Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Chandler, Arizona
“Perfect vacation”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We spent a week at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef Hotel and enjoyed almost every second there! One small exception to this rule was our first meal there at The Sand Bar- slow service and outrageously expensive for what we ordered--Kid's quesadilla was a small taco size tortilla that took one hour and was $10- So we went to CostULess the next day and ordered a microwave to be delivered to our room and picked up some tortillas and cheese, some microwave mac n cheese cups and some PB&J and bread...Problem solved! The beach was by far the kids favorite part of the hotel! Our rooms overlooked the tennis courts so we were very close to both a pool and the beach! It was perfect! Two other families stayed there too and we all agreed that this trip was absolutely wonderful- The manager took care of our first night problem to our satisfaction and everyone was always very helpful and accommodating! I will be back!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Suddz08310605
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you for bringing your family to stay at Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort! It sounds like the stay was a total success. Your comments regarding the Sand Bar (which is owned and managed by an outside company) are greatly appreciated and I will pass along your feedback to the manager there. We are pleased to read that our management took care of your whole group to your satisfaction. We hope another holiday will bring you again to St. Thomas!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,584)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 March 2014

To be fair, I only stayed one night and didn't see the entire resort. But never have I felt so wallet raped in 24 hours! Yet another tourist trap designed to empty your bank account while giving you unremarkable mediocre. Enjoying the cab ride through the dirty dilapidation, just like almost every "downtown" in the Caribbean, I am always feeling sympathy for the thousands of tourist that spent their hard earned money to get there, no doubt loured by some advertising featuring a flawless beach and conveniently not mentioning how crummy the rest of the island is - having been subject to decades of indifference and low standards of the residents. What a let-down at the beginning of your vacation...

After the $50 five mile taxi ride, the lobby and check-in are lovely and welcoming. The room is very nice - except for the vent in the ceiling near the door with a sizable crop of black mold growing around it.

But the real slap in the face was dinner. Arriving around 8PM, my copilot and I, both Platinum members, were hungry so we went to the Sunset Grill, assuming (incorrectly) that "grill" denotes casual, burgers and steaks where we could get a decent meal, and not the huge rip-off that it was.

Service is abominably slow. Of course, Mon! Staff, typical forced politeness not quite concealing general disdain. 10 minutes to get a $8 bottle of beer carried from the bar to table. Twice, and the place was empty. Exactly 50 minutes after seating, we are each served with a shocking plate which can only be called a tiny snack. I had to take a photo! My $37 blackened fish was the corner of a filet sitting on 4 asparagus spears. My side of Chorizo Potatoes were blatantly reheated leftovers and contained no chorizo. My copilot's equally expensive lamb shanks were 4 bite size pieces with the same 4 spears and was cold. The large, undressed plate really emphasized the skimpiness of these "main courses". Total worth: maybe $25 island prices, but cost over $100!

It was too much of a rip-off for nothing we just had to say something. Waitress gets the cook to come out, instead off the manager who looked on from a distance. We voiced our disappointment that we'd now have to get a taxi into town to get a real meal after our "MEAL", but what could she say? She explained it was a new menu. Well, it was an INSULT. They did give him his meal for free, but how many tourists accept this crap? Too many, and thus they get away with it.

Big FAIL, Marriott.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank PrivateJetPilot
We are truly grateful for the level of detail that you've provided for us. Your feedback, positive or otherwise, is always welcome. We regret to learn that your experience with our restaurant, The Sunset Grill, did not reflect the high standards we wish to achieve. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this caused while with us. We are taking all of your concerns very seriously and we assure you that these issues will be addressed and properly taken care of to ensure a better dining experience for our future guests. On a positive note, we appreciate your compliments of the lobby décor and efficient check-in experience. We hope to have another opportunity to win your loyalty. Thank you.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed at the Marriott Frenchman’s Reef Morning Star. There are three possible room types at the Marriott on St. Thomas:

Frenchman’s Cove – Vacation club with 2 rooms, kitchen, family room. The amenities are great with a wonderful pool, slide, bar, ice cream shop, pizza place, etc. However, the beach is tiny

Frenchman’s Reef – Hotel rooms in the main hotel. Workout center, infinity pool, spa, bars, restaurants, etc. However, you have to walk down the hill to the beach.

Frenchman’s Reef Morningstar – Villas ON the beach. Our room opened up and we walked 4 steps to the beach. We were able to use the Frenchman Reef’s pools, bars, workout center, etc but you have to walk UP the hill to all of that. We got kayaks, snorkel gear, tennis courts, floats for free. We loved that we could walk right to our room from the beach. The rooms had wonderful views and everyone was very nice. The villas don't have the cleanliness of hotel rooms but gave us 2 full beds, a couch, a wonderful sized porch, and bathroom. When we first drove down to the Morningstar from Frenchman's Reef hotel, we visually noticed a difference in the lobbys. However, after staying there for a week our lobby was just a good. We were also able to use all of the amenities of the main hotel but got to be right on the beach.

Room Tip: Make sure you let them know you want ocean view or garden view when you book your trip.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank caithanson
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience. I especially enjoyed your comment, “When we first drove down to the Morningstar from Frenchman's Reef hotel, we visually noticed a difference in the lobbys. However, after staying there for a week our lobby was just a good.” That tells me your stay was a great success. We’re glad you enjoyed our white sandy beach and all the sports equipment we offer to make it extra fun. Also, I’d like to add a note to your description of the property. We do offer a complimentary shuttle between Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star every 15 minutes for those that prefer to ride. Thank you again for posting this great recommendation!
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We had the opportunity to stay for 4 nts at this property with a group. Luckily, our stay at this property was at the Company's expense otherwise I would have complained.

The rooms were clean but needs updating badly. The bathroom tile was chipped and had some mold and the locks on the doors were 1/2 broken off. The rooms definitely some remodeling and repair. It looked old and worn. The main lobby was dark and drab.

The pool and bar areas were very, very nice. There was no complaints there at all. The restaurants were very clean but I would like to have seen a different buffet each night. Every night it is the same Italian buffet. Food was ok but not great.

The staff at the hotel were not that friendly either. The desk where you could book dinners or excursions were not helpful or friendly and didn't go out of their way to assist you. However, the guys that did the water taxi's gave us great service and we enjoyed that very much.

The views are breathtaking and weather was perfect. We had a good time but it could have been drastically improved with better accomodations and staff that truly loved their job.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor. There were no screens on the patio door so we were not able to leave...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nancy521
Thank you for your review. It sounds like your stay was satisfactory overall and we appreciate your feedback on your room condition, dining and service experience. All your comments are very valuable to our team in our efforts to continuously improve every single aspect of guest experience. We recently welcomed a new General Manager and are excited by the growth and positive movement at the property level. Your review is indication we have a ways to go. We hope for another opportunity in the future to provide the kind of hospitality experience our reputation is built upon. On a positive note, our ferry operators will be recognized for their excellent service. Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you again.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We had an amazing vacation at the morning star resort! Our room was nice! All staff members were exceptionally, friendly and helpful! Especially the Executive Chef Mitch Cooper, he went out of his way to help and please us with our meals!!!We will always be grateful to him!!Thanks for making our stay such a pleasure!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank frimet h
You are most welcome! To be sure, I will pass along your warm regards to Mitch. We hope another stay at Morning Star will be in your 2014 plans.
Birmingham, Michigan
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I was a bit hesitant to stay at this Marriott property, because the reviews were from excellent, good, bad and downright ugly. I just got back and I must say it was great! The views at this hotel are fabulous and the infinity pool that overlooks the ocean is beautiful. I stayed 1 week and I'm a Platinum member with Marriott so the hotel was what I expected from Marriott on an island. The salt water can put some wear and tear on the hotel. The main hotel was updated and the rooms were nice. My room was located in the main hotel on the 7th floor and I had an ocean view room. I could see the cruise ships come and go as well as the sailboats, water taxis, and yachts. Spectacular view! The staff is so friendly. The recreation supervisor Corey Owen went out of his way to make sure we had everything we needed to enjoy the week on the beach. I like to lie out by the pool and on the beach. The reviews are correct when they say get ready to walk, because the beach is a good walk from the main hotel, but you can always take the free shuttle at the hotel. My friend and I didn't mind the exercise and we walked back and forth. The exercise room was busy, but I was able to use any of the machines every day. Shalia at the towel desk always has a smile on her face and was always very helpful when I asked what I should do on the island. We ate lunch at the pool bar and Coco Joe's great mahi mahi fish tacos and Heather at Coco Joes is so friendly and she provided great service! Overall, I had a great experience and yes at dinner you may have to wait for your dinner, but not so long were I went hungry. I guess I was relaxed, because I was on vacation, because I'm usually a typical American...impatient, but not here. I can't wait to go back to St. Thomas, because there are great restaurants and great beaches that I couldn't simply do it all. You have to do an excursion to St. John. Trunk Bay beach on St. John is beautiful! The Locals told me not to pay the activity center for the $95 excursion price and that we should take a $10 taxi ride to the island and the $14 round trip ferry ride, which we did and remember everyone comes back on the 5 p.m., because the Locals are leaving work and they need to get back to Red Hook via the ferry. Hence, we took the 4 p.m. ferry (the ferry leaves every hour on the hour) to alleviate the rush and it was good. I would also suggest The Old Stone Farmhouse for dinner. Great ambiance and great food. I can’t wait to go back to the Island!

Room Tip: I prefer the main hotel because the rooms have been renovated although a far walk to the beach, but...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank onerebecca
What a wonderful review! Thank you so much for sharing all the details that made your vacation great, including specific mentions of team members that stood out. It makes all the difference to the staff knowing they are making a difference. We appreciate it and also can’t wait for your return. Please call ahead so we can welcome you back properly!
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Love this hotel great beach, great pools. What a great location many balconies to check out the view's. The room was beautiful. These pictures I could make beautiful wall hangings. Stunning views. The only negatives are as follows the 35.00 a day activity fee which includes snorkel fins canoe and a few other things. The hotel charges 24.95 for breakfast buffet and 39.00 buffet for evening. Oh if you forgot or couldn't take sunscreen its 20.00 a bottle at hotel or 15.00 downtown.

Room Tip: Get ocean view room with balcony if you can.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandsurfwind
Thank you for pointing out our famous Caribbean views! Indeed, we are located in a prime island spot which makes a great home base for all St. Thomas adventures. Also appreciated is your comment about our resort fee which gives us the opportunity for clarification. The resort fee includes: two bottles of water daily, wireless internet for all devices, use of the Reef Fitness Center and tennis courts, all non-motorized water sports equipment (which saves from having to rent daily), use of beach chairs and umbrellas, shuttle services throughout the resort and discount offers for spa, dining and activities. If any members are planning a stay with us, please feel free to reach out to our pre-arrival team with any questions you have about our resort or reservation. We can also explore all your transportation, activities and dining options. We are here to serve you. Thank you again for sharing your review and we hope to welcome you back soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
#1 of 5 in East End
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
#1 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!