“Great views and sunshine is why u are here, not the room”

Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Great views and sunshine is why u are here, not the room”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

There is no better view any where. This property sits on a point that used to guard the main port of st Thomas. Why? Because of the views. The little pink tower houses the elevator that services the wing that is a feat of engineering. Built in the side of the cliff you overlook the bright blue Caribbean and the approach the cruise ships take to get to at Thomas. We stocked up at the pueblo market in Charlotte Amalie to offset the high Cost of food here. We had a frig and coffee maker. Drank coffee and watched the pilot boat hook up with the big ships and bring them in past the palm trees. Not a real friendly property for people who can't walk a flight if stairs. If you brought plenty of money you never need to leave this resort. 4 restaurants on property, bars, beachside and poolside service will keep u in your sunny seat. Get over the fact that they are double beds, get over the fact that there are tile floors, there is sand on those beaches that is soft and cool on your feet. Even if you go off property you will not find any super deals, it is a small island and this is close to as good as it gets.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Bradzon
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Your enthusiasm for Frenchman’s Reef and St. Thomas is infectious! Thank you! You photos are appreciated too. We look forward to welcoming you back again and again. And don’t forget, we offer a complimentary shuttle every 15 minutes between Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort if you would prefer to ride.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,599)
Boston
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Seeing some of the spoiled babies writing on here I wasn't sure what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised and will give you an honest review. First the people here on staff were genuinely nice people. Service was personable and quick. My room wasn't quite ready when I arrived but I only had to wait one hour. I would recommend packing a bathing suit in your carry-on. I paid for this trip in points but I was treated like I was paying in gold coins and was given a free upgraded room with a gorgeous view of the bay and the lights of Charlotte Amalie at night. The room was nice enough and I didn't smell any mildew. The only hints of anything not perfect were one towel that wasn't quite clean and a single cockroach in the elevator one night. Nothing to go crazy about. I wish that I had checked out the beach at the Cove property sooner in my trip. There is a reef there literally within inches of the beach and the water is calm and shallow - great for kids. They have a trampoline and a slide/climbing pyramid in the water too. They have night kayaking down there in clear kayaks with led's but I wasn't able to book that. The beach at the Reef property, Morningstar, has choppier water. It's not a bad beach but the best beaches are over to the north and east sides of the island. Don't spend all your time at that one - it's not a white sand beach despite what some reviewers on here write. They should fix the beach elevator that is broken. The hotel is up on a cliff so there are steps or elevators down to the beach and one morning I did see a man with an above knee leg amputation having to walk up the steps with a hydraulic prosthetic leg. The property has a lot of iguanas which are cool. The view from their patio is breathtaking by day but especially at night. Plenty of nice food options on site and they keep the main store on property open until 2 am which I love!!! Plan to use taxis or the shuttle to get around. Even though you are in Charlotte Amalie you cannot safely walk to all the action. The roads are too narrow with no sidewalk or shoulder- worse than Bermuda. This does have it's benefits though I guess in keeping the Senor Frogs types away from your kids. This area is good for families with fast food options nearby. Plenty of nice pools on site but with the warm waters of the Caribbean around me I think I only used it once. I would return here and I enjoyed my stay. I travel quite a bit and I had a nice time here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Cartman1968
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your personal impressions of Frenchman’s Reef including the amenities and beaches. These are very helpful for travelers planning to bring their families down here. We would also like to just add one detail for those planning travel. We do offer a shuttle from Frenchman’s Reef to Morning Star Beach (also on property) at 15 minute intervals throughout the day. It can be very convenient for those that would prefer to ride. Also, we invite everyone to contact our pre-arrival team to explore the options with regards to local dining, activities and transportation in addition to all resort information. To this reviewer, thank you again. I am delighted to hear you felt genuinely cared for by our staff and your overall expectations were exceeded. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at Frenchman's Reef at the beginning of April and the weather was absolutely perfect, 80 and sunny everyday. The hotel was great and the staff was extremely friendly. We stayed in an oceanfront room in the "tower" section of the hotel facing the Caribbean which is the only type of room that I would recommend. We met a very nice couple on the resort and we went to their room before dinner one night and their room faced the city on the the other side of the hotel. This section of the hotel has not been updated and had a funky smell. I have seen reviews about this problem when I was looking before we booked our trip and they are true. When you book make sure that you request the tower facing the ocean and you will not have any issues and it will make your vacation even better. The food on the resort is way overpriced and not that great. Because there are not available restaurants within walking distance you are stuck on the resort to eat most of your meals so be prepared for that. Also make sure you bring cash for the cabs. Everywhere you go it will be $20.00 in a cab and like I mentioned, you can't walk anywhere from this location. The pools are GREAT! There are a total of three pools and the beach is awesome! The surroundings are breathtaking and the sunsets beautiful. You will not be disappointed staying at the Frenchman's Reef by any means but be prepared to spend money and walk up and downs a lot of stairs! It is a great property and my husband and I will be back.

Room Tip: Pay for an oceanfront room. It is worth every penny
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lschreib
Great pictures! Thank you for review and adding to our wonderful collection of guest photos here on TripAdvisor. Our page now has over 1,800 pictures of every aspect of our beautiful property. Before your next visit to St. Thomas, please call ahead so we can welcome you back as a returning guest!
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We recently took the family here for spring break. We wish we had heeded the negative reviews! This place is just not even close to being on par with other Marriott properties we've stayed at around the world! One of our two rooms smelled horribly of mildew. We called approx. 6 times to have a roll away bed delivered (even though it had been booked the rooms in Nov of last year and had requested the bed at that time and again at check in). Bed finally arrived at 9:30 that night...it was for our twelve year old and needless to say, he was way past ready for bed since we had been traveling for much of the day and then playing on the beach after that.

The place is in need of paint, general maintenance, and WHAT THE HELL is the deal with that elevator to the beach?!? I read on here that it was out of service quite some time ago....IT STILL IS. If you have ANY physical issues that limit your use of stairs...be prepared to look at the beach from the hotel and not ever set foot on it. The stairway to the beach is very very long!

And don't get me started on the housekeeping! Every single day we would go out and do our vacation thing and then come back to an unmade room. Most days our rooms were not cleaned until nearly 7 pm!!

We were just sadly let down with this place and honestly wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

And please note that this review is from folks who have spent 941 nights in Marriott properties over the last 7 years.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank kerry a
Thank you for your ongoing loyalty to Marriott. Please accept our apologies for our inability to meet your expectations during this recent visit. It is so important to us that all our guests leave with only good memories; we take reviews like yours to heart. Would you be willing to discuss the impressions of your stay further with our leadership team? If so, we would welcome the opportunity to be in direct contact with you and can be reached at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Overall an enjoyable experience. I would recommend staying in the Frenchman's reef vs. Morningstar as it is much more updated. However if you want to step out on the beach vs. having to take a short van ride to it than MorningStar is what you are looking for if you don't mind not having an more dated/less upgraded room. Food and beverage was excellent. It was surprising to us after day one that there was only one restaurant that had Cheese Quesadilla's on it's adult menu and it was only open at night. That is one of my tweens favorite meals. When we asked for it they said it was only on the kids menu therefore they would not serve it and at dinner time were told that we would have to send our kids to the other restaurant to get it since it was only available there on the kids menu. Really?? We ending up ordering something else while we watch kids served this item on the left and right of us. Honestly, as much money as we spent on this vacation if they have a pile of dirt and you want to pay to eat it they should serve it to you!

Room Tip: Rooms at the Frenchman's Reef are much more updated. Would definitely stay there next time.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Lucy994
Thank you for your comments. I enjoyed reading your review and am immediately passing along your important words to our Food and Beverage Director. We’re glad your stay was great despite the frustration with the menus issues; we are looking forward to serving your family again!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

We booked this vacation through Delta Vacations (don't do, but that will be a separate posting) and selected the lowest room class available. The day prior to arriving, I called the property to see if I could pay for an upgrade. I called and talked with Jen at the front desk and she was very helpful and enthusiastic about the chances. I called back to rebook the room five times and no luck, the front desk wasn't answering. Upon arrival, I spoke with Liisa on the Elite Member desk and she said she saw the notes, but nothing was available and our room wasn't ready. The time was 5pm. She gave us a buzzer and suggested we go enjoy a drink at the Sunset bar. We did and Liisa arrived about 30 minutes later with room keys to the upgraded room. The view was spectacular. We looked at the Charlotte Amalie harbor and all the ships transiting.

Our first night we explored the hotel and tried to east at CoCo Joes. Good luck with that. We waited 45 minutes and decided to look elsewhere. We ended up at Aqua Terra for the buffet. It was $29 per adult and $14 per child. The food was a 6.5/10, but at 9pm after traveling all day, anything would have been good.

The Marriott tries to dupe you a bit. There is an information desk in the lobby and the folks are very helpful. Be aware, they are there to help, but to get you signed up for a 90 minute Marriott Vacation Club presentation. I explained we were interested, but then was told the majority of the presentation is really an update on the Marriott Rewards program. Just be aware.

We booked three excursions through Adventure Center. The day sailing trip on the Eden, the evening Cat catamaran happy hour and the see through bottom kayaks (all three were great, but under separate posts). We would recommend them all, but check in with the Adventure Center upon arrival. They are overwhelmed and under staffed.

Be prepared for things being slower, but only at the Marriott. In Charlotte Amalie, we took the hotel's ferry to town and walked around. A shout out to Capt Scott for the safe passage to and from. We ate at Jen's Deli and would highly recommend it. It is a short 1-2 minute walk from the dock. We shopped for the first 2 days at Presto Market on the fourth floor and paid out the nose for wine, soda, etc. in Charlotte Amalie, along the dock by the ships and across the street from Hooters is the Gourmet Gallery. A great, very reasonably priced grocery store. You name it, they had it and some prices were cheaper than home. If you have a car, the go. A taxi ride there more than pays for itself. The walk from the dock was about 3/4 mile or a $12 cab ride (2 adults, 1 child)

The infinity pool is open 24/7, but the bar at the pool closes at 5. We scratched our heads, since the pool was still packed. The hotel is beautiful, but the room needed some TLC.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for this thorough review. I am sincerely happy to hear you were so well taken care of by Lissa and the rest of our team at check-in. We understand that there is no replacement for warm and responsive service. Also appreciated the mentions of the Adventure Center, beauty of the grounds and our ferry service to Charlotte Amalie. Your few suggestions for how we can improve in the areas of rooms, restaurant service times and communications at our information desk are also valuable to our leadership team. We welcome all comments whether positive or negative as they help us grow as a business. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!
raynham
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Had we initially been put in Frenchman's Reef, I'd give this a 4 star review but because we spent 2 of our 6 nights down in Morning Star, I just can't do it! We are platinum Elite Marriott Travelers so upon check in, we were told that we were being "upgraded" ... while we weren't too happy with our accomodations, we figured, it's an upgrade so what is the sense in complaining!

After spending a day down at MOrning Star, we decided to explore the hotel grounds. We went up to Frenchman's Reef, got to talking with one of the Front Desk Associates & learned that the rooms in Frenchman's Reef had been recently renovated & were overall, the "better" place to stay at the resort! I was very disappointed to have been lead to believe that we had been upgraded. Our room at Morning Star was dark, dull, and musty! The floor length mirror on the door was hanging on by a screw sticking out from the bottom of it! The bathroom was VERY DATED!

What a relief to check in to a Frencman's Reef room! it was bright, refreshing, updated & just what we were looking for!

We had a wonderful time at the resort...some of the amazing Staff Members that took care of us were~ Natasha in Loss Prevention, Lauren the Front Office Manager, Junelr our server in the grill, Jose at Coco Joe, Lissa at the front desk and the wonderful 2 ladies that greeted us each morning for Breakfast!

The food at the resort was very good with pretty decent prices too!

We were a little disappointed one night when we went to have dinner in the main dining room but there was really no seating available. We didn't want to eat the buffet but were told if we sat in the main dining room we had to eat the buffet but if we wanted to order off the menu, we'd have to sit in the adjacent lounge area. We happily would have done so however, the only seats available were bar stools literally facing a wall! So, needless to say, we didn't dine there that night!

We took advantage of the hotel's water aerobics program which was so nice, the girl that teaches the classes is wonderful! Also, be sure to take the hotel's "water taxi" to the downtown shopping area, it goes every 1/2 hour!

Overall, great vacation, can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: as I mentioned, be sure to stay in Frenchman's Reef!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank beth s
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Neat photos! You are looking very relaxed! We’re very happy to read your stay ended up at the Frenchman’s Reef and our team was able to facilitate your move. The cabana type rooms at Morning Star are considered an upgrade compared to some rooms at Frenchman’s Reef but we understand that room style is a very personal matter. We appreciate you sharing the details of your experience. Natasha, Lauren, Junelr, Jose and Lissa will be happy they were mentioned as well. Thank you! We are lucky to have a great team here and look forward to serving you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
#1 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!