“4th visit - still love the place!”

Bluebeard's Castle Resort
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
“4th visit - still love the place!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We had a timeshare experience and a 1 night on-line booking experience. The timeshare is through RCI. I share the account with my mother. I anticipated a problem with name of the reservation but RCI assured me both names would be on the reservation. Wrong! However, Jackie, the lovely and professional front desk manager, allowed me to call my mother to get her permission to use the reservation and asked her to send an email confirmation. That could have really derailed the check-in experience but I knew that it was RCI’s fault, not Bluebeard’s Castle. The rest of the timeshare stay was fantastic! We stayed in a one bedroom in the Pirate’s Pension. The room was large and clean with plenty of space for our family of three. My 11 yr. old son was perfectly comfortable on the foldout couch in the living room. The king size bed had the best mattress I have slept on in a resort in ages. The Castle has really stepped up their game since our last visit in 2010. The landscaping is beautiful. Improvements to buildings ongoing. The pool still clean and cold. We used the resort as a home base and did a lot of day adventures which usually ended with a dip in the pool late in the evening. We had a couple of dinners in the room and enjoyed a great pizza at the Cabana Bar one evening. A tip, avoid karaoke night. It was mind-numbing and loud. Beach towel and bath towel exchange was handled by calling housekeeping and leaving the dirty towels in a mesh bag on your door. The room was cleaned on Wednesday with fresh towels and linens. There were no planned activities in the evenings like some would expect in a timeshare resort. I think the resort has the right idea that St. Thomas has a lot to offer and people should get out and enjoy it!

After 7 nights, we had to check out and move luggage. We were told to bring the bags to the bell stand but later learned that they could have retrieved our bags for us. The bags were secured and we left for our day of adventure. When we returned, we were given a key and sent to our room. It was once again in the Pirates Pension. However, I had booked a studio through Expedia and the room we were given was a 1 bedroom. Next issue, no bags in the room. After several calls and my husband going back up the hill to the front desk, it was determined that we had been given the wrong room and that our bags were in the studio. So, we moved again and spent our last night on St. Thomas. The room was clean but the bed was not nearly as comfortable.

The staff at the front desk are great. Jackie gave great restaurant recommendations too! This was our 4th visit to Bluebeard’s Castle and it has a special place in our hearts. We are so happy to see the resort bouncing back and making improvements. Loved the solar energy panels!

Room Tip: All rooms in the Pirate's Pension overlook the harbor and are a long, steep walk to the pool and...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
seasoned_travler56, General Manager at Bluebeard's Castle Resort, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Stephanie J,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We really appreciate that you took the time to share your positive impressions and experience at Blueberad's Castle.

Please come back again soon!

Steve Buckley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Layton, Utah
Reviewed 28 July 2014

When we opened the door, I can't tell you how surprised we were that the accommodations were so completely first class. The view amazing, the comfort and space we had was far more than could have dreamed. 2 full rooms, king bed in one two baths, kitchen, two plasma tvs, sofa bed/couch and the largest patio with view you could ask for. It was just my husband and I, but we had room for two more people with plenty room to spare. You would think the rate would be 400/night, NO under 120! Plus we are military and they gave us a discount. This place was so central to everything. My only regret is we were only there for four nights. If I could I would live in the unit we had! It was that nice and comfortable..

Room Tip: The villas were amazing.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank premed30
Dear premed30,

WOW...5 Stars how great is that!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. We couldn’t have said it better ourselves!

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Castle.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Thank you for writing.

Old Bridge, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 July 2014

You have to take this tour if you do nothing else. Here is a man, retired police officer & local to the Island, who takes pride in his homeland & the History of his home. Joe takes you to all the places you need to see & then some. You get History, poetry of the Island & can see the love he has for his home..... My Boyfriend & I had the best of time with him & he makes sure all needs are met :-) I was on a mission for Island flavor food ( was raised there in my childhood) & Mr.Joe made sure I got it :-) I feel as if Fernando & I have formed a new friendship with him...His tour is a must do!!! No other tour will compare

As for Bluebeard's Castle, Great place to stay( we stayed at Villas 3- studio room with a great view of the oceanfront where the ships come in), centrally located in Charlotte Amalie & you get your cardio workout walking up & down the hill to town. Property is well maintained, staff is willing to meet all needs if able...Hook up with Joyce(concierge) & she will help you to plan the memories of a lifetime!!

Melanie & Fernando

Room Tip: The Villa rooms offer a great view of the harbor & areas of the island, all rooms have a great v...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mochab64
Dear mochab64,

So glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Castle and we especially appreciate your kind words about K9 Joe and Joyce.

While K9 is not an employee at the Castle he is considered one of the family. We are delighted to have Joyce in our Concierge Department.

Please come back soon!

Reviewed 26 July 2014

After reading some negative reviews I was skeptical but.... What a pleasant surprise! I booked the studio (Castle Villas) and it was very roomy! It faced the bay so I had a wonderful view of the cruise ships. Very close to everything you want to do downtown....One thing I was very very very nervous about was since I was in a tropical place and older resort... I was afraid of seeing cockroaches. I can say for my seven day stay at Bluebeards I NEVER once saw a roach!!!! :) :) :) What a relief!!! The beaches are a short drive away.
The grounds were kept up, beautiful foliage... even saw Iggy a few times.

Room Tip: I stayed in the East Wing (Studio) 2nd floor. I've read that some people complain about the roo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cindy L
Dear Cindy L,

Thank you so much for your comments. Upon arrival and checkout the front desk staff were very attentive, nice and informative. The grounds were kept up, beautiful foliage.

Thanks for recognizing the efforts of our team....We all appreciate it!

Please come back soon!

Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Good place to stay. friendly staff, older rooms but looks like updates are coming. recent works looks to improve overall stay.
REMEMBER, this is not on a beach! but then, not all of us want that either!. Shopping is great with all the stores nearby in town. You can walk to the shops but dont walk back. The hill back up is a bit much. Plus walking around after dark is NOT recommend by the locals. Same as any big town you vacation in.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Jeff C
Maryland
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Had dinner on the terrace. Lovely view of the harbor at sunset. I recommend this highly. Steaks were very good and cooked to perfection. The waiter goofed on our dessert, brining the Flan instead of the requested crème brule. But, it was good anyway.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank buddy8304
Granbury, Texas
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My sister & I go to St. Thomas every year. This year we took our grand kids ages 5; 6 & 9. Our first time at Bluebeard's. We were skeptical due to negative reviews we read. We were pleasantly surprised & glad we stayed there. Very convenient sitting on a hill overlooking Charlotte Amalia on one side and Havensight on the other. You could actually get by without a car and walk 5 minutes to the Safari Bus stop in Charlotte Amalia if you want but it is quite a steep return up the hill. We were glad we had the car. We loved the view so much that we ate out on our patio almost every night. The pool was a hit with the kids. Rooms seem fairly newly remodeled. Large comfy room with a small kitchen area and full size fridge. When we checked in they did not realize we were all together due to the last names of the reservations. They had us in different buildings. Their staff were so nice and worked hard to not only get our rooms in the same building but attached with a door between the rooms. All staff were nice, friendly and helpful. The restaurant on site "A Room With A View" was nice. Beautiful views while dining. Their special salad dressing is wonderful and I bought some to take I home. All in all we had a great & pleasant experience at Bluebeard's and would love to return.

Room Tip: Building 2 has no elevator making it difficult to get luggage & groceries up to the top level...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End

Been to Bluebeard's Castle Resort? Share your experiences!