“Not up to Marriott standards!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort

Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Chattanooga,TN
“Not up to Marriott standards!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

First the staff for the most part did try hard, but they didn't have much help. On Saturday night when the line at the registration desk was all the way back to the door....one person was working.
There was a mix up with our reservation. The room that we were in was really old, loud air conditioning noise, bathroom was old and hopefully just stained. We requested a roll away 3 times! We waited several times for towels that were "in the dryer"? The prices are way to high at the restaurants, but u r captive unless u want to add $15-$20 for a taxi to a different area. The staff at the restaurants were wonderful and extremely helpful even though they were overworked. The beach is amazing and pools were always beautiful.

Room Tip: get a room with a view on the top or the air conditioner will keep awake and u won't hear the o...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Donna1001
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for the beach photos, compliments of our staff for wonderful service and mentioning your delight with the infinity pools and beach. We hope you will visit again so we can assign you to a room which will match your other impressions. Feel free to reach out to our leadership team at attfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com so we can manage your next reservation.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,533)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Great recent 9 night stay with my wife and 3 kids, daughter 17, daughter 15, and son 11, very nice large room with a view of the harbor, several swimming pools / hot tubs to choose from, not to mention the 2 beaches to choose from, my kids, wife and I loved it...a special shout goes out to the help and outstanding service / local information provided by O'Rhys who checked me in after a long flight.

The free welcome rum punch in the lobby did not hurt either...as a Marriott Platinum Elite Member I would strongly recommend this hotel (and other surrounding properties, Cove and Morningstar resort) to my fellow travelers...

Room Tip: Top level, Frenchman's Reef harbor view rooms are the best!!!
Norwalk, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Wonderful place for St. Thomas. Resort restaurants and bars are overpriced for American food (perhaps you like that....) The staff are WONDERFUL! Stayed at the MorningStar Resort.

I believe that a daily $15 charge for internet is embedded in a daily resort fee.

Arrived on SAT. Internet worked from MON 12PM - TUE 12PM.

This is so annoying! And I am paying for this (crikey, Hampton Inns do not charge for internet access.... Only Marriotts still do).

And the beach hut..... all the other staff are so helpful and friendly.....

APPARENTLY, all the resort Ne'er do wells are assigned to the beach hut...

I mean, really... the beach towels are crap, and you get the 3rd degree to get them.

"You are only allowed 2 crap towels a day per room...." (OK, he did not say crap).

"I have my wife, and a baby in my room... Are you saying I cannot have 3 towels????"

4 Thank Thomas C
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
I appreciate your candor. We are immediately making corrections at our towel counters; thank you for bringing this to my attention. Also, I am very sorry for your internet connectivity issues. This is not common but we recognize how important this is to any hotel experience. I am reviewing your comments with the engineering team to determine what the problem might be or if it was due to weather issues. Based on your enjoyment of our location and compliments of the service you received, we hope you will visit again and are confident we can provide the kind of experience our reputation is built upon. Before your next stay, please reach out to our leadership team at attfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com so we can manage your reservation and room assignment in a personalized manner. Thank you.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Experienced night kayaking the other night during my stay here and it was AWESOME. such a worthwhile experience. We were recommended to do so at the Adventure center and they helped us sign up for everything very easily. Our guides were Maggie, Nick, and Dave and they were all super cool people, very knowledgeable, and extremely helpful! I would definitely recommend this activity if you're staying here!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ted L
Thank you for recommending the Adventure Center’s Night Kayak Tour. We’re glad it was awesome! For those planning travel you can book this activity here on-site or their website. It launches right from our dock and is great fun.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I stayed at the Marriott Resort in St. Thomas (Marriott Frenchman’s Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort) and it was anything less than a positive and warm experience:
• Shower was not properly cleaned (there was still hair from a previous guest on the shower walls and on the floor)
• We ordered room service for breakfast one morning. Upon bringing the food, we asked if we should call when we are finished for them to collect the tray and plates. The lady said to just leave the tray outside our room door and they will collect it, there was no need to call since it was early and housekeeping hadn’t even been to our room. We ate breakfast, got ready for a few hours at the beach, and left the tray outside our hotel room door. Needless to say, when we returned in mid-afternoon, the tray was still there covered with ants and other insets. Housekeeping did in fact come and clean the room; however, no one bothered to collect the tray. It was absolutely disgusting!
• Our room was not ready, and we had a snorkeling excursion booked. The Morning Star section of the property (where the room was) said they would hold onto our bags while we went out and the room would be ready once we returned. My options at that time was to either carry the cash I had on me (about $500) – which I didn’t think was a good idea since I would be in the water the entire time snorkeling and not sure how safe my money would be – or to leave it in my purse that was INSIDE my carry-on bag. I was possibly way too trusting of the workers in the property. I figured it was luxury Marriot property – and my things would not be touched. Boy was I wrong! We came back from snorkeling, collected our luggage, checked into our room, and unpacked. Needless to say the $500 was missing!!!! I could not tell you how shocked I was. I went to the front desk, filed a report with Marriot Security, AND even waited 2 hours for the local police department to come to file a report with them. The individual(s) who stored our luggage placed it into the office (NOT out front with the other luggage where there is a security camera!!). I asked more than ten times for Marriot security to go review the security camera footage from their office. To my surprise – there was NO security camera!!!!!

We were given the run-around by Marriot for the remainder of our stay. The property manager and security manager both said it was a “large dollar amount” so they couldn’t just refund me the money. I had to go through corporate claims. The ONLY person who seemed remotely shocked and had empathy was the hotel manager Juan. He did all he could to make us feel safe and secure (although he couldn’t authorize the credit back to us). Outside of Juan, no one seemed remotely concerned about this theft. In addition, WHY were my bags placed in their office with NO cameras?!!!!! No one seemed bothered by that.

Corporate Claims FINALLY got back to me and even after sharing all the information with them, even the police report number I had filed – apparently they could not PROVE someone took my cash. The lady even told me it would have been better to tell the front desk I had $500 in cash in my luggage
• As a result of the incident above, my friend and I did not feel safe staying at the Marriott for our last night. So we spoke with the manager, Juan, who understood our situation, and cancelled the last night WITHOUT penalty. Or so we thought. A few weeks later I check my credit card bill, and there is a $407 charge from the Marriot. I called to inquire what it was regarding – since I already had $500 stolen from me there and couldn’t afford another $407. Apparently I was charged for the night I didn’t stay there that was cancelled – and the cancellation fee was the cost of an entire night. After being transferred a few times, I was finally able to speak to someone from accounting – who verified my story with Juan – and promised they would reverse the charge. 15 days pass….. the charge is still on my account. I called again and the person was just clueless as why it was not processed. And finally a few days later I got the credit back.
• This hotel is not filled with nice, friendly, accommodating people. When you ask them questions, it always felt like you were bothering them. No smiles on their faces as they greet their guests. And definitely NO SENSE OF CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!! This experience has turned me off to all Marriott’s!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
5 Thank lilly123570
Thank you for your feedback. I am so sorry you had to experience this during your vacation and feel as if the service at the resort was inconsistent. I have spoken to Juan and mentioned these comments, recommended to review your reservation and use this incident to as an opportunity to improve our service. If there is anything further you would like to discuss, please feel free to contact him through the front desk or send an email to our leadership team at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com (and reference this review). Thank you again for staying with us and posting your helpful review.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Keep in mind you are on island time when you are staying in the Caribbean. When we got to the hotel it took 45 minutes for our two rooms to be ready. There was a mix up with the rooms and we received free breakfast at Aqua Terra. Next we found a bug in the room and the next day was moved a room on in the main tower. Every issue was taken care of with the hotel staff. Overall the property is beautiful and the pools are awesome. Frenchman's Reef rooms really AREN'T that far from Morningstar beach. It was more like a 5 minute walk.

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor. Views are so pretty watching the cruise ships come in
      Location
1 Thank Kyla E
We appreciate you letting us (as well as the TripAdvisor community) know any issue you experienced while our guest was promptly taken care of. We hope you visit our beautiful property again soon!
Kingwood
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

My family and I recently vacationed on St. Thomas, USVI and stayed at The Marriott Frenchman's Reef Resort. It was the best vacation ever!!! We have two young boys and the resort is very family friendly. The staff is fantastic too. Especially, Shalia Moolenaar and Yvonne Carley. These nice ladies were in charge of the daily kids activities. My boys really enjoyed these daily activities. One day of our trip was rained out due to TS Bertha and Shalia and Yvonne set up movies, board games, and the xbox in the downstairs ballroom for all families to enjoy. Shalia even played UNO with us! It was so fun despite the bad weather that day. We really enjoyed getting to know Shalia and Yvonne. They were both so caring and helpful during our vacation! The hotel has lots of amenities that are available for families as well. Also, the adventure center located inside the hotel was very helpful in setting up our safari/snorkeling tour to St. John. It was a blast!! In addition, the director of security, Scott, is such a nice person. He is GREAT at his job!!! This truly is a beautiful island and wonderful hotel. We miss it already, but are so thankful for the memories and friends that we made! ☀️

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Lovebug1978
Thank you for the glowing review of Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort. I am very happy to hear your family enjoyed their time especially in light of the storm. I will let Shalia and Yvonne know they made friends and helped you make unforgettable memories. We look forward to welcoming you back to St. Thomas again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,629 reviews

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!