I suspect for the price some reviewers are expecting a luxury hotel. What you pay for here is the location. The views are lovely, the water is swimmable and the sand is soft.
It's a 20-30 minute ride from the airport. The lobby features a lot of stone and dark wood which makes it a bit gloomy.
The grounds are sprawling and feature hills and stairs to get around. We had no issues with walking the distances to the beaches, in fact a disappointment was the lack of walking opportunity in general. The beach isn't long enough for a long walk and there is no walking off site on the narrow shoulderless roads.
Our room was in the Sea Cliff wing facing the ocean and overlooking the tennis courts. The smallish deck featured two decent chairs and a table accessed by a somewhat intrusive glass door. The room was standard issue Marriott with a very cozy bathroom. The bed was made up in fresh, white linens and was extremely clean and well made up even if the room was a bit worn. The beaches feature lots of chaises and umbrellas which get claimed quite early in the day. All the staff members we encountered were helpful and friendly perhaps more reactively than proactively but fine all the same. Many reviews have complained about the food- yes it is typically expensive resort food. The food at the Sunset Grill was decent- the catch of the day was not gourmet but well prepared. The salads and fish tacos were also good. The sundrie store has a deli with more affordable options and some outside tables as well.
This hotel is great for beach and poolside activities if that's what you are after which is what this location is all about.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded on three sides by stunning Caribbean ocean views, Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort combines modern luxury and the unique Virgin Island style of St. Thomas. Our US Virgin Islands hotel in St. Thomas features clean, crisp large guest rooms with flat screen 50" TVs. Experience new resort features including an infinity pool, children's splash zone, adult infinity pool with bar; and private spa pool. Our Lazule Sea Spa is now open featuring extensive treatment rooms, salon, state of the art fitness center, and private spa pool with cabanas. Aqua Terra is one of three restaurants at Frenchman's Reef which features spectacular views of the Charlotte Amalie harbor. Our mission is to host you brilliantly... To make your every event and stay with us unforgettable and effortless. Come visit us at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort and discover the most luxurious vacation destination in the US Virgin Islands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Kognitiv US Corp, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Frenchman`s Reef & Morning Star Beach Hotel Charlotte Amalie
- Marriott Frenchman`s Reef And Morning Star Beach Resort
- Marriott Charlotte Amalie
- Charlotte Amalie Marriott
- Marriott Frenchmans Reef
- Frenchmans Reef St Thomas
- Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort St. Thomas/Charlotte Amalie