“Not worth the money”

Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
“Not worth the money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We went here two weeks ago for our honeymoon. We had a first floor condo on Morningstar. room 5116. I've stayed in much nicer rooms for far less money. The air conditioner made so much noise you could forget about a good night's sleep. The food is way overpriced. I understand that it's an list and & logistically getting food there must be a chore, but a basic breakfast for two shouldn't cost $45. The staff is nice enough minus an argument over which beers are considered domestic for happy hour (which is clearly listed on the menu) with the bartender, so after I asked her boss he told me what I already knew & corrected her. Blue Havana restaurant on Morningstar made an unauthorized charge to my credit card which the manager couldn't explain nor could he provide a receipt for the charge - he credited it back to me. I got home & a few days later the same card had fraudulent charges popping up in Miami & Chicago. Too coincidental considering it is a new card & I've never had a fraudulent charge to any of my cards ever before. Best "deal" for lunch is to get a $9 sandwich from one of the on-site markets. Overall the place is scenic enough, but I definitely wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ot_35
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
We hope you will consider staying again! From your description, it sounds like Frenchman’s Reef would me more suited to your taste. Thank you for informing us about your credit card experience at Havana Bleu. We will bring this to the attention of the restaurant manager to review. If there is anything further you would like to discuss regarding your stay, please feel free to reach out to our leadership team at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com and reference this review. We are here to serve you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,555)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife and I recently traveled to St. Thomas for a honeymoon and we decide to stay at the Frenchman's Reef. Our room was a Morningstar beachfront room and although the staff was A+ and I do mean A+ the room was a D-. Our room had a moldy smell, the door to the balcony was broken, the bathtub was stained and dirty, and our bed was frequented by ants on a daily basis. The staff was so good that it hurts me to talk about the property. A really nice guy in guest services who name eludes me found out it was our honeymoon and sent wine and cheese to our room and that is just one example. The food is great the people are better but the property at least on the morning star side fails to meet basic standards.

Room Tip: If your thinking Morningstar think again.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank MrJbcook2786 .
Congrats and thank you for taking the time to mention the excellent service you receive from our team while here. I am sorry to hear that your room caused you inconvenience and with your help, we would like to investigate. If you would be so kind to send an email to sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com and reference this review we can then be in direct contact with you. Most rooms at Morning Star have been updated so it is disconcerting to hear about your experience. We are committed to exceeding your expectations and hope for another opportunity to do so.
Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I'd visited tripadvisor on a few occasions to make my choice of where I wanted to spend my birthday. I must say that I am happy that I chose the Frenchman's Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort. From the time I arrived at the hotel until the time I checked out I was very impressed. You could really see that they renovated the property and it was money well spent. I had a few small issues with the room but once I notified the front desk they rectified the issues promptly. Having lived in Hawaii, Germany and NY, I really did not see that the food was expensive although that seemed to be some of the complaints from other reviews. When making your room selections, the best choice is a high floor with an ocean view. I was able to make a daytrip to St John and was able to book it and leave from the dock at the hotel. I can say St Thomas was an excellent choice for my birthday celebration.

Room Tip: High floors facing the ocean are good for scenic views in the morning. Choose a room away from the o...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Tina D
Happy Birthday! We appreciate the addition of your wonderful St. Thomas trip photos to our collection and hear your satisfaction with your visit. Your impressions are meaningful.
Kensington, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Dave and Suki were awesome! It was amazing. I would do everything there again in a heartbeat. The hotel was clean, the staff was friendly, and everyone there was truly happy. I'd love to go back soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Taylor D
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
: We hope to welcome you back again soon too! Thank you for taking the time to give Marriott Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort your two thumbs up!
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Chris, Dave and nick were awesome! They told the group some cool facts and history while we watched fish, turtles, and sting rays through our clear bottom kayak! We had some free time at the end to kayak anywhere we had already been and that ended up being our favorite part - we had a turtle right below us that swam up for air right next to our kayak then swam all around our kayak before heading back down. It was perfect! We definitely recommend this adventure :)

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Katie D
One of the great things about doing a tour through the Adventure Center is the quality of the guides. We highly recommend this tour which leaves right from our new resort dock each evening. It does fill up so be sure to book in advance. Thank you for sharing your experience!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I stayed here with my husband on June 24th to July 2. I was checked in by Tanesha & Antonneite, very lovey, friendly ladies. I also had the pleasure of meeting Sharon the executive assistant, she was very sweet and helpful, we absolutley loved her! We were in the SeaCLiff tower, we had a beautiful view of the ocean.
Andrew from loss prevention very nice guy as well.

The property is very lovely, the pools have a scenic view of the ocean, the poolside bar is very cool to.
The Sunset Grill Restaurant the servers are all very nice, but they were out of oysters most the time. So call them in advance if you really want them, like my hubby did!!
Defintely, try their Rum Punch at check in from 2pm to 5pm I believe.

They guys at bellstand were all helpful and super nice too! They gave good recommedations.

Heads up, on this island you have to pay for a taxi per person!! So if you want to go into town it's $6.00 per person and further out $8.00 to $12.00 per person. It adds up quickly.

Cuzzins Restaurant is a must, their OXTAIL is SO GOOD!! YOU have to Eat their RUM CAKE, its OMG delicious!!
The GreenHouse very popular place, their coconuts bites really good. Petra the server was aewsome!
MIMS seafood was totally overpriced and not so great. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Room Tip: SeaCliff Tower has best view of the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Melissa R
Thank you for these great island tips! These kind of comments are always so helpful to members planning to visit. Tanesha, Antoinette, Sharon and Andrew will all be recognized for outstanding service. We sincerely enjoy having you as guests and look forward to your return. Be sure to call ahead of your next visit!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

What an asset he is to your management team. He greeted us on the first day of a 5 day stay and he was a helpful stewart the entire time. He's warm, friendly and helpful. He made my friend and I feel like VIP's the entire trip. When I observed him while lounging In the lobby, he just had a way with people. He greets everyone like an old friend. Thanks Kurt!

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for letting us know Kurt exemplified the Marriott spirit. He will be recognized for his outstanding service.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,188 reviews

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!