“Not a lot of options in St. Thomas”

Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 February 2014

The Frenchman's Reef is the only place we saw in Charlotte Amalie worth staying. ST.T is really a cruise town. Their facility is very pretty and it has THE most stunning view. The entrance & Reception area are very nice and the veranda is spectacular. The rooms we saw are in need of freshening up. Don't get me wrong it is not bad, and as there is not much else unless you go to the far end of the island (inconvenient) Frenchman's Reef is it.

Room Tip: Stay in the main Hotel at top. Not the "Cottage Clusters" at beach
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Smchaels
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us! For the location, famous views and extensive amenities we offer, Frenchman’s Reef is the place in Charlotte Amalie! We appreciate your great rating and compliments!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,423)

Reviewed 6 February 2014

It's nothing special, which you will note as soon as you get off the elevator and tread the worn carpet down the hall to your room. Once inside, the shabby chicness of it takes over: knicked furniture, stained corner chair, slightly dirty bathroom. It's not a 5-star resort by US mainland standards. But compared to the other island hotels I've visited, it's pretty darn good.

Morning yoga classes are wonderful, with a backdrop of cruise ships sailing into the harbor.

Service is slow. Always slow. So slow you are certain you could do it faster yourself, from checking in, to making drinks, to checking out.

Skip the main restaurant and walk down to the beach for meals. You don't need the hotel buffet. Eating next to the water beats an indoor restaurant every time.

The main hotel has 3 pools, one of which is only for spa guests. It's a big rectangle with perhaps 20 chairs around it. The largest hotel pool sits above the ocean surrounded by chairs and cabanas. But my favorite pool was the smallest. It's off to the side, has a swim up bar, and has a great infinity ledge. If you get there early, you can score one of the five lounge chairs that actually sit in the water. Wonderful feeling to let your toes dip into the pool as the temp hits the high 80s.

Highly suggest 2 activities: sail on The Cat, a 50+' catamaran that docks at the hotel, and paddle board lessons. So great to be on the water.

Room Tip: Check in early. I got there late and the ocean front/views were gone.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank David D

Thank you for your helpful comments and descriptions of your favorite amenities. We’re pleased to hear you enjoyed the pools and our restaurant down on the beach at Morning Star Beach Resort (Coco Joe’s). After reading your entire review, I was sorry to hear the room you were in did meet your standards, nor ours. Please accept our apologies. Before your next trip to the islands, please feel free to reach out to me through the hotel so we can personalize your reservation. Most of our rooms have been updated and I am confident we can find the perfect fit for you. We hope that you will visit again for more St. Thomas adventures!

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Just spent the better part of 6 days here for a business meeting with the Pa. Bar Association. We went all inclusive and it was well worth it. The cost of food and beverages would have been exorbitant otherwise. The walk to the beach was a little far and had some steps, but worth it. Coco Joe's restaurant serves up a very good Breakfast and Lunch right on the beach. Their rum bucket drinks with refills are worth sampling. Meant for two people, we normally did one per person and their was plenty of rum. The Sunset Grill had the best dinner food at the Hotel, but the banquet buffets were not very good at all. The hotel was very accommodating and the rooms were clean and inviting. Of course the views were spectacular. Be sure to ask for a room in the renovated sections of the Hotel because the part that has not yet been done over is a little old and tired. The hotel side pools and deck areas sat plenty on lounge chairs. Look for my review of Havana Blue restaurant. It is not affiliated with the Hotel but it is a short jitney ride from the Hotel. Simply Marvelous!

Room Tip: see my comment about where to stay at hotel
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Herb S

A heartfelt thanks from all of us for leaving this favorable review of Frenchman’s Reef. We appreciate your compliments of the rooms, service, views and especially your recommendations of Coco Joe’s and The Sunset Grill. We hope your meeting was equally as successful as your stay!

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We have vacationed at Frenchman's over 10 times now. While the facility is older, Marriott does a good job of keeping it fresh and up to date. It was completely renovated 2 years ago. The resort has everything guests need: clean well maintained rooms, good restaurants, very nice beach, 2 large swimming pools, a sizable gym/ workout facility, and a great staff. The resort has beach lounges, umbrellas, and beach towels for hotel guests. The beach and swimming areas have full service food and drink services. We have found the resort staff to be very friendly and helpful. The resort is a short taxi ride from town for shopping. St. Thomas has at least 10+ excellent restaurants in addition to the ones on the resort. Frenchman's is a resort that we highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thank you so much for posting these great photos! We sincerely enjoy having you as our guest time and time again, your loyalty is appreciated. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me if I can ever be of assistance to your family!

Reviewed 31 January 2014

I just returned today from a wonderful getaway. It was my first time visiting the Virgin Islands but it wont be the last. The hotel was nice, However you should go to the Aqua Terra for their breakfast buffet. If you do make sure you tell Ermine Edmead you saw her name on the trip advisor. She is a server there and she went above and beyond to make sure we had excellent service. She even showed us where to get the water taxi to go shopping. We found the resort a delightful experience. My room was in the tower and it had an awesome view of the water.

Room Tip: I was on the the 5th floor and the view was spectacular
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sdelosa

Thank you for sharing your experience! We’re so glad you chose Frenchman’s Reef for your first island getaway. We hope it won’t be the last! We sincerely appreciate personal staff mentions so we can recognize the team members that leave a lasting positive impression on our valued guests. In that vein, we will be sure to pass along your compliments to Ermine for her excellent service. Thank you again!

Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

Let me tell you my favorite part of staying in the Marriott was having to go to Presto's Market. The staff on the outside was horrible but th e ladies my lord they made my day. In the mornings the ladies are always ready to serve smile on thier beautiful face. Tichinia was a nice friendly person always happy and energetic. Latanya such a perfect smile greets every guest and wish a wonderful farewell. Then there is Maria very quiet but, very nice. Seems like she about her work; what can I say she delivers great service.Now my all time favorite is Shakia that young lady is a beautiful person, she knew how to make me laugh on my worst day. She gives excellent service from beginning to end. Talking with her made me forget about my complaints she is the definition of an perfect example of "Perfect Customer service. Those ladies works really hard everyday that I came to Presto's they made my stay great. It seems like they never get a day off because everytime I came they were there....The only complaints was the manager was literally glued to her computer not aware of anything thats going on but overall I LOVE PRESTO'S

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank elvinmac404

Thank you for leaving this lovely review about our team at Presto’s Market. I look forward to personally recognizing their efforts!

Reviewed 29 January 2014

I was charged $349.95 for 10 days the room is no better than a Best Western. The front desk was horrible. It cost me $8000 for 10 days. Breakfast was $50 a day per person. I felt totally robbed when I left. Never will I go back!

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank ALDOCOLELLA

We would like another opportunity to win your loyalty. While we feel that our rates are in line with comparable island resorts in the high and low seasons, we have many different styles and locations of rooms throughout the property. For your next visit, I am confident we can accommodate your needs and preferences. I am saddened to read that your experience with our front desk team left you feeling disappointed. For that, we are sorry and would like to investigate in order to discover any corrections that need to be made. If you would be so kind to send an email to sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com and reference this review, our leadership team will be in direct contact with you. We strive for total guest satisfaction so each and every comment here on TripAdvisor is taken with seriousness in an effort to further improve our services. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we hope to hear from you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
#1 of 5 in East End
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!