
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Thank you for letting us know that our resort exceeded your expectations! Sounds like you and your wife had a wonderful week on the islands. We greatly appreciate your choice of Frenchman’s Reef as your St. Thomas home base and hope you will choose us again on your next visit!
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

Just recently returned and had to post our first review ever on this website. I will try to be as short yet thorough as possible. We went for our honeymoon and chose Frenchman's because it was rated higher than Sugarbay but was much less expensive than the Ritz Carlton. Overall the resort is nice (I mean you're in the USVI for goodness sake!). But it lacks things that even 3 star hotels have in the US. It's the small things that they miss at Frenchman's, the resort itself has everything you need, but they miss on service, cleanliness, and a sense of urgency when trying to correct things. First off the pools and their views are amazing!! We stayed at the Morningstar and even though they knew we were on our honeymoon they gave us a gardenview room on the first floor ( I asked for an upgrade and failed to get one without paying $50/night). Warning about the Morningstar, you can hear every single thing that your two nieghboors to the sides and on top of your are doing no matter waht time of day or night. We woke up numerous times due to doors closing. In our room, there were paint splatters on the bathroom door, fridge was loud as can be, and the sand would never come up off the rug. Again, its the little things they miss on. Food was good everytime we ate on site, I would pass on the lobster buffet at Coco Jo's though. All of the lobster we ate were dry and way over cooked, not what I would consider good value at $59/pp. If we could do it again we would stay up at the main motel. Here are some good and bad things in our opinion:

Good: Location (close to town)
ambiance
nice pools
nice spa
great food
views

Bad: Noisy rooms at Morningstar
Bars close at 10:00 pm and dont open until 11:00 am
Beach has waves and can be rough
Dirty rooms
Housekeeping makes a lot of noise starting at 8 am.
Cabs are miminum of $6 pp everytime you leave resort, we spent $320 over 7 days (not expected).
No special treatment for Honeymooners (not even a coffee), we spent $3k at this place.

Room Tip: Only stay in second or third floor rooms facing the Ocean if choosing Morningstar. Harbor view is g...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Tracy S
Thank you for your review and suggested direction for improvements. Although it does sound like some aspects of your stay were enjoyable, not all were. Our staff makes every effort to celebrate the many special occasions our guests visit this islands for, but in your case it seems we failed. For that, I apologize. On a positive note, thank you for the compliments on our pools, spa and restaurants. Please feel free to contact me through the hotel if I can be of further assistance to you in the future. Thank you again for staying with us.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

We just returned from an amazing stay at Marriott Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star Resort! Like many others, I was nervous about our stay after reading the negative reviews on TripAdvisor. However, we did not have a single bad experience! It seems like the negative reviews are from people who look for things to complain about while on vacation. If you are going on vacation to the Caribbean, you need to understand that prices will be expensive. However, the service was not all that different from restaurants in the U.S. Remember to relax! You’re on island time!

While others had complained about the check-in process, we were able to check in quickly (even upgraded to a better room!) while we enjoyed complementary rum punches! There are two hotels that are a part of this resort: Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star. Morning Star is made up of several three-story buildings that are located just steps from the beach. Frenchman’s Reef is made up of two buildings: Sea Cliff tower (built into the side of a cliff with views of Morning Star beach) and the main building (views of the swimming pools and Charlotte Amalie harbor). We stayed in the Sea Cliff tower. The Sea Cliff tower was the best option for us. It offered amazing views of the beach (you could still hear the waves crashing on the shore!) with the privacy of a balcony (not too close to the beach or pools where it could be noisy with people passing by).

We ate a Havana Blue (restaurant at Morning Star) for dinner. It was expensive but definitely worth it! The food, service, and views were incredible!! We also ate at several restaurants on the island: Caribbean Fish Market, Pesce and Mim’s Seaside Bistro. We can’t complain about a single dinner!

We loved Coco Joe’s (restaurant right on the beach) for breakfast and lunch! It offers eggs, pancakes, french toast, etc. for breakfast and a variety of salads, sandwiches and burgers for lunch. We did not eat there for dinner because we felt it was too casual for dinner. However, it has a bar, which is perfect for ordering a frozen drink when the sun gets too hot!

We ate at Sunset Grill (outdoor restaurant with views of Charlotte Amalie harbor) for lunch. They offer food similar to that of CoCo Joe’s – salads, sandwiches, burgers etc. We ate at Aqua Terra (indoor restaurant with views of Charlotte Amalie harbor) for breakfast. They have a buffet (with an omelet station) as well as a full menu.

The hotel has a resort fee ($30 per day) that includes the use of snorkel gear, kayaks, floats, etc. We loved using the floats in the ocean! The pools were incredible. With a view of the ocean from every pool, we couldn't get enough of relaxing by the pool with a drink in our hand! We also rented jet skis from the stand on the beach. I highly recommend it! It is a “guided tour” where you follow someone on a jet ski. He took us to this incredible cove where sea turtles were swimming! Truly a highlight of our vacation!

This hotel is the perfect place to relax and enjoy yourself! It is great for couples as well as families. However, it is important to note that there is not a lot of night life at the hotel – you’ll want to go into Red Hook or another town on the island if you are looking to party all night! Finally, many people have noted that it would be cheaper to rent a car. With winding roads, fast speeds, no street lights, unfamiliar locations, and driving on the left side of the road… we felt much safer using taxis! The taxis do not use meters. Instead, it is $8-$12 per person depending on the distance. At the end of the day, it probably works out to be the same as renting a car anyway!

Overall, we LOVED our vacation at Marriott Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star Resort! With incredible views, warm weather, friendly service and many memories… we can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
13 Thank KKP5010
Excellent review! Thank you for giving such detailed recommendations of our restaurants. It sounds like you had some great meals and made some smart choices for your visit to St. Thomas. We look forward to hosting you for another incredible vacation!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,187 reviews

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!