“Biggest mistake ever!”

Bluebeard's Castle Resort
“Biggest mistake ever!”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Okay, so we arrive August 13th. Take a taxi( $7/person,$2/bag) to this hotel. Go to check in and immediately the front desk female has a standoffish "what do you want" way about her. Tells us that we can't check in unless we have the groupon printed for her. She offers no suggestions on how to do so until we ask her how do you expect us to do that. She says use the computer it is .50cent a minute. Okay. Go to log in and it's $5 min, slow as ever, virus infested, windows popping up rapidly. When we are almost finished she offers us to forward it to her, but no refund for the $5 she failed to tell us about. We get checked into the room, go there and the sheets are dingy gray. The welcome packet tells us about brown water and to please forgive them, it's a city issue. The pool is small, the hot tub is painfully tiny! The banana tree resturant is outrageously priced and the food is bland and nothing special. The property has steps for days, most of which lead to a dead end wall. The tennis court is overgrown, ripped net, faded likes. Totally unusable. The "store" is closed, the spa is closed, and everything shuts down at 10pm except the pool until midnight. There is one soda machine on the property, but only use it if your playing musical drinks. I push water, get a coke. I push sprite, get an orange juice. I push fruit punch, get a Fuze tea with lemon( there wasn't even a button for that!!) I speak to the manger about it the next morning and she calls the vendor, they say since we Opened the drinks, no refund. I ask her, what were we supposed to do? It's 1am, we are freaking dry mouth thirsty, the water coming out of th facet is brown! And you have no other options on site!! She didn't care less. The taxi rides to the city and other areas of the island cost us $20 each way because they charge per person. Everyone is rude, standoffish, slow, arrogant. We would say how are you, thank you, please, have a nice day and would get an "uh huh", or silence in return. The only person we encountered with any friendliness was Rachel. She was arranged by the activities coordinator at the hotel to take us and pick us up from a night snorkel. She was beyond sweet. Amazing lady. Also the guy at th boat rentals on Magen's bay was good, he gave us a great deal on paddle boarding. Overall this hotel was a bad idea and at $130-$150 a night, it's a rip off. They didn't have anything other than swimming and eating to offer, after 10pm it's dead. The activities only run on predetermined days, so good luck doing something you are interested in if it's not listed under that current day. It's not close to the beach, it's a 15 min walk down hill and random steps to get to the city. Don't chance it. You'll be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2014
6 Thank Nicole R
seasoned_travler56, General Manager at Bluebeard's Castle Resort, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Ms. NicoleR,

I am truly disappointed that we left such an unfavorable impression on you. I assure you that the resort is committed to the high standards that we have been noted for. Our team makes every effort to offer our guests the best overall experience.

Thank you for your feedback.

Steve Buckley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We took the risk and exchanged to visit St. Thomas and stayed at Bluebeard's Castle. A lot of reviews were not especially complimentary but we decided to see for ourselves. I have to say we loved staying at Bluebeard's Castle. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the views were amazing. Definitely the best view in St. Thomas. We reserved a studio unit and it was clean, spacious, and recently updated. We were able to walk down into town in about 15 minutes. The hike back up the hill was definitely steep but for an active person was really not a problem. There is no beach nearby, but Magen's Bay is a short taxi ride away and definitely worth the trip. The pool a the resort was clean and lovely with a beautiful breeze all day. The onsite restaurants (2) were good and reasonably priced. We would definitely stay at Bleubeard's Castle again if we decided to go back to St. Thomas in the future.

Room Tip: The hiltop villas offer an dexcellent view to Charlotte Amalie.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Susan W
Dear SusanW,

We appreciate you taking the time to post a thoughtfull review of your experience here at the Castle.

We all hope to see you again soon.

Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 9 August 2014

The resort's website overpromised and the resort under delivered. Painfully slow check-in. No bellman. Carried luggage up and down two flights of stairs. Spa closed. Market closed. Dining Room Closed. No daily housekeeping service. Had to phone Housekeeping for clean towels. Coffee not available until 8:00am at the pool bar. Requested DVD player. Delivered but not hooked up. 10:00am check-out is unreasonable. The bed was comfortable and we slept well. Convenient to shopping ~ which was the purpose of our trip.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kyle L
Dear Kyle L,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving your feedback. We are pleased you liked the convenient location of our Resort.

We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations.

I appreciate your feedback.

Dear Trip Advisor readers we are a Timeshare Resort and as such offer wonderful options that a traditional hotel is not able to. Please call or email me with any questions at 340-774-1600 or sbuckley@spmresorts.com.

Tampa, FL
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The "Upgraded rooms" in Hilltop 2 were an average/mediocre quality. There is a king size bed, and a couch sleeper sofa, a small partial kitchen with 2 stop top burners, microwave, apt size fridge, microwave, coffee pot. The exceptional part was a Kick-butt view of the Harbor. Wonderful. With a balcony to sit out on to enjoy it.

As stated in other reviews, the property needs work. It is worn, up a very steep hill. $4 per person to go into town by cab. Then we rode the "buses" mostly around town which is $1-$2 each way, or a taxi for $8-$12 to area interests.

Extremely hard bed. Like the floor hard. And I like hard beds. :( Wifi was $22.50/week and was great.

The exceptional is also shown in their restaurants. Banana Tree Grille is THE VERY BEST restaurant I have ever been in. The snack bar, while we had low expectations, was a WOW burger. And the Cabana bar had very poor service, but great food.

Centrally located near town, you can walk down to Charlotte Amalie. The people who work here were mostly nice, but not exceptional. A few were exceptional compared to the rest of the St Thomas "slightly unfriendly" average.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Froggy1313
Dear Froggy1313,

It continues to be extremely beneficial for the management of our resort to receive feedback on Trip Advisor. We enjoy the positive remarks which let us know that we’re on the right track while constructive criticism is especially valuable as it allows us the opportunity to make our resort better by immediately acting on our shortcomings.

Eatontown, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Bluebeards is definitely past its prime. It reminds me of most of the timeshare based properties we stay at when we use our RCI points. It is mostly clean but definitely shows lots of wear and tear and is very out of date. The view is good. It sits on a hill at the end of the main part of Charlotte Amalie so you have a nice view looking out at the harbor. We had a rental car so the location was central for us- without a car the location could be a challenge. The resort is up a very long, steep hill so even walking down to the main town and back would be time consuming and arduous. Also, the resort is not near any beaches or activities, so you would have to arrange taxi transport to wherever you want to spend your day.
The pool is small. The tennis courts are unusable from the looks of them- all cracked and uneven with grass growing everywhere.
Our room was nothing special. It was one of the Studio sizes, which was plenty of space for the two of us. It was clean. The "closet" was half taken up by some sort of water tank/heater? which was odd, but there was plenty of drawers in the main area and a dressing table that came in handy. The studio kitchenette would not have been enough space if we really wanted to cook and there was zero cabinet space for groceries- we had to set anything not refrigerated out on the counter.
Customer service was pretty blah- My husband had spoken to RCI prior to our stay to upgrade our room from a Studio to a larger one- of course when we got there- we were told only the Studio was available even after the RCI people had "confirmed" the upgrade.. the front desk staff could have cared less- the attitude was sort of "take it or leave it". Also when I called the front desk to ask if I could get an extra coffee packet (we hadn't had a chance to go to town for groceries yet) I was very curtly informed the first one was a "welcome gift" and I needed to go by my own coffee if I wanted more.. like it was going to bankrupt them if they let me have one packet more..
All and all it was a fine place to use as a base for our scuba trip, but I wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kgrisham
Dear Kgrisham,

We appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your experience at Bluebeard's Castle.

It is only through the valuable feedback that we receive from guests such as you that enables us to continue to improve our service.

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We had a timeshare experience and a 1 night on-line booking experience. The timeshare is through RCI. I share the account with my mother. I anticipated a problem with name of the reservation but RCI assured me both names would be on the reservation. Wrong! However, Jackie, the lovely and professional front desk manager, allowed me to call my mother to get her permission to use the reservation and asked her to send an email confirmation. That could have really derailed the check-in experience but I knew that it was RCI’s fault, not Bluebeard’s Castle. The rest of the timeshare stay was fantastic! We stayed in a one bedroom in the Pirate’s Pension. The room was large and clean with plenty of space for our family of three. My 11 yr. old son was perfectly comfortable on the foldout couch in the living room. The king size bed had the best mattress I have slept on in a resort in ages. The Castle has really stepped up their game since our last visit in 2010. The landscaping is beautiful. Improvements to buildings ongoing. The pool still clean and cold. We used the resort as a home base and did a lot of day adventures which usually ended with a dip in the pool late in the evening. We had a couple of dinners in the room and enjoyed a great pizza at the Cabana Bar one evening. A tip, avoid karaoke night. It was mind-numbing and loud. Beach towel and bath towel exchange was handled by calling housekeeping and leaving the dirty towels in a mesh bag on your door. The room was cleaned on Wednesday with fresh towels and linens. There were no planned activities in the evenings like some would expect in a timeshare resort. I think the resort has the right idea that St. Thomas has a lot to offer and people should get out and enjoy it!

After 7 nights, we had to check out and move luggage. We were told to bring the bags to the bell stand but later learned that they could have retrieved our bags for us. The bags were secured and we left for our day of adventure. When we returned, we were given a key and sent to our room. It was once again in the Pirates Pension. However, I had booked a studio through Expedia and the room we were given was a 1 bedroom. Next issue, no bags in the room. After several calls and my husband going back up the hill to the front desk, it was determined that we had been given the wrong room and that our bags were in the studio. So, we moved again and spent our last night on St. Thomas. The room was clean but the bed was not nearly as comfortable.

The staff at the front desk are great. Jackie gave great restaurant recommendations too! This was our 4th visit to Bluebeard’s Castle and it has a special place in our hearts. We are so happy to see the resort bouncing back and making improvements. Loved the solar energy panels!

Room Tip: All rooms in the Pirate's Pension overlook the harbor and are a long, steep walk to the pool and...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
seasoned_travler56, General Manager at Bluebeard's Castle Resort, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Stephanie J,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We really appreciate that you took the time to share your positive impressions and experience at Blueberad's Castle.

Please come back again soon!

Layton, Utah
Reviewed 28 July 2014

When we opened the door, I can't tell you how surprised we were that the accommodations were so completely first class. The view amazing, the comfort and space we had was far more than could have dreamed. 2 full rooms, king bed in one two baths, kitchen, two plasma tvs, sofa bed/couch and the largest patio with view you could ask for. It was just my husband and I, but we had room for two more people with plenty room to spare. You would think the rate would be 400/night, NO under 120! Plus we are military and they gave us a discount. This place was so central to everything. My only regret is we were only there for four nights. If I could I would live in the unit we had! It was that nice and comfortable..

Room Tip: The villas were amazing.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank premed30
Dear premed30,

WOW...5 Stars how great is that!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. We couldn’t have said it better ourselves!

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Castle.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Thank you for writing.

Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa

Been to Bluebeard's Castle Resort? Share your experiences!