“Honeymoon in paradise!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Hugo, Minnesota
“Honeymoon in paradise!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

I read many reviews and was a little nervous what we had booked at first. As soon as we arrived all my worries went away. We were greeted as soon as we walked in to the beautiful open air lobby. We originally booked a water view with a balcony and were put in a room on level one with a view of the tennis court and a small view of the water. We could deal with the view, but really wanted a balcony for a little more privacy. Carissa was more than helpful and immediately searched for a room to put us in......5th floor with a balcony and water view.....Perfect!

The room we stayed in was renovated and did not smell like mildew (one of my concerns from what I had read). The only complaint with the room is the walls are paper thin and we could for the most part hear our neighbors. Other then that our AC went out in the middle of the night and we locked ourselves out of our safe (our own fault), but someone came to fix both issues immediately.

The food, yes it's expensive but what do you expect....you're on an island that feeds off of tourist....of course it's going to be expensive! We ate at Coco Joe's the most because it's laid back and right off of the beach. The portions are huge, you could get away with sharing a burger for lunch. Our favorite dinner was at Havana Blue, they have the best mashed potatoes!! We never once had terrible service at any of the restaurants on the resort.

Overall we found everyone at the resort to be incredibly helpful and friendly! The resort itself is in a beautiful location on the island with easy access to things. It was a little pricey, but you're on vacation in paradise......you should expect to pay more! We would definitely stay again and would recommend it to family and friends!

1 Thank Karissa G
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Thank you for choosing Frenchman’s Reef to spend your honeymoon! I am so pleased to hear Carissa was able to re-assign you to the perfect room and beyond that you felt the warm responsiveness of our staff at all points of your stay. We appreciate your recommendation. Wishing you a wonderful holiday season!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,533)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

The property was beautiful. The food was pricey, choices were limited and the buffet bar was not kept prestine and filled up. There needs to be a few more reasonable food choices instead of the expensive dinners. The tours offered were fantastic and convenient to get information and book the tours right from the lobby. The pool service was great, and the pools were beautiful.
Can't wait to go back next year.

Room Tip: the rooms higher up give you a better view of the boats, islands, etc.,
3 Thank Oceanview2315
Thank you! We sincerely enjoyed having you as our guests and appreciate your compliments and suggestions. Keep an eye here on our TripAdvisor listing page for specials throughout the year. See you soon!
Boston, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

We arrived at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef late in the afternoon. We loved the open air aspect of the hotel. The lobby area was quite lovely and the public spaces were hard to beat with the beautiful views. Unfortunately, our room was not so nice. First and foremost, it smells like mildew through the hallways and in the room. Though I've come to understand that the rooms were fairly recently renovated, they really seemed old and in need of freshening up. Issues in the room included A/C not working, hot water seemed to be at a premium, and then there was the window shade. The shade was at the high point in the room - a loft suite. When we inquired about how to close it, we were told that there should be a remote for it in the room. No remote. Engineering was summoned, and they arrived with two possible remotes neither of which was left with us upon their departure; we were just told that we'd have to call every morning and every evening to get it opened and closed.

The public spaces though seemingly beautiful had their issues too, for example tile falling off the infinity pool, garbage in the overflow (drink refuse), there were elevators and walk ways out of service during the course of our entire visit. Service over all was bad. Coco Beach restaurant was a nightmare. You could place a beverage order with your breakfast or even before for coffee or tea and wait 15 or 20 minutes for it to arrive. I had begun to think they were roasting the beans or picking the tea leaves. I asked for Earl Grey my first morning there and then every morning after. The hotel had it as I’d had it in one of the other restaurants. Clearly none of the waitresses at Coco Beach ever considered letting their manager know that they were out or that a guest was asking for it.

This is a level 8 Marriott. It’s supposed to be a “jewel” in the Marriott chain. Being that this is Marriott level 8 and that I’m paying a lot money I expected: 1) turn down service; 2) soft plush towels not course, sandpaper like rags to drag across my sun-burned skin; 3) a/c that worked consistently; 4) regular hot water; 5) a way to open a shade without assistance from Engineering each and every time; 6) enough pool towels, we had to negotiate with the pool towel person to get four towels because the front desk had only given us one “pool towel card;” 7) good customer service, particularly since I'm a platinum level Marriott member. I've never encounters such a large group of people who didn't care in the least about the place they worked and who had less interested in ensuring that your stay was pleasant.

Even as we checked out, the desk clerk asked how the stay was, as we tried to let him know of our dissatisfaction, he argued with us point by point. More proof that they didn't care and didn't want to hear about it either.

There was one really good helpful guy at the front desk, Duon I believe his name is, but he's only one guy. There was also one really good waitress at the Coconut Beach, sadly I don’t recall her name, maybe it was Marion.

Marriott Frenchman's Reef in not worth the extra money.

We're big Marriott fans and have never had an experience like this in any Marriott anywhere. The Courtyard in Portland, Maine was nicer and the people more helpful.

Room Tip: Get one at another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank DRaymond
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your impressions are valuable and I am happy to hear you were able to enjoy several aspects of your stay. Despite this, I regret your expectations overall were not met. Please know that we do take all the reviews as direction for improvement. In that vein we do appreciate your suggestions. We are currently in the process of updating several areas of the property and are excited to have recently welcomed new leadership. If we ever have a second opportunity to win your loyalty, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts in person. Please feel free to contact me through the hotel if there is ever anything I can assist you with. Thank you again for staying with us.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed for only 1 night to be fair, yet the atmosphere did not evoke the laid-back comforts of the Caribbean - the labyrinth of hallways made it easy to get lost, the 70's style carpeting produced menacing vibes, the hallways smelled of mildew, and the food was average at best; something you'd expect from a bad diner on the NJ Turnpike. The positives I left with are great expansive views of the islands, a pretty amazing pool (waterfall, submerged chairs on the cliff) and an unforgettable restaurant down the beach (Blue) which made us temporarily forget that we spent a day & night in a "Circus Circus." Maybe ether could make it more tolerable...

• Stayed December 2012
5 Thank 1HAPPYHIPPIE
Classic photo! Thank you for your review. Before your next trip, please feel free to reach out to me. I have a feeling you would enjoy staying at our Morning Star Beach Resort. We would like to personalize your stay so that we can understand your particular preferences. We do recognize that everyone’s tastes in accommodation and vacation style are personal. That being said, we feel that we have something to offer just about anyone. And for the benefit of our friends here on TripAdvisor who may be planning travel, our pre-arrival team is always ready to assist you in planning your perfect getaway. Thank you again for staying with us; we sincerely enjoyed having you as our guest!
Spotswood, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed here the first week in Nov. 2013. We had a great time. Very relaxing atmosphere. The Spa day was perfect. Everyone at the hotel was friendly and more than helpful. Two of the best were Steffanie and Zoegile at the Information desk in the lobby. Great recommendations guys! Going back next year.

2 Thank Kathy P
Thank you for leaving this great 5-star review and letting us know you will be back! We look forward to welcoming you. And, your compliments will be passed along to Stefanie and Zogisle! We are lucky to have a great team here. We wish you a wonderful holiday season!
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

My wife and I just returned from a week's stay at this resort. It had been 33 years since we were in St Thomas. From our arrival at the desk with Sarah, who was fabulous, to our last night, the service and ammenities were truly outstanding. I had read a few other reviews, some mixed, but our experience was fantastic - I wouldy highly recommend this resort.

4 Thank Tom N
Excellent review! First, we sincerely appreciate your pointing out Sarah for her friendliness so we can recognize her efforts. Secondly, we thank you for taking the time to share your experience and photos with the community here on TripAdvisor. This is so helpful for members planning travel. That sunset picture is phenomenal! Before your next visit (which we know will be soon) please call ahead so we can welcome you back! Happy Holidays!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

I was really curious about staying here considering the mix of reviews I read beforehand. It seems that most people leaving feedback about this property either loved it or hated it so I really wasn’t sure what to expect. I have Platinum Elite status with Marriott and stay in hotels about 200 nights a year, so I have a good amount of experience to compare this stay to.

I booked online through the Marriot website and used points for our stay. A few days prior to our arrival I received a personal email from a ‘pre-arrival coordinator’. The email covered information on how this property handles the usual status upgrades and add-ons and asked when we thought we would be arriving, etc. I emailed back with some information and received an immediate response… I thought this was a good first impression.

Some specific topics and my thoughts on them:

Check-In: The check-in experience was quick and easy. This is off-season so the property wasn’t super busy, but it wasn’t a ghost town either. I checked-in without issue and had our keys in under 5 minutes. We arrived at least an hour before the 4pm check-in time but getting into our room as soon as we arrived wasn’t an issue. We had reserved an ocean view balcony room in the main hotel building (Frenchman’s Reef). When we checked-in the front-desk person explained that because of my Marriott status we were upgraded to a ‘larger’ ocean view balcony room that has a little more space than the regular ocean view balcony rooms. I think the extra space she was referring to must have been in the ceiling height and not wall to wall… our room didn’t seem any bigger than a regular hotel room but it did have a vaulted ceiling so…

Room: Our room was on the 8th floor and as I mentioned above it had a very high vaulted ceiling, which was nice but I don’t think we would have missed it had we been in a regular room. Our room had a nice balcony overlooking Charlotte Amalie harbor, which was beautiful. We had a king room and it had everything we needed. The rooms and property in general were more rundown than what I would have normally expected (had I not read the reviews), but none of this really bothered us. I think housekeeping did a good job given what they had to work with.

Staff: I never encountered anyone at the property that wasn’t cordial, polite and helpful. We always received smiles and ‘good afternoon/morning’ greetings from anyone we so much as passed in a hallway. We didn’t have to ask for much while we were there but on the few occasions where we engaged in conversation with someone on the staff or needed help with something, it was a completely pleasant experience. Of course, we were on vacation and floating around with big smiles on our faces and I often think you get what you give.

Parking: The parking situation is terrible, but I that’s St. Thomas for you. With the amount of land that the Marriott properties take-up, I think they could splash out for some more parking spaces. Early in the week it wasn’t as much of an issue but when the weekend rolled around it became increasingly difficult to find a place to park. We actually witnessed employees arguing over our space as we left for the beach one morning and when we returned that afternoon there were dozens and dozens of cars parked along the road leading into the resort and no parking to be found. As a paying guest that makes this our ‘home’ for the week, I think this needs to be improved on.

Vacation Club Vultures: This really got to me, just like it does when we are in Las Vegas. But it feels much more tacky here for some reason. ☺ I knew before we even got to the resort that we would be poached for the timeshare tour. But we only lasted 45 minutes before we succumbed to the first pitch. By the girl at the towel stand by the pool. Fail for us. After that we tried to steer clear of anyone that looked like they wanted to sell us a week next door. But what REALLY bothered me were the cheesy questions/statements that were shouted at us from the ‘information’ desk every single time we came to or from the elevators. We learned to walk fast and act deep in conversation. How sad is that? The one lady would say ‘I have a discount card for you!!!’ 20 times a day. Another one would shout to us asking what we were up to or what we were doing, where we were going, etc. It really got on my nerves. I think they need to tone this down.

Restaurants: I am going to post individual reviews for Havana Blue, Sunset Grille and Coco Joe’s, but I thought they were all good or great. We LOVED Havana Blue and ended-up eating there twice. We had a car and typically like to go to our local favorites but after trying it we had to go back! We ate at Sunset Grille only because we were so tired and worried about not finding a place to park when we got back, and it did not disappoint. Coco Joe’s was good, nothing special but the location right on the beach is fun.

Grounds/Beach/Pool/Ferry: The grounds of this property are incredible. I think they do a really good job of keeping them looking nice but this is an island it takes more of beating from the sea than other properties might. We really enjoyed just walking around and admiring the iguanas! The pools were just fine, as were the beaches, but again we like to explore so we didn’t spend much time using these amenities. We did enjoy taking the ferry over to town one afternoon though, was a nice convenience and gave us a break from driving around. I think we paid $14 per person round-trip.

Overall, we will stay here again. The good/great definitely outweighs anything we weren’t thrilled with and we had a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank avaree
We are thrilled to hear we earned your loyalty! I enjoyed reading your descriptions of all the different aspects of your stay. Coming from a seasoned traveler, your opinion is meaningful. It is especially wonderful to hear your interactions with our team were pleasant and warm and you felt comfortable with your room (and housekeeping service). I also appreciate your compliments of our grounds. While it’s hard to find any spot on St. Thomas that isn’t beautiful, we agree that our location and landscaping are especially breathtaking. We look forward to your next stay with us! Happy Holidays!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,627 reviews

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!