Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Tamarac, Florida
“Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Nice resort, pricey. My husband had ordered room service and the food was really bad so he complained to mgmt. who offered him a free meal with him on the next visit. When we got there, he didn't want anything to do with us. We travel there frequently, so it was a bit disappointing. The rooms are very nice, however there is a spiral staircase to the bedroom, so if you drink I would not recommend going up that staircase, it is very narrow and spirals sharply. The pool was crowded, and the poolside drinks were expensive.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask or ocean front room, ours was parking lot view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank penny135
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort! I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post this good review which also gives our leadership team the opportunity of improving our service to you. If there is anything further you would like to share about your visit directly, please reach out to us at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com and reference this review. And before your next trip here, please let us know if there is anything we can assist with.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,555)
Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband and two young children (ages 4 and 6) decided to take a week long leisure vacation this summer. Despite the conflicting reviews, I booked this resort for its views and Marriott loyalty. On the same day of our arrival, I regret my decision. We were given Morning Star room 5523 but requested to pay for an upgrade in order to stay at the Reef for the convenience of the main tower facilities….”not possible” said the front desk. So we took our initial room and were happy to begin our vacation. BIG MISTAKE, the fold out bed was stained, ceiling dirty, dingy bathroom tile, moldy smell, dusty vents and poor paint job. I attempted to call the front desk to speak to a manager and after 3 disconnected calls, 2 transfers to the wrong line and 2 messages…we received NO RESPONCE. So to release some frustration we headed to the pool. Upon our returned we found ourselves locked out of our room. Apparently the key had deactivated which caused us to sit in wet suits on the stairs for about 30 minutes before we got into our room. Six hours into our arrival, my husband had a huge issue with the lack of customer services and deplorable room conditions, so he physically went to the lobby and requested to speak to the manager on duty. Thanks to Kurk at the front desk, we were put in a different room in the main tower immediately, Room 1450. This room was located in the first floor and had ocean views! According to the multimillion dollar renovation this property recently had, we should not have had this issue. Our new room was in better condition but would not merit higher than a 3 ½ star. Overall, property still needs further repairs and renovations throughout. I would NOT stay here again or recommend it to one.
After our room change, our family had a great time in St. Thomas. Public areas were nice and they made great use of highlighting the great views. The stairs from the Reef to the beach were manageable, even to my 4 year old. NO kids club as indicated in several of the signs posted up. If you want to head to the cove for the day, there is a shuttle and you must take your own towels from the Reef. Coki beach offered great and easy snorkeling for young kids. St. John is a must do. While there we headed to Cinnamon Bay which offered showers, bathroom a small convenience store, and restaurant.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room at the Morning Star, rooms are in terrible shape!
2 Thank love2travel79
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your detailed review. We never want any guest to feel disappointment with their room assignment so on behalf of the team, I apologize. Although many of our members do enjoy Morning Star Resort for the proximity to the beach and cabana style lodging, we recognize that resort style is a personal choice. I regret we were not able to exceed your expectations with regards to the renovations. We want to make sure you are pleased with every aspect of your stay and I am glad that Kurt was able to assist you. Thank you again for adding this helpful detail. Although your overall experience was mixed, we appreciate you pointing out the benefits of staying at Frenchman’s Reef in addition to your traveler tips. If another trip to St. Thomas is on your family’s agenda, please call ahead so we can ensure your room assignment will be completely satisfactory.
Paducah, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We went to this resort as part of a business travel trip. we were assigned a room in one of the towers overlooking the beach below. Great view.The rooms are pretty dated as this is an older hotel. But it is the best one on the island. There are other options on the island but most are B & Bs. The service there is like any other beach resort, a bit slow but very good none the less. The only reason i didn't give it higher reviews was there is something like 80 steps to the beach down a winding concrete staircase. But being perched on a cliff has its advantages..The view is unlike any other we have encountered. You can take a water ferry to do some shopping and take in the local fare. All in all great trip and very good hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for naming Frenchman’s Reef as the best hotel on St. Thomas. You picked the right hotel for business!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I want to thank a Leah, the front desk manager, for making our trip much more enjoyable. Leah you are excellent example of true customer service. Myrtle at Coco Joes was wonderful. Ask for her when eating at this establishment. Yvonne was great too. We looked forward to seeing her everyday. Dee at the pool bar was awesome. The above people made this trip an awesome experience.

I must say that Mone at the Coco Joes gift shop was the rudest person we have met. Ugh...stay away. The Marketplace within the tower was much better and the staff were friendly.

The food at the hotel was very expensive and for the most part service was very poor!

The grounds of the hotel were beautiful. The standard rooms could use some updating.

1 Thank K B
We really appreciate the thought you put into your comments. Thanks for acknowledging Leah, Myrtle, Yvonne and Dee and giving our leadership team feedback as well. It is always so nice to hear compliments of our team members and of course, our beautiful hotel grounds. Many places of the property, especially the walk between Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star can feel like a tropical paradise. We hope your travels will bring you to St. Thomas again very soon!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I recently got married at the Marriot Fenchmans Reef on St Thomas. We worked with, what turned out to be, a horrible travel agency ( from home)- that will be another review!

First, let me start with Kate Atwell, my wedding planner at the resort. I Honestly can't say a negative thing about her. Not knowing her or the resort, and planning our wedding there was a bit scary at first. Kate immediately put us at ease, responding quickly to emails or phone calls, going out of her way to ensure everything was perfect. By the time the wedding came, I felt like we were old friends! My wedding was spectacular! I honestly couldn't have asked for anything more. I highly recommend Kate Atwell when planning an event. She truly listened to what we wanted and did what she could to ensure it did.
We did the all inclusive package, which was well worth it if you enjoy good food and cocktails!
We had roughly 35 people join us at the resort. The travel agency failed to book a room for my cousin and made mistake on rooms within our block. The hotel was BOOKED solid. The front desk staff at FR was excellent at resolving this issue. Lissa went out of her way to ensure my cousin received a room, and a nice room at that! Lissa, O'Rhys, and Antoinette Gomez were there everyday to answer any questions, deal with some of our impatient family members and ALWAYS smiling and waving as we walked by. Our experience with the resort on the whole was incredible. All of the staff throughout the resort were very friendly, welcoming and accommodating.
The rooms, lobby, restaurants, etc were all very clean. The pools were incredible!

We also did the CAT turtle cove sail and snorkel! So much fun! Captain joe and his staff were very funny and friendly!
I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
This is fantastic to hear! Thank you for choosing Frenchman’s Reef for this very important occasion. Congratulations! I will be sure to pass along your generous words to Kate, Lissa, O’Rhys and Antoinette for outstanding service. I am so pleased everything was perfect for you.
Powell, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

The Property:
Clean! very nice WOW factor upon your arrival.. see Antoinette at the desk! Breakfast is a must start for the day Buffet is the best deal fill up as food is expensive. Pools are great but don't go! Go to the beach!!! water is wonderful, sand is great and I can go to a pool anywhere.
Tip your house keeping staff (it's not necessary) however they went the extra mile for a few dollar tip each day!
Taxi's are expensive so rent a car there' plenty of parking, listen to the Marriott Vacation Club pitch to save a couple bucks on the "The Cat" trip that was fun. I found the Financial guy Mark kinda snoby.
But the resort over all was wonderful!!!

Room Tip: Push for an Ocean Tower room as the view is awesome and you have a nice breeze
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the five star ratings and recommendations! Our leadership team appreciates the mention of Antoinette, so we can give her special recognition. We hope another visit will be in your plans this year!
Attica, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife and I spent 5 nights at the resort in late July. Staff was extremely friendly and very helpful with any questions or issues you may have addressed immediately. We stayed in the Cliff Towers 4th floor, which had a view east at the Morningstar Beach and tennis courts. It was not a bad view but if you are on lower floors your view would be limited. The rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable. The resort has about 5 restaurants on site with various foods. Since my wife and I are plain jane eaters we would have liked to see an all American restaurant (pizza, hamburger, fries, ect). The Morningstar Beach was not bad but has extremely rough waves. All in all, the resort was very nice with friendly staff which I would have no problem staying here again, myself.

Room Tip: If they put you in the Cliff Towers the view will be limited on any floor below floor #4.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
It is with pleasure that I read your review. Thank you for letting us know that the service you experienced, combined with your satisfaction with dining and accommodations has inspired your desire to stay again. This is the best compliment for us!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,188 reviews

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!