“DON'T BELIVE THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS”

Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Virginia
“DON'T BELIVE THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I recently returned from "the Reef", and it was an EXCELLENT trip!! I hated to leave my home away from home! The people on this, and neighboring, island are truly amazing! There is no bad room at this hotel, we stayed on the side with a harbor view and loved seeing the cruise ships dock and ship out. The pier is really cool, night kayaking looked like a lot of fun! You can take the ferry into town or over to St. John, which is HIGHLY recommended. Trunk beach is beautiful, I felt like I was in a James Bond movie at some of these beaches. The reef is a bit of a distance and will require a car or taxi ($6 pp ea. way) and can get expensive. I liked liberty beach which is near the airport (if you don't mind a little plane noise every so often, I barely noticed it) and will stay on that side the next time, just closer to everything.
The hotel is expensive, but everything is expensive on these islands. Go to Kmart, yes Kmart, to get bottled water, bread, snacks and LIQUOR to keep in your room. Get a breakfast bagel in the morning at the gift shop on site. The portions at Coco Joe's are very big, we decided to get an appetizer and sandwich for lunch to share and that was more than enough for two. Get the bucket drink for $13 and then bring it with you when you return, this time it's only $9 and it's a big drink. Havana Blue was really nice, take your discount card for 5% off. If going to St. John, go early. If you rented a car, take the car ferry ($25 each way), get floats from the hotel and head over to Trunk beach ($4 pp) to enjoy the day. Parking is a trip over there though. Take the sail trip to the BVI on the Bad Kitty and get ready for a great time. It's $150, plus $30 tax and money for lunch. It is soooooooo worth it!! You could also charter a boat and go on your own time but the Baths are incredible!! Bring $ to shop, excellent shopping for jewelry. Get ready for an AWESOME trip! Go work out with Ruthie, I was sore for 2 days after her Zumba class and tell Sarah at the front desk, her sister Lolita said hello and she misses her much! I cried when it was time to go! Best money spent with wonderful accommodations and heavenly people!! Muahh!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank lobrecken
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Thank you for this wonderful and extremely helpful recommendation! I’ll be sure to pass along your messages as we share all these reviews with our team. We will all be here when you return!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,568)
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We stayed at Morning Star Beach Resort after spending 3 days on VI campgrounds on Water Island. The hotel was beautifully situated on Morning Star beach and our waterfront room was really nice. There was a fridge in the room and so my husband went grocery shopping the first day to get breakfast food, beer and a bottle of wine. Ironically the room has it's own ice maker tucked in the corner so we filled a small cooler we had brought with us with beer and juice for our daughter saving us some money. The Morning Star pool is beautiful but pretty shallow, however, the infinity pool is worth the hike up all of the stairs. It was a great pool especially at sunset. The iguanas are really fun to see as you climb the stairs too. We ate at Coco Joe's several time and although the service is a little slow our wait staff was very friendly and had great recommendations on food. The only down side was the housekeeping was not always that great or timely. They left room service trays outside most of the day collecting bugs and on several days they did not bring us water nor replace the room service order ticket and I had to call down each night to order our morning pot of coffee. But for the most part everyone was very friendly and the place was beautiful.

Room Tip: Request rooms on the second or third floor. You have more stairs to climb but the ones on ground fl...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lrmacauley
Great review! I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the location and the convenience of the room amenities at Morning Star. Also, it definitely sounds like Coco Joe’s was a favorite. Thank you also for bringing the housekeeping issues you experienced to my attention so that we can make corrections. I apologize for any inconvenience it caused. We hope that we will again have the pleasure of providing your family a great vacation destination!
Fernandina Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I love this hotel. This is the 2nd year in a row that my husband & I have stayed here. The rooms are beautiful and spacious. The view from our room was breathtaking and looked out over Charlotte Amalie. The staff is super friendly, I didn't pass a single staff member who didn't smile and say hello! I was too busy taking in the gorgeous surroundings to notice anything like peeling paint as I've seen in some reviews...

There is beautiful snorkeling right off the beach at the resort, we snorkeled out along the rocky part of shore and saw tons of colorful fish and rays! The resort has an adventure desk where you can book excursions, but if you are looking for a dive trip you will need to book on your own. Try St. Thomas Dive Club! If you want to do a boat charter skip the crowed boats and take Good Day Charters. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brittany B
What a lovely photo! Thank you so much for sharing the enjoyment you felt while staying with us. We’re happy to hear you were pleased with your rooms, the team here and the great snorkeling off the Morning Star beach. Great recommendation!
Brighton, Michigan
Reviewed 25 July 2013

My husband and I stayed at Frenchman's for our honeymoon in late May. Overall, we found the resort to be very nice and pleasant. Our room was clean and even when our in-room safe didn't work, we received prompt attention and service. The view at the resort was amazing!

On our first night there, we met Zogisle when we were asking for recommendations for dinner. Zogisle took extra time to explain the local restaurants, tours, and helped us plan out our "must do's" in St. Thomas and St. John. We can't say enough about how impressed we were with Zogisle and his enthusiasm for truly making sure guests get the experience that they want. He is a true asset to Frenchman's!! He went way above and beyond!

We will definitely be back to Frenchman's! If you're going to Frenchman's, we recommend you stop and ask to see Zogisle. You won't regret it!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the kind words for Zogisle. We agree he is a true asset and will give him the recognition he deserves for making your honeymoon extra special! We look forward to welcoming you back!
Dayton, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 23 July 2013

A beauty in parasite definitely a must go, such an experience from amenities, to restaurants, and amazing excursions. Make sure you take a ferry to St. John's beautiful pristine island, make sure you go to sandy keys, jost van dyke, soggy dollar beach in st Thomas.
St. John go to skinny legs, trunk bay, cinnamon bay, maho bay, breathtaking waters, excellent snorkeling, the most incredible fish you'll ever see.

Room Tip: Ocean front or bay front
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Giovanna R
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Thank you for posting these great sight-seeing recommendations! We’re glad you visited and look forward to your next stay!
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The pictures and the price are misleading you to think this is a first class establishment. While the place was nice, I would have expected much nicer finishes throughout the facility. Peeling paint, lightbulbs out, lower quality furnishings. Room was clean and location was amazing just disappointed with the fit and finish given the pictures online and the price.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mengel5
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear your experience did not match your impressions. I do appreciate you bringing this to my attention though. The gallery on the website is designed to give an overview of not only Frenchman’s Reef but also the adventures and activities available. Here on TripAdvisor, we also have a wonderful collection of over one thousand photos posted from travelers like you. For the benefit of those reading this review, we’d like to add that if you ever have any question about whether Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort is the right hotel for you, please feel free to reach out to our pre-arrival team here on the property. We would be happy to answer any specific questions you may have. Thank you again for sharing your experience.
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Reviewed 22 July 2013

To start - My wedding was beautiful! Beautiful weather (a slight hiccup when I lost my wedding shoes), but overall I had to let loose and release control ;) That being said... My wedding planner, Kate, wasn't the best ;( I had to remind her more than once on details, and my requested grey (yes, grey) cake turned out white and she didn't seem to have an issue with it... As a matter of fact her comment to me was, "Well, did you not like the cake?" The cake did turn out very pretty, but it wasn't what I requested nor what I PAYED FOR - she didn't seem like that should be an issue. I get that it's ISLAND TIME, but I still think as a bride I should have been given and received what I paid for... As a wedding planner - I wouldn't recommend her.

However - I LOVED the Frenchman's Reef and my wedding!! The staff, our wedding photographer from Blueglass photography, our classical guitarist, and our videographer were amazing and aside from a few minor details, I would recommend this hotel to anyone!! All of our guests have raved about the rooms, the views, the wedding itself, and the amazing views :) I wouldn't have traded my trip there for anything... Please go to Havana Blue if you take this trip! It's at the resort and the food is incredible!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Megan W
Thank you for your candid comments. Although I am happy to hear your wedding was beautiful, I am sorry that every detail was not to your satisfaction. We appreciate the feedback which gives us the opportunity to make corrections to our procedures. If there is anything further you would like to discuss, feel free to reach out to me through the hotel. On a positive note, it sounds like the rest of your time here was perfect for you and your guests. Thank you again for your review and choosing Frenchman’s Reef for this very special occasion.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,196 reviews

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!