“Beautiful location, but needs more upkeep”

Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Peoria, Illinois
“Beautiful location, but needs more upkeep”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This hotel has a gorgeous location. Also great for watching the ships enter / exit the port.

We stayed in the Seacliff tower. Room was fine for the most part (tub drained extremely slow), but nothing special - other than we really enjoyed the balcony. Hallways and other public areas seem to have seen quite a bit of abuse - lots of dents, scratches, etc. Also, we called the front desk on the first day about the slow drain - but was not addressed during our week stay. Also, we ran out of toilet paper twice during the week. The normal housekeeping staff did not seem to have access to this basic necessity, as we asked.

The Sunset grill and infinity pool area are wonderful. Breakfast staff were quite nice. Reception area very understaffed though.

Yes, the food is expensive - but not out of line with what we experienced elsewhere on the island.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Thank you for sharing your compliments and important feedback. I apologize for any inconvenience your drain and housekeeping issue caused. We would like to investigate this thoroughly. Can you please send me an email to sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com so that our leadership team can be in direct contact with you? I would welcome any additional details you are willing to share regarding your room experience as well. I am thankful that your overall stay was not impacted and you enjoyed the Sunset Grill, infinity pools and service staff. I look forward to hearing from you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,569)
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed on the 2nd floor with a great view BUT I have had better rooms in New Jersey when traveling on business. Personally I thought the room furniture was worn and not up to date especially after visiting 2 years ago while the main hotel was going thru a $40 million renovation. But in spite we had a great time. The concierge was very friendly and very helpful. The front desk no so much. They could have used some people skills. Kinda felt like being at a doctors office, they could not wait until you were outta there. The grounds were very nice and we had a fantastic time hanging out with a wedding party the day before the wedding. Great group of young folks.

The Morning Star beach resort was were we stayed 2 years ago........BEAUTIFUL........that's all I got to describe that......

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 June 2013
Thank you for your feedback, both positive and negative. We are sincerely committed to guest satisfaction so you can be sure that we review all comments with our entire leadership team, seeking improvement and correction where needed. Your loyalty as a repeat guest is appreciated and we would like another opportunity to win your loyalty. It definitely sounds like the Morning Star Beach resort which sits right on the beach was more to your taste. Before your next vacation, feel free to contact our leadership team at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com so we can manage your room assignment in a personalized way. I am confident we can deliver a great experience!
upper marlboro, md
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My husband and I just returned on 5/27 from our FABULOUS vacation to St. Thomas and our wonderful stay at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef Resort. I didn't know what to expect after reading some of the reviews which were mostly good, but when I arrived to the resort is surpassed my expectations. From the moment we exited the airport taxi, we were greeted by the Marriott concierge and luckily for us there was no long line. We are Elite Silver Marriott rewards guest so we requested and were granted a complimentary upgrade. I read a lot of reviews that raved about the marina view, so that is what we requested and thank you so those that said is breathtaking because it is. They handed us a pager to let us know when the room was available which allowed you to roam around the resort, so my hubby and I ventured out to the pool area which highlights 2 beautiful infinity pools and we sat at the beach bar for a while before relaxing on a poolside bed. Unfortunately, I think our pager was not working because we lost track of time and went back to inquire about the room and they had paged us 45 minutes prior. Once we got the room, we too had that breathtaking view of the marina. GORGEOUSSSSSSSS, words can not describe the view especially at night when all the lights are lit up. The restaurants at the hotel are a little pricey so be prepared to spend some $$$$ but they do offer a little convenience store where you can grab on the go for a lot less, and you can also pay cash which they do not offer poolside. We were fortunate to have a great breakfast buffet included in our price, so look for those specials!!! The beach was absolutely wonderful and the view again is to die for. The Frenchman's Reef sits in between the Cove and the Morningstar Resort which are both timeshare but you are able to roam throughout and use the beaches, pools, restaurants etc...My bff and her hubby stayed a little farther on the east end at the Elysian Resort and when they come to visit just raved out the Frenchman's Reef and how it has the feel of the Ritz which was next door to their resort. Another great perk is that the Marriott Frenchman's Reef has a water ferry that leaved right from the resort and can take you downtown either one way or round-trip. It cost us $28 round-trip for two and its worth it. Cudos to the the Adventure Tour Company, my hubby and I bought a roundtrip tix for the ferry on Sunday to go downtown but did not know all the stores are closed on Sunday. After we informed then, they graciously gave us a comp roundtrip for the next day, which is the day we left. The shops open at 9am so we were able to shop for 3 hours before we had to be at the airport!!!Thank you again!!!! That is great customer services!!! FYI-The taxi's can be quite costly so make sure you know what you should pay depending on where you are going, the taxi's will try to get over on you!!! LOL We only encountered one taxi drive that really tried to get over on us but we let him know we were not paying that rate and what the rate should be!!
You must do the day sail on the New Horizon Boat over to St. John. Its $75/per person and includes all you can eat and drink. The 2 beaches they sail to in St. John are absolutely gorgeous white sand beaches and you snorkel at each island. The sail is from 10-4 and worth every penny!!!
You must go to Red Hook which is further east and eat at Duffy's (great food and drink with incredible pricing and happy hour) as well as go to Mimi's for seafood, one of the top seafood restaurants on the island. We had caribbean Lobster surf and turf!! Delicious!!!!
There is so much to do that we didn't get to do in 5 days so are already planning to make another trip very soon. You have the option to do St. Thomas, St. John and St. Croix!!!! I hope this helps your planning, believe me when I say, I am used to great quality and while this was our first trip to St. Thomas, I can definitely see that Marriott used all the money for renovations in the best ways! The only thing I would say I would change is that there is a big pool just for spa guest that I think could better be used by all guest at the resort. It was always empty and on our last day they had drained it to clean....other than that great job Marriott, you exceeded our expectations and we plan to definitely come back soon!! Thanks for helping us celebrate our 6th year anniversary in style!!!!

Room Tip: Always ask for a complimentary upgrade especially if you are a Marriott Rewards Member!! Get a Marin...
3 Thank hawkbaby
You are most welcome! We are delighted to hear your anniversary trip was a success from start to finish. If there is any planning I can assist with before your next adventure here, feel free to reach out to me through the hotel. Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience.
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort last week for a 4 day weekend while attending a wedding there. We had such a great experience, everything was easy - easy to get to from the airport, friendly, helpful staff, beautiful view ( we were ocean view in the main hotel), pools are beautiful and the grounds are gorgeous. The restaurant food was not great and a little pricey but the settings were beautiful. We took a cab into town for a change but it was $30 each way and the food was not much better. In hindsight I wish we had rented a car to explore other restaurants and to be able to explore St Thomas a bit more. We did the Catamaran snorkeling trip on The Cat which was just wonderful. It leaves right from the Marriot's own dock, very convenient and decent snorkeling and rum punch. We were a family of 5, including 2 teens and a 4 year old and all had a great time. Not many kids as school was in session. Though the hotel was fully booked we were always able to have shaded seating on the beach or at the pools, it didn't feel crowded at all. We didn't use the Spa or the kid's club so can't comment on those but they looked nice.

Room Tip: We didn't see any other rooms but loved our oceanview room in the pink building of the main hote...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jrose28806
Thank you for your wonderful feedback! We just love to hear when guests of ALL ages leave totally satisfied! Our resort is designed to offer something for everyone. Also, I personally appreciate you mentioning the spaciousness of the beach and pools. We hope another special occasion brings your family back to Frenchman’s Reef!
Reviewed 27 May 2013

You can see that this resort is the victim of a leader without vision and a company that runs by their profit and loss statement.

Vision: from the moment you arrive at night and drive down the driveway to the hotel to the second you step out on your balcony to look at the resort you see nothing but darkness, There is no feeling of resort here. Rather it is a large unexciting city hotel with friendly but iconsistent staff and very bad (but expensive) food.

Victim of the P&L? Cracked and chipping roofs, no concierge after 8-pm, unkept pathways, broken waterfall, terrible planting (really, not even a lush garden in the Caribbean???) Everywhere you look something is broken or needs a coat of paint.
Oh and dont stay in an inter-connecting room, there is NO sound-proofing whatsoever and you will share the lifes of your neighbors.

Can you believe the Concierge stops working at 8-pm so you can't even book a table at restaurant!

Nohting local at all, no local music, just piped in muzak. You arrive to a baggage storage unit (you have to weave your way through bags to get to the lone check-in person who is 5-deep in people!). Only the beautiful iguanas look local but try to find even a scrap of information about them... Also the cocktails are made with 12% rum (that's the strength of a normal white wine, not rum!)

Go somewhere else until this pace realises that they need ot invest more in the product and take less home in their pockets!

2 Thank Kozlik700
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear your stay was not all that you hoped for. Your feedback is valuable and I look forward to sharing it with our leadership team. Here at Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort, we strive for a tropical resort experience which provides all the comforts of home, superior amenities and warm hospitality. We do recognize and face the challenges that all resorts located in tropical coastal environments have. Last year, we became the second most popular hotel in Charlotte Amalie which speaks to our vast renovations and eager desire to please each and every guest. Nevertheless, there is always room for improvement and comments like yours help us grow as a business. We are sorry this visit did not exceed your expectations. In that vein, we would relish a second opportunity to win your loyalty. If there is anything further you would like to discuss, feel free to email me at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com and reference this review. Thank you again for your impressions, including the recognition of our potential.
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 27 May 2013

One of the best locations for a Caribbean retreat. I went on business, but the views felt as relaxing as a vacation would. It is located perfectly for a view, but not much to do around other than what the hotel offers. Since it offers a great deal, you'll be OK.

Room Tip: The view is a Must Have!!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from a vacation here and it was paradise. The staff was very helpful and friendly, the view from our room was amazing (we stayed at the main hotel), and the infinity pool was relaxing. We always were able to find a seat by the pools, and there was always someone available to make us a boat drink!

I highly recommend this hotel, and hope to be back very soon.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ButterflyToe
Thank you for your review! We appreciate the acknowledgement of our ‘helpful and friendly’ service, views, and amenities availability! We look forward to your next visit to “Paradise”!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,198 reviews

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!