“Business & Beauty”

GreenLeadersGold level
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Business & Beauty”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I stayed here because I was working on St. Thomas & St. Croix. The property is very nice and the staff were incredibly friendly & helpful. Despite working long hours, I was able to enjoy the lobby bar & listen to the steel drum band. The bartender, an ex-pat, was great. He engaged in friendly conversation and made great cocktails. One day when I nearly avoided a serious work injury, he was there to listen & make me something to forget the day.

The rooms are very nice & comfortable. I had a partial ocean-view room, that I did not dare show a picture from to my wife & son until my last day.

I would recommend staying here to anyone and I hope to return for work, or even better, for pleasure in the near future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Fantastic review title and photo! We’re pleased we were able to provide everything you needed to be comfortable doing business and to relax when the day was done. The Rum Bar is great for winding down at sunset. We look forward to welcoming you (and hopefully your wife and son) back to St. Thomas!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,582)
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We are Marriott timeshare owners and have stayed at many Marriotts across the world. Please see my review of the Frenchmans cove as well.

My wife and I recently stayed at this property for one night before a weeklong stay at the Frenchman's Cove. We were on the grounds multiple times.

We arrived on the late American Airlines flight. We arrived at hotel at about 10:30 pm.

We beat most of the others on the flight when we arrived. There was one person talking with the receptionist. She was having some type of problem with the bill. There apparently was nobody else to help and they struggled with a problem for some time. We waited almost 30 minutes. When they were finally done we were called up and a drunk, petulant woman ran in front of us. The receptionist handled this poorly and tried to discuss some issue with her for about 10 minutes. A long line had grown behind us getting more upset. We finally checked in. Our check in took about 3minutes. We never saw anybody else come to help the desk clerk.

Our room was typical. The temp in our room was not very cool. We turned down the A/C. The unit was a little loud. Room was a little run down. Bathroom showed some mildew.

Buffet breakfast in AM was good. Service acceptable. We walked the grounds. Hotel is in a stunning spot. Great views and pools. Hundreds of iguanas. Access to a good beach. In some places trash was overflowing receptacles from night before. Areas of building need new paint and are run down.

We did come back the next night to have cocktails and dinner. The bartender was almost rude and not very engaging. Food and drinks OK, but considering price, not worth it.

Overall it could be a nice place to be for a couple and or family if you get a good deal, but for the price my expectations were a little higher. Not quite up to the usual Marriott quality, especially in terms of personel and upkeep.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Welcome to St. Thomas! We appreciate the feedback of your night with us including highlights of the views, pool and location. We strive to provide a tropical resort experience which provides the comforts of home, superior amenities and warm hospitality. This includes an efficient check-in and check-out experience. Please accept our apologies for the lack of personnel at the desk when you arrived. Your comments are valuable and I look forward to sharing them with our leadership team. There is always room for improvement and comments like yours do help us grow as a business. We are sorry this visit did not exceed your expectations. In that vein, we would relish a second opportunity to win your loyalty. If there is anything further you would like to discuss, feel free to email our experience team at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com and reference this review. Thank you again for your impressions, including the recognition of our potential.
Temple, Texas
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I stayed at the Marriott FR July 2014, with a small group. We had the all-inclusive meal/beverage plan. I want to let everyone know this is not your typical AI resort. There are not long buffet lines with old snack foods under a heat lamp. This is a true upgrade from the normal AI experience.
Guests order from the menu....anything they would like. All drinks (except for wine by the bottle) are included. The service was excellent and the food was wonderful.
Please note that you will receive a "bill", which you sign, which is only for the hotel's accounting system. When you check out at the end of your stay, the $0 food bill is delightful!

We had a wonderful time and made many happy memories.

Room Tip: Water view rooms are wonderful!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank shanashe
Great recommendations! For those who may be planning a stay, you can learn more about the options for dining on the Marriott website. Also, feel free to call our pre-arrival team here at the property to explore offerings at each restaurant. Thank you!
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Recently visited this hotel along with my daughter. From the time we walked in to check out the experience was GREAT!!!! Room service the restaurants were all great service. We had a food server Ms. Antoinette, was a pleasant woman and treated us like family. Our room was in the Sea Cliff and it was beyond quite.. The ocean was beautiful and pool was clean. I was totally pleased.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
We sincerely enjoyed having you as our guest and appreciate the glowing recommendation. I will be sure to let Antoinette know her service was recognized. We hope you and your daughter will visit often!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

My partner/wife and I stayed at this resort for five nights starting 9.22.2014.

The first night was extremely disappointing. However, the front desk and staff more than compensated for the inconvenience.

Although we paid for a Royal Suite, the room was not available the first night of our stay. Instead we were booked into a ocean view room.

The next day, we were informed our room was ready. The room we were expecting was the Royal Suite; a bi-level suite overlooking the harbor with a spiral staircase.
However, much to our delight, the suite we received was what appeared to be the best suite at the resort! The suite was called the "Premiere Suite". Not only was it bi-level, but it also had two verandas, a sauna, a whirlpool a full kitchen (except a microwave), book shelves and both upstairs and downstairs bathroom.

Also, the verandah views were incredible.

In addition, housekeeping did a fantastic job with cleaning and the room service staff were consistently friendly and amiable.

The only two drawbacks were:
1) The room acoustics; sounds ranging from housekeepers speaking outside to our neighbors phone and the elevator can be heard and are amplified.

2) The unfriendly rental team on the beach.

In spite of these drawbacks, we were very happy with our experience at this resort.

Last but not least, I wish to give a very special thanks to
Sidonne Fabie for going above and beyond to ensure that the initial 1st night disappointment
was rectified beyond all anticipations.

Also, thanks to Jacklyn with the in room service team and Antionette Gomez at the front desk for their heart- felt courtesy.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sistah1
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
I am so very pleased we were able to exceed your expectations! Our leadership team will recognize Sidonne, Jacklyn and Antoinette for service excellence.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

We are currently here with our family and we are greatly disappointed with the resort. The front desk are nice and helpful, but i cant that say about most of the employees on this resort. Most people here have the biggest attitude and they are not professional. The front desk did put us in the new wing when we put in the request. We were enjoying ourselves by the pool with our beer and a security guard came out with his flashlight and flashed at our faces like we were criminals. He then started yelling at us and told us to get out. Mind you the pool is open 24 hours. There's a better way to tell your guests that we were not allow to have bottles in the pool. Is this a proper way of treating your guests? The marriot really need to train their staff properly. The hotel is old and the pools are small. They are stingy with their beach towels. You have to exhange a card in order to get 2 towels, if you lose your card they will fine you 25 dollars. The guys at the towel stand were rude, they acted like we were going to steal the towels. We were offered 100 resort credit and couldn't figure out if it was daily or per reservation. I asked twice and i got two different answers. The wifi on the resort is slow and spotty. Why would you charge us 45 dollar resort fee a day when the wifi is not even working properly?I do not recommend this hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing the challenges you experienced as our guest. Please accept our apology for the communication misunderstandings outlined. If another vacation brings your family back to St. Thomas you can reach out to our experience team at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com before your visit. I would like our leadership to manage your reservation in a personalized manner. Thank you again for staying with us.
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Our family of 3 just came back from a 5 night stay at the Frenchman's Reef. We stayed in a Harbor Suite with the Harbor View (Room 4218). The view was beautiful both in the morning and night. I originally had booked a Morning Star room to be near the beach for half the price, but after reading so many awful reviews about the room conditions in that part of the resort, I re-booked it to the suite on the Reef side. The suite itself was a decent size. However, there a few things about the room that definitely did not make this a Category 8 hotel.

1) The shower was a complete mystery in terms of design. The entrance to the shower has a downward slant so when you showered all of the water would flow into the bathroom in front of the sink. The shower head itself was broken so the water sprayed everywhere from the neck where it screwed in. It was apparent this malfunction had occurred awhile ago since the ceiling paint had already started peeling off due to constantly being wet. There was also mold on the ceiling as well. I understand the issues with condensation/moisture and the difficulty of trying to keep things dry and preventing mold, but this was a preventable situation. I grew up on an island in the Pacific so am I am very familiar with these conditions.

2) The sink in the bathroom was so tiny. It was probably at most a 36 inch vanity. I would expect that a Fairfield Inn or Courtyard level property, but not a Category 8 hotel suite room. In addition, the bottom of the sink wasn't covered so the pipes were all exposed. I think even buying a standard set at Home Depot would have been better.

3) The room was tiled with a huge rug covering in the living room. However, the tiles that were exposed were chipped, cracked and had stains on them.

Our check-in process wasn't as horrendous as some of the reviews here. We got in and beat the flood that came in literally 15 minutes behind us. The lines had formed quickly, but we had already checked-in. We had got to the hotel at 1pm so of course the room wasn't ready. We took the buzzer and headed to the pool to relax since we knew check-in was at 4. By 3:10pm our room was ready! I asked one of the guys in front to help me bring all our bags into our room since my husband was at the pool with our son. He (Kristopher) was very helpful and friendly.

The pools on the property were great. It was never overly crowded and my son had a great time in the infinity pool. The man-made beach was decent, but definitely rocky in some parts since it wasn't natural. The gear was free with the resort fee so we took advantage of that, but there was really nothing to see in the ocean there. It was just nice to ride the waves with the boogie boards. We encountered two servers at the pool/beach during our stay. One was great and smiling all the time and came around often and the other one rarely smiled and we'd have to hunt her down. Perhaps she was just tired and hot since she was the only server at all times? Her name was Amanda. I can't remember the other friendly server - she was blonde and super though!

Every morning we ate at Aqua Terra. The breakfast food was decent and had the normal "American" breakfast spread. We thought it was odd they didn't have pancakes at the buffet. However on day 3 we finally asked and our waitress said we could order it and they'd make it in the back so we did. We had Antoinette as our waitress most mornings and she was great. She came around often if we needed anything more and didn't rush us. She definitely was deserving of the 20% tip every morning and the type of person you want to be greeted by in the morning. The lady who made the omlettes was also super friendly and great.

All in all we didn't encounter any nasty staff as some have. Some may have not been friendly, but no one was straight out rude. It was apparent that perhaps some staff should get out of the hospitality industry if they had trouble being hospitable, but I suppose that can happen anywhere. I think when we head back to STT next year we will probably shop around to see if other resorts have rooms in better conditions and better food. All the menus consisted of burgers, etc. I wish they would have some local food on the menus too - we can eat burgers anytime on the mainland. The location was great though. Easy to get to Coki Beach or downtown or Red Hook, etc.

BTW - ladies bring your hair dryer if you have long hair like me. The one in the bathroom is useless unless you want to spend 1 hr drying your hair. Mine wouldn't even turn on the 2nd day!

I love STT in general though! Totally reminds me of home!

Room Tip: The Harbor Suite with the Harbor View definitely has a good view. The room quality is questionable...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your seasoned feedback and tips for our future guests. I regret to hear you were not totally satisfied with your room while staying with us. The photos you posted will help in making corrections. Also, your mention of the service you received from the pool server is noted. Our leadership team is committed to improve guest experience on all levels which can be seen in our improved review scores here on TripAdvisor. To that end, I am pleased to hear you mostly experienced consistently good service throughout your stay. One note for the benefit of members planning travel to the islands, if you have any questions regarding your room style and location, please call our pre-arrival team so we can go through all your options. We hope, after you look at other hotels on St. Thomas, you will again decide to join us. For our prime location and plethora of amenities featured, we feel we have the most to offer travelers to the Virgin Islands. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
#1 of 5 in East End
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
#1 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!