“Very average resort at 5 star prices”

Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My husband and I are in the middle of our December vacation staying at the Morning Star Beach Resort. The resort is way overpriced for the service, food and accommodations and a big disappointment. We are paying $359 a night -- as you will see, not worth even close to that amount, even with the beach setting. I am a Marriott Silver Elite Member and would not stay here again.

The Room: chipped floor tiles; battered bathroom door where repairs from old hooks are obvious and shoddy looking; air conditioning is either blowing loudly (probably well over 70 dBA) or off since the low setting does not function; tub that won't drain properly so you are taking a bath before even a brief shower is over; front cover of the ice machine is broken and falling off; and a fanless bathroom.

The Food: the food is typically overpriced like most hotels, but worse is that it is not very good. We ordered chips, salsa and guacamole at Sunset Grill as an appetizer one day for lunch. The salsa came from a jar, likely the Old El Paso brand carried in the hotel convenience store (Star Market) -- terrible. The guacamole was premade and not fresh, notwithstanding the fresh avocados served with other dishes on the menu. Cost? $14. Chicken sandwich was like eating spiced up chicken-flavored leather. The sandwiches for sale at Star Market sit for days before being removed from the case. $9.50 for a two or three day old sandwich with a couple pieces of turkey and cheese. Pastry may look pretty, but it too is not fresh, unless you get lucky to buy on delivery day -- does not appear that any of the pastry is made at the hotel. The best food is offered at the Sand Bar, which is better than average and, no surprise, is more expensive. The buffet breakfast at Aqua Terra is decent enough because there is choice, but again, it is expensive (one day it was $19 and another $24). The coffee is typical Marriott, which is not very good.

The Staff: Generally, staff are very friendly, cheerful and helpful. But, sales people for Marriott's vacation plans (time share like ownership program) are relentless. As we walked by one of the saleswomen this morning she shouted at us, "So, what are you folks doing today?" I restrained myself from telling her it was none of her business -- a simple "good day" or comment on today's weather would have been lovely and respectful of us as guests. Instead, walking through the hotel sometimes felt like we were in a used car lot or back in downtown St. Thomas with shop owners competing with calls to tourists to come buy their wares. While it is worth the 1.5-2 hour presentation on the time shares to get a free snorkeling trip worth $150, the persistent entreaties to sign up for the presentation as you walk by a sales desk are a complete turn off.

The Service: Service is only so-so and not as good as I've received at Residence Inns when I travel for business. We had to ask three times and wait more than five hours for a blanket to replace the heavy blanket on the bed. One night we decided to sleep with our inner door open and outer screened shutter door closed so we could feel the ocean air and trade winds rather than suffer the noisy air conditioner. When we woke in the morning we found the outer shutter door wide open. When I asked the desk clerk about this, I leaned that hotel security checks the inner doors each night for safety. However, security did not bother to shut our outer door or close the inner door, leaving us and our belongings completely vulnerable to any passerby while we slept . Some security check - we were less secure! We would have locked the outer door if it had one. (We also did not appreciate the mosquitos that were let in as a result of this laziness/inattention.)

The Facilities: The hotel grounds are well kept and gardens really nice. Places that need work have signs indicating they are out of use (mostly walkways). The gym and pools are nice, although the whirlpool at the beach club pool has been under repair and unavailable for the last five or so days we've been here.

In sum, we would not recommend coming here unless you get a free or severely discounted trip. I would not waste my Marriott Rewards points on this place and would not recommend it to others.

3  Thank Leslie C
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Thank you for reaching out to us through a TripAdvisor review. I am saddened to read that your stay is not all you hoped it would be. We invite you to immediately contact the manager on duty at Morning Star Beach Resort in order for us to have the opportunity to turn around your disappointment! Your impressions are meaningful to our improvement efforts. Thank you and we hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

Reviewed 14 December 2013

We stayed here from Nov 30th - Dec. 2013. We have been to this hotel 3 times in the last several years. They have renovated since we were there two years ago & it looks great especially the pool area..The infinity pools is beautiful. There was confusion with our accomodations but it was resolved & we were given a beautiful room on the 8th floor. The staff is wonderful & always willing to be of assistance

Room Tip: We always get the ocean side because it is quite & wonderful to look at the ocean
1  Thank Charles I

Thank you for your compliments of our infinity pools and warm, responsive service. It’s a delight to hear from guests who have experienced our renovations ‘before’ and ‘after’! We appreciate you taking the time to share and hope another vacation brings you back soon!

Reviewed 14 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel after Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gourda due to our flight schedule and despite their comparable pricing, they couldn't be more different. Our room was small, had black mold on the patio door extensively, smelled of icky air freshner, and just wasn't up to standard for its nice setting. It looks quite worn in the public areas and seems to need a facelift. I would not recommend staying here unless you get a great deal on a promotion.

1  Thank ginko1964

Thank you for your feedback. With that said, we do regret to learn that your experience with our accommodations did not reflect the high standards we wish to achieve. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences that you had to endure while with us. We have a very strict room inspection policy in place and deeply regret any oversights from our staff. We are taking all of your concerns very seriously and we assure you that these issues will be addressed and properly taken care of to ensure a better environment for our future guests. In order to make the necessary corrections to that room and follow up with you, we would like to invite you to contact our leadership team at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com. If you plan to visit the islands again, please consider giving Frenchman’s Reef another chance. We are currently in the process of updating several areas of the property in addition to the major renovation we completed in late 2011. We have also welcomed new leadership to the property and are looking ahead to 2014 being our best year ever! Wishing you a wonderful holiday season!

Reviewed 14 December 2013

I stayed here Dec. 7th-11th 2013 and this was the best resort I have ever stayed in. The staff was great,food excellent, the endless pool was so relaxing, the bed and pillows were so soft that I slept for hours,quick shuttles and water taxi services, and the Cruzan Confusion drink was so great!! I stayed in an oceanfront suite and it was like heaven on earth every morning I was there because I walked out my door and the sand and ocean was steps away!! I also earned lots of Marriott rewards points that I will use on my next stay here or any other Marriott!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for sharing your experience at Morning Star Beach Resort! We always enjoy hearing our guest’s impressions of our accommodations and amenities, so we appreciate your compliments of the bedding, pools, cuisines and service. We hope for the opportunity to welcome you and your family back again!

Reviewed 13 December 2013

We just returned from a 4 night stay at the Frenchman's reef. We stayed in a harbor view suite, which was quite spacious and had nice views of the harbor (provided you looked over the parking area) which were the only good things. The bed was hard as a rock and killed my back. There were some pillows that were hard as rocks, and down ones which flattened out once you put your head on them. The couch in the living room area had a torn cushion and was so uncomfortable to sit on. Then there were 2 wicker chairs that had somewhat better cushions on them. The terrace was tiny, had broken and loose tiles and the railing was not attached to the wall. The area rugs on the floor did not lay flat so you had to be careful not to trip. There are no elevators in the harbor view wing and the light in the stairwell closest to our room was out for 3 of the 4 nights we were there. The railings in the stairwells looked like they were all coming apart. There was a large group at the hotel, that managed to take over the only 2 restaurants at the Frenchman's Reef property for dinner on 2 nights, so we had to leave the premises to have dinner those nights. The floor in the bathroom was filthy. One morning we had no water at all for a few hours. There was not enough people working the desk in the lobby. On several occasions there were several managers standing around doing nothing while long lines formed at the desk. We were trying to check out during the time the large group was leaving and the line at the desk was huge and again all the managers were off to the side and not helping move the line along. You have to go down a huge flight of stairs to get to the ferryboat to town, and the stairs are all wonky. The air conditioner in the living room kept shutting off in the middle of the night even though we did not have the door to the balcony open.

Room Tip: Harbor front building is not worth the money.
1  Thank bunnyhoneyNY

Thank you for your helpful feedback. We are sorry your stay was not all you hoped it would be. I would like to give you reassurance of our commitment to improving our resort. Going forward with new leadership at the helm, we are looking forward to a great 2014! Please keep your eye on our listing here on TripAdvisor for excellent specials. We offer many different room configuration choices, I am confident we can find a room that you will love. If another visit to St. Thomas is in your plans, we would like another opportunity to win your loyalty. Feel free to reach out to me through the hotel if I can ever be of assistance. Our pre-arrival team (here every day) is also ready to assist you in exploring all your room, dining, transportation and activities options. We look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Just got home from this resort. Have traveled to Cabo and Cozumel in the past and this beats those locations hands down. Can't wait to return. Excellent staff, excellent adventures. We did a day downtown with the locals...they love tourist and very welcoming. Day at the beach, day adventure to St. Johns and LOVED the evening kayak with Anthony and Melissa. Ferry boat to town was very handy.

Room Tip: Some rooms close to parking garage are noisey.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Wonderful! Just delighted to hear your reward trip was unbeatable! We sincerely enjoyed having you as our guest. Call ahead of your next journey here so we can welcome you back!

Reviewed 12 December 2013

I made an appt for a spa package that included a massage, facial, manicure & pedicure. I was alerted a day before to confirm my appts and to be at spa 15 minutes early. I arrive at spa and no one is there to greet me, waiting waiting.....finally therapist comes out probably wondering where I am and takes me to treatment room, no mention of if I have any issues or request for massage. After massage I am led out to recovery room to wait, wait, & wait until finally I go to front desk and ask whats up? They have no record of the rest of my appts! They have canceled them without any mention! They offer me a facial 7 hours later (sorry flying out later!) and told me they would call if there was a manicure and or pedicure open. They offered me a discount on the massage but thats not what I wanted, I wanted what I booked! I left upset and very unrelaxed. They promised me that a manager would call, he never did:(

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katherine P

I am so sorry to hear of your experience at Lazule Spa. Please accept my heartfelt apologies on behalf of our entire resort leadership team. I can understand your frustration as this should never happen to a guest. If there is anything I can do to assist you, please feel free to send me an email to sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com and reference this review. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to improve our services. Wishing you a wonderful holiday season!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
#1 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!