After a long flight from Seattle and arriving at our hotel, the Marriott Frenchman's reef, we were relieved. We had just had our wedding and were starting a 10 day honeymoon trip. We couldn't have been happier. We walked into the beautiful hotel lobby and waited in line for 10 minutes to check in at the front desk, and met the single worst customer service representative we've ever experienced.
This lady was not present and I don't know how she got a job as front desk attendant. She was not friendly, not communicative, not welcoming. We were told our room was not ready and would be paged when it was. We were also told we would have to put a $1000 deposit down on our credit card as well as a $1800 charge to cover the nights on our trip that weren't being covered by Marriott points. $35 daily resort fees, $200 and $250 nightly room charges we were told. We asked if we could just see where all these charges were, as we were a little shocked we would have to pay $2800 to check in which we were NOT prepared to pay. She gave us no answer and we asked to speak with a manager. She said yes I'll go get one, she left, talked on a phone and came back. No manager, no saying, "sorry he is not available or he will be here shortly". She again tried to explain the charges but it was the same frustrating explanation which made no sense. No room, no clear explanation for anything, and $2800 due to check in. We left to get lunch at the sunset grill during which time reflected on how terrible of an impression this was on our arrival.
After eating we went back to the front desk to speak with someone else other than the first lady we dealt with. Someone who knew how to communicate. We met a lady named Lissa, who was GREAT to work with. I give her name here because she went out of her way to help us and smooth things out from the first lady. Lissa explained that the $2800 charges due were totally incorrect and she did not know why we had been given that number. We would owe $1200 in room charges and a $200 deposit. A very different number than the first one we were given. Also we were told we would were supposed to be moved to different rooms during our stay, which meant we would have to pack up and move on several occasions. Lissa overrode this and gave us a good room to stay in for the 10 days.
After being totally upset by the first lady, we were at least relieved to get a room and settle in.
We are not nit-picky, we are very friendly people who have realistic expectations. There are certain things we expect when we travel to a high end resort that one would think should be geared towards creating a relaxing, easy "Island" experience. After about 5 days of moving on from the first debacle, I decided to inquire about the status of our room charges. I just wanted to see how much we had spent on meals, drinks, ect. This brought me back to the front desk, where again I had to wait 10-15 minutes to talk with the ONE person who was working there.
That one person of course was the original lady we had dealt with the first day. She was again cool, unfriendly, and had no communication skills. I asked to have our room charges printed out to just check them. On the charges (unfortunately not to our surprise) many errors/questions. There were duplicate daily resort fees, so instead of $35 daily, it was $70 daily on random days, on other days it was $45--all should have been $35. We also wanted just a total of what we had spent, which I clearly explained to this lady, and the list did not show this. She gave it to me, I said thank you and she said nothing. Where is the professionalism lady?? I've had friendlier customer service at the DMV.
When we again realized we would have to talk to someone else at the front desk due to the errors shown on the bill and the frustration of dealing with the one lady, we were approached by the lobby master. He told us we could speak with the manager, which we said YES, that would be great. He went to find him, and came back 10 minutes later and said he was in a meeting. We came back several hours later to meet with the manager. The lobby master got us in touch with "a manager'. This lady was just as unfriendly as the other front desk lady! No eye contact, no warmth. We said we would like to have some explanation on the charges on our room.
She gave no response and typed into her computer for 5 minutes without saying a thing to us. My wife and I were blown away again. She finally said, "Ok the charges have been corrected". We asked if she could explain what the problem was, she simply said, "system error".
I don't know if these hotel staff are simply burned out or if they hate their jobs, or if they hate dealing with people staying at the hotel, but it has been truly a let down staying here on several occasions.
If you want to drink at an infinity pool all day and eat mediocre food, this place would be great. When it costs $30 round trip by taxi to go to Charlotte Amalie to eat better food, you are kind of trapped to eat the hotel food. To make it worse, it is as expensive as it is mediocre.
The beach at Morning star is great, the food at coco-joes the best for your money on site and the pool is beautiful. Some hotel staff are very friendly such as the people working the towel counter, the room service and some lobby staff.
We will not come back, and will not recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded on three sides by stunning Caribbean ocean views, Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort combines modern luxury and the unique Virgin Island style of St. Thomas. Our US Virgin Islands hotel in St. Thomas features clean, crisp large guest rooms with flat screen 50" TVs. Experience new resort features including an infinity pool, children's splash zone, adult infinity pool with bar; and private spa pool. Our Lazule Sea Spa is now open featuring extensive treatment rooms, salon, state of the art fitness center, and private spa pool with cabanas. Aqua Terra is one of three restaurants at Frenchman's Reef which features spectacular views of the Charlotte Amalie harbor. Our mission is to host you brilliantly... To make your every event and stay with us unforgettable and effortless. Come visit us at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort and discover the most luxurious vacation destination in the US Virgin Islands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Kognitiv US Corp, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Frenchman`s Reef & Morning Star Beach Hotel Charlotte Amalie
- Marriott Frenchman`s Reef And Morning Star Beach Resort
- Marriott Charlotte Amalie
- Charlotte Amalie Marriott
- Marriott Frenchmans Reef
- Frenchmans Reef St Thomas
- Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort St. Thomas/Charlotte Amalie