“Not overly accommodating”

Bluebeard's Castle Resort
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We checked in on a Friday night. The help at the desk seemed a bit unorganized and inattentive. We were supposed to get a welcome packet, but they forgot it. When we called the front desk about a different issue (wifi password), they told us that the wifi was down and that they would send the welcome packet down with porter. Despite being told it was on its way three times, we did not actually get it until we went up the next day when we made our scheduled move into a timeshare. It was pretty much impossible to get any follow through via phone with the front desk.I almost felt like I was interrupting their day. Our porter, Jamari, was excellent! As for the wifi issue, they do not have free wifi. It costs $23/wk or $7/day. I was never able to log in even after calling tech support. I would think that a resort like this would have free, reliable wifi. After all, I was able to use free wifi at the Dingy Bar on Water Island. But Bluebeards even charges to use the computers in the business center. The concierge was very helpful, and employeesin the restaurants and bars were very friendly and attentive.

Room Tip: While they say all rooms have a view, the one we were in had a giant bush that blocked much of our v...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Hotel has beautiful views and great restaurant, however it is NOT close to the beach. it is a ways up "the hill" and wouldn't not be advised any family walk it. An adventurous individual or couple, possibly, but only in the daylight. Best recommendation is to get a cab to a beach, but if you're regular beach goers this gets expensive.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My sister and I stayed for 2 nites in May 2014, went on to the island of St. John for a wedding week, then decided to cut our stay short on St. John and went back to Bluebeard's Castle for another 2 nites.

Our first stay was in an older bldg, but everything was very clean and well maintained. Our food in the restaurants was always very good and the bottled beer was very cold which I love. Front desk person was a little chilly but in no way rude. Views from restaurants are amazing. Didn't have a view from our Room 152, however, the covered deck/patio had its own almost private amazing view of grass, beautiful palms, flowers, bushes..... was it's own paradise.

On our 2nd stay, we were in Hilltop I, which is a newer bldg. We would have been happy even if were sent back to the older bldg.

Beds in both rooms were amazingly comfortable, probably best I have every encountered in motel rooms.

All staff, including everyone that greeted us, those that took our bags to & from our rooms, all the restaurant people, security guards, even a groundskeeper were all very nice.

People have to understand that some of the buildings are historic and therefore may not be up to "standards" of everyone. We only paid $66 (with AARP & AAA) per nite per person! I think that price can not be beat.

All complainers should invest a little more money in your nightly rate if you expect your version of perfection. To me this place was perfect and does not deserve some of the critiques I have read.

Plan to return again.

Room Tip: Although we were very happy with the room in the older building, if you want newer accommodations...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank JustMe2032
Reviewed 24 June 2014

First we were led to believe the hotel was right on the beach. Never were we told its on the mountain side. The views were spectacular, but we wanted a beach.
We were also told check out was 1pm, but it's not. It's a 10 am. and they charge $79 per hour every hour after 10 am.

When we checked in the ladies in the lobby were rude. It was not a good first impression.
And they continued to be rude the entire time. I asked a question about the grocery store and the woman didn't want to stop texting to answer me. I asked them about an excursion (since the concierge wasn't around) and all I got was a dirty look and told to come back another time.
The ONLY person on staff I dealt with that wasn't rude was the lady that would help with bags and get cabs out front. She is an older lady with corn braids. She always had a smile and very nice. SHE should go work in the lobby- or at least train the rest of the staff on how to be pleasant.

The hotel itself looks as if no one has done any maintenance to it in about 10 years. We had issues with our room and there solution rather than fix it right away was ask us to move for one day and then move back into the room. They have no store on the property so if you want a snack you can't buy one.

The concierge was never there. We wanted to book excursions, but couldn't. We ended up having to call places ourselves and make arrangements.

There isn't any internet access unless you pay a ridiculous fee. Even in the "business center" in the lobby they charge a dollar a minute to use the computer.

The staff is beyond rude, when housekeeping came and cleaned our room they took all the towels and didn't leave any. (mind you they only came once that whole week, and nothing looks clean and the room smelled funny) I went to the front desk in my 1 piece bathing suit and the woman started yelling at me that I can't be out of the room dressed like that, get out, get out. I tried to explain that they took our towels and we needed some, but she kept yelling about not being dressed.
My boyfriend asked if they could bring towels to the pool and they refused, saying they'd leave some in the room later.
They ended up putting them in a trash bag and tying it to our room door.

The restaurants on the property are horrible, with the exception of Room with a View. The staff there were very pleasant.
The Cabana Bar is a waste of time, go there if you want to be ignored.
The Banana Tree Grille is always empty and apparently according to the hostess it's because her staff can't handle it and she keeps those table empty on purpose.
The pool bar was ok..although the only pleasant person that worked there was only helping out a friend and didn't really work there...

I wouldn't go back to this hotel if they offered me free air fare and a free suite for a week.

There are tons of hotels on the island...anywhere would be better than this place

Room Tip: Book the Marriott for a good room, you won't find one here
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bell904
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Front desk clerk was indifferent and seemed annoyed with us that they had mixed up the reservations for the couple traveling with us. My husband and I got into our room fairly quickly, but the desk clerk kept our friends waiting 45 minutes, disappearing during their wait and asking them at one point to let her register a large group before she found them a room for a second night. After we got to our room, I was willing to pay their exorbitant cost for wi-fi, but the instructions they gave me didn't work. I called the front desk, but the clerk acted as though she couldn't care less about my problem. I then called the resort manager, but got his voice mail. He never returned my call.

Other than the front desk issue, the room was comfortable, the restaurants were good, wait staff were all friendly and helpful and the view was dynamite.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
seasoned_travler56, General Manager at Bluebeard's Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Barbara W,

It is always hard to reverse a bad first impression, however I know that overall we perform far better than what you experienced . I would be happy to discuss with you in greater detail if you would contact my office directly. If so, my direct line is 340-774-1600 ext 6001

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Came to St. Thomas for a short business trip . First, this location is a time share and not a hotel. For that reason some of the things that a business traveller might want are not available like free internet, daily maid service, and a restaurant that opens early enough to go to before heading to a morning work meeting.

Hotel is close to town, but recommend a car to get on and off the property unless someone picks you up. Beware the driving on the left .

Pool area is nice with bars and restaurants that are ok in the evening.

Would stay here again knowing what to expect, but wouldn't mind trying something else. Most other spots appear to be vacation resorts .

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear K157,

We value each and every comment from our guests and it was disconcerting to learn that some of our services did not meet your expectations. You are correct we are a Timeshare Resort and offer amenities that traditional hotels do not offer. On the other hand traditional hotels offer some amenities that we do not have.

Now that you have stayed with us we do hope to see you again.

Thank you again for taking time out of your day to write.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

This place is a dump. It's nothing like how it appears on line. The staff is the rudest, most ignorant bunch I've ever dealt with. From check in to check out, everyone was rude.
The worst by far are the 2 restaurants on the property. The Banana Tree Grille and the Cabana Bar. The Cabana Bar has a man working there, but he won't take your order or even acknowledge that you're there. If you ask him something he says "not my job"
The old lady hostess at Banana Tree gives rude and condescending a whole new meaning. For the prices they charge she could at least pretend to be a decent human being. The place was empty and when we tried to see if a table was available she all but yelled at us. She was very accommodating to the young couple that looked like they stepped out of a Ralph Lauren ad. A black couple (who was dressed every bit as nice as the white couple) was told they were done for the evening and nothing was available, go else where. ..mind you, it was around 7 pm and they' re open until 11 and seats at the bar were open.
A Room with a View was the only place here we were treated nicely. The hostess was pleasant. Our waiter Chris was fantastic and the food was very good. If you must eat here, go there.
All in all I'd never come back here. Not unless I suddenly desired a need to be talked down to and treated with no respect.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank tripz85

Dear tripz85,

How nice of you to recognize Chris from RWAV.

The restaurants located on the property are independently owned, I will pass your comments onto the owners.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas

Been to Bluebeard's Castle Resort? Share your experiences!